Targa Tasmania 2022 tragedy

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Tasmania plays host every year to a week-long driving championship around the island — it’s one of Australia’s premium events, and is always well supported by Lotus, as well as featuring an amazing collection of other supercar brands.

On day one this year, things got hairy when a Lotus Exige Sport 350 collided into a power pole near George Town. No one was injured.

5ED16E12-7987-4DA1-B7E5-F95EEB868B05.jpeg

Tragically, on day two, another Lotus driver lost his life. As the media report said:

The 59-year-old veteran racer was driving a bright yellow 2013 Lotus Exige in the GT outright class competition when he crashed down sn embankment.

641A0773-E729-45F7-8AD7-9B146A06D2BB.jpeg

A sad time for the Australian Lotus community, and the motor racing community in general.

The race will continue until the weekend, but all cars will be limited to the ordinary road speed limits. We had three deaths last year, so I’m not sure what this will mean for Targa Tasmania going forward.

Last edited:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's just awful news, so sad. 😟

At the end of the day a Lotus is just a car and can be replaced, but someone's life cannot. My condolences to the family and friends who have been impacted by this tragedy.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
RIP Tony Seymour, seasoned Targa competitor and stalwart of the Lotus community. Thoughts with his wife (and co-driver - Injured in the crash) and family and friends.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh jesus, the driver died? I thought only the car was destroyed. I feel like a supreme fucking prick right now

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Oh jesus, the driver died? I thought only the car was destroyed. I feel like a supreme fucking prick right now

Not at all @SlavaUkraini, it’s really appreciated that you saw the post.

It’s still sinking in here… all so close to home (literally). I was even thinking of entering next year, as the Lotus Australia guys are always super keen for entrants. It would’ve been a superb way to show off the new vehicles. It’s also my only way to get the Emira serviced — I can’t take it back to the mainland every year (no dealers in Tassie) so they offered to get their Targa team to do the checkover.

I’ll let you all know what the Motoring Federation decides to do…

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not at all @SlavaUkraini, it’s really appreciated that you saw the post.

It’s still sinking in here… all so close to home (literally). I was even thinking of entering next year, as the Lotus Australia guys are always super keen for entrants. It would’ve been a superb way to show off the new vehicles. It’s also my only way to get the Emira serviced — I can’t take it back to the mainland every year (no dealers in Tassie) so they offered to get their Targa team to do the checkover.

I’ll let you all know what the Motoring Federation decides to do…
It’s such a tragedy. I’m sure he was aware of the risks but still, you never expect it. My heart goes out to his wife and family. May he Rest In Peace.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Lotus Australia family paid humble tribute during a lap of honour around Bathurst in memory of Tony Seymour who tragically lost his life in the Targa Tasmania event this year. What a beautiful send off from the Lotus Australia community! So great to see the Emira participate as well. R.I.P. Tony.

Last edited: