❔ QUESTION The sound of I4 version exhaust ?

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What is the sound of I4 version stock exhaust ?Is it similar to Mercedes A45S?

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nobody outside Lotus has heard it yet (or at least, nobody is telling) ... I for one am dying to hear it, and I hope it sounds different to the A45 to be honest. A bit less pop-pop melodrama, a lot more rasp, would be nice IMHO.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don‘t have much hopes on the sound. Regulations are just too restrictive. I heard a few A45s and they are sounding completely boring. When I was looking for a new car three years ago I test drove an A35 AMG, same block, but other turbos and so on which leads to roundabout 300 hp. My daily at that time was a BMW M 140i. The AMG was a complete joke compared to the BMW. No comparison soundwise to the straight six and power delivery was even worse. The BMW is a bit heavier and has around 30 hp more, but they felt like a 100. That‘s why I‘m not a fan of those tiny AMG engines, even considering that there is a big difference between A35 and A45.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I don‘t have much hopes on the sound. Regulations are just too restrictive. I heard a few A45s and they are sounding completely boring. When I was looking for a new car three years ago I test drove an A35 AMG, same block, but other turbos and so on which leads to roundabout 300 hp. My daily at that time was a BMW M 140i. The AMG was a complete joke compared to the BMW. No comparison soundwise to the straight six and power delivery was even worse. The BMW is a bit heavier and has around 30 hp more, but they felt like a 100. That‘s why I‘m not a fan of those tiny AMG engines, even considering that there is a big difference between A35 and A45.
The BMW engines always sound better - well mostly :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The i4 will have a PPF/GPF (the V6 just has 3x cats and no PPF/GPF) so to some extent the sound will be constrained by that.

tjlazer

Reaction score
To be honest if it sounds good in the car I don’t care so much what the note of the exhaust is outside. Practical example gt4 my20 vs my16. Outside big difference inside not really. My c63 outside HOLY F&@K, inside rrrrumble (a lot of sound insulation on a MB!). Let’s wait and see, having driven an Alpine I was really impressed with how they tuned that, I’m sure Lotus will not screw it up, they know it’s part of the sport car experience.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I hope for the brands sake it sounds good but I'd bet my deposit it sounds just as every other 4 cylinder turbo engine ever made. If you like pops and crackles with lots of attention the 4 cylinder emira will be perfect for that

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lucky for EU market, you guys have choices. Unfortunately, Lotus will not introduce the V6 version into Chinese market. :(

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I hope for the brands sake it sounds good but I'd bet my deposit it sounds just as every other 4 cylinder turbo engine ever made. If you like pops and crackles with lots of attention the 4 cylinder emira will be perfect for that
I like the previous GT410 sound with the exterior and interior of EMIRA. Unfortunately, there's no V6 version in China. So annoying.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There is a brief clip in the Lotus: A New Dawn documentary that I believe reveals some of the sound of the AMG I4. It's in a drivetrain test mule that has Evora body panels attached as camouflage.

At 3:15 - Unlisted on YouTube - Lotus: A New Dawn
I also think you are right with the i4. And I'm sure Lotus will do there best and the engine will sound good. Just not as special as the V6. Those times are just over with that one exception of Lotus cheating away the particulate filter for the 2022 V6 cars, because they are only a small volume manufacturer, which will change in 2023. That's why I think from next year on the V6 will lack a lot of it's greatness in sound due to the OPF that it has to come with.
And by the way: I didn't know that documentary, but It' a really good one, not only for hearing the i4! Thanks for that.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I also think you are right with the i4. And I'm sure Lotus will do there best and the engine will sound good. Just not as special as the V6. Those times are just over with that one exception of Lotus cheating away the particulate filter for the 2022 V6 cars, because they are only a small volume manufacturer, which will change in 2023. That's why I think from next year on the V6 will lack a lot of it's greatness in sound due to the OPF that it has to come with.
And by the way: I didn't know that documentary, but It' a really good one, not only for hearing the i4! Thanks for that.
Just watch the Emira video at Laguna Sec. The V6 engine howl and whine of the supercharger is intoxicating.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There is a brief clip in the Lotus: A New Dawn documentary that I believe reveals some of the sound of the AMG I4. It's in a drivetrain test mule that has Evora body panels attached as camouflage.

At 3:15 - Unlisted on YouTube - Lotus: A New Dawn
This video is a great find... gonna go and watch the whole lot on the big TV now (y)

Well spotted (heard?) on the sound... at least there is a little bit of growl in there. I reserve further judgement until we hear it on full song. I'm under no illusions about it being not as good as the V6 to listen to, but I'm cautiously optimistic it can be made to sound more appealing than a farting bees nest (props to @PaulP for that quality metaphor :D)