The infotainment screen…

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Is anyone else kind of underwhelmed, or even disappointed by the way infotainment screens are currently integrated into automotive interiors? I was in my wife’s Audi Q5 this afternoon and the screen just sticks up precariously from the center of the dash. Then in my son’s Mazda 3…same thing. Was in a friend’s BMW 435 and the same thing. Seems like one good smack and any of them would snap off. I suspect that air vents and other dash functions get in the way, but the placement just seems so unimaginative. So many interiors look essentially the same these days. The corvette interior is a bit gaudy, but at least there’s some innovation. How do others feel about this?

Lotusrat

Reaction score
I like my 2020 370Z 50th, with no screen, but agree someone took the same design classes.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is anyone else kind of underwhelmed, or even disappointed by the way infotainment screens are currently integrated into automotive interiors? I was in my wife’s Audi Q5 this afternoon and the screen just sticks up precariously from the center of the dash. Then in my son’s Mazda 3…same thing. Was in a friend’s BMW 435 and the same thing. Seems like one good smack and any of them would snap off. I suspect that air vents and other dash functions get in the way, but the placement just seems so unimaginative. So many interiors look essentially the same these days. The corvette interior is a bit gaudy, but at least there’s some innovation. How do others feel about this?
I agree. A complete lack of design imagination. The screens are well integrated in my 2019 Acura TLX, and not at all in the 2021 version. It's why I refused a trade in for a new model . New isn't always better .

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I currently drive an E350 cabrio and was about to upgrade to the 2021 AMG E53 until the EMIRA was announced. Main reason, it has the current long rectangular info system across the dash that has the little click pad that I use mostly now, along with touch screen if you want, but I prefer to avoid a smudgy screen. It also retains hard buttons for key things like temperature and heated seats. It will soon be replaced with the big ipad you need to look down at and press the screen for almost anything. Usually I’d want some “new” feature in the future model - not the case at all here! From what I can see the EMIRA system looks perfect as it’s eye level and will have car play (or android which I’m not familiar with). The main feature I’d love to have but I doubt will be offered is cooling vented & heated seats in the alcantara with yellow stitching (They could probably take my money no matter what the cost would be).

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think the “nailed on iPad” look will pass. People are already realising the dangers of touchscreens for controls you need to use regularly while driving. As a means of displaying secondary info I think they’re fine.

The head of User Interface design for the Emira is ex McLaren and Renault. His team have taken a “for the drivers” approach to the controls and screens. So primary stuff is in the display behind the steering wheel and primary controls (like aircon) are tactile not touchscreen. Hearing about the effort they’ve put in, it should be good.

The design team have also had access to the other studios in the group (Geely, Volvo, Polestar, Lynk etc) for design and component input. Plus a free rein on any bespoke elements they wanted to do. Take a close look and you’ll see the icon on the aircon airflow button is wearing a helmet and looks like the Stig :)