Steering wheel option update

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like we'll be able to spec full leather wheels with colored 12 o'clock indicator stripes! Personally, I'm really happy to hear this as Alcantara doesn't typically hold up too well overtime.

*9/21/21 update: Sadly, it now appears only V6 automatics will have the option to choose color stitching and center marker for their steering wheel. An internal memo has gone out stating V6 manuals will only have the option for all black leather or all black Alcantara wheels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-184621_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-184621_Instagram.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
That's great news. I'd prefer to go with leather wrapped wheel and red stripe. It would match the steering wheel in my Raptor. (y)

boozyjay

Reaction score
Sounds like we'll be able to spec full leather wheels with colored 12 o'clock indicator stripes! Personally, I'm really happy to hear this as Alcantara doesn't typically hold up too well overtime.
Nor does leather though, it goes all shiny over time. It's a catch 22.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Awesome news! Wh chat is this? Can he/she send me a soundbite of the I4 exhaust and confirm pricing in my country you think ;):)??

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome news! Wh chat is this? Can he/she send me a soundbite of the I4 exhaust and confirm pricing in my country you think ;):)??
This is on Instagram

Jonno

Reaction score
Xlent! That really was a dilemma for me, albeit only a small one. I've owned several Porkers with Alcantara wheel and although great to hold, just don't wear that well. But.....a yellow centre marker on leather for me is perfect :) Only issue I have now is suspension setup? That one may be a difficult choice to make...................

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Alcantara with yellow for me…. Because #RaceCar 😂 but with a Touring setup forScottish roads

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Xlent! That really was a dilemma for me, albeit only a small one. I've owned several Porkers with Alcantara wheel and although great to hold, just don't wear that well. But.....a yellow centre marker on leather for me is perfect :) Only issue I have now is suspension setup? That one may be a difficult choice to make...................
On suspension, if you're going to use it mainly on road with a few track days then go for Touring and maybe use the Cup tyres on track (although the Eagles will be great). If it's going to be used mainly on track then take the Sports suspension but bear in mind replacing the Cups with Eagles for road use will be more of a compromise. This is based on advice from Gav Kershaw at Lotus, who is responsible for Emira ride and handling.

Jonno

Reaction score
On suspension, if you're going to use it mainly on road with a few track days then go for Touring and maybe use the Cup tyres on track (although the Eagles will be great). If it's going to be used mainly on track then take the Sports suspension but bear in mind replacing the Cups with Eagles for road use will be more of a compromise. This is based on advice from Gav Kershaw at Lotus, who is responsible for Emira ride and handling.
That’s sort of added weight to my current thinking, thanx.
The Emira will be used almost exclusively for road trips in the UK and Europe where the roads are not always billiard table smooth, far from it at times. My concern would be if there was too much compromise on handling and fun. Hopefully not 🤞

Reactions: vdr

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That’s sort of added weight to my current thinking, thanx.
The Emira will be used almost exclusively for road trips in the UK and Europe where the roads are not always billiard table smooth, far from it at times. My concern would be if there was too much compromise on handling and fun. Hopefully not 🤞
The Touring setup and standard Eagles is exactly what you need for those kinds of roads. Lotus do development and testing on the Norfolk roads around the Hethel factory, which are far from perfect, as well as over to places like Stelvio.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, it now appears only V6 automatics will have the option to choose color stitching and center marker for their steering wheel. An internal memo has gone out stating V6 manuals will only have the option for all black leather or all black Alcantara wheels. :cry:

falconexe

Reaction score
Sadly, it now appears only V6 automatics will have the option to choose color stitching and center marker for their steering wheel. An internal memo has gone out stating V6 manuals will only have the option for all black leather or all black Alcantara wheels. :cry:

Yeah this was confirmed by my dealer @GatorMotorsport as well. Possibly something to do with the paddle shifters on the auto steering wheels and or Lotus trying to shift people to autos. What is hilarious and sad about this news is that the very people who would want the 12 o'clock detail are the very same people who would buy the V6 Manual.

I'm really hoping this option comes back after the FEs are done.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah this was confirmed by my dealer @GatorMotorsport as well. Possibly something to do with the paddle shifters on the auto steering wheels and or Lotus trying to shift people to autos. What is hilarious and sad about this news is that the very people who would want the 12 o'clock detail are the very same people who would buy the V6 Manual.

I'm really hoping this option comes back after the FEs are done.
Exactly, chaos. It can't be true. Is it April already......????

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Sucks, but I guess it's not a deal breaker for me. The VW/Audi world has a ton of options for affordable aftermarket custom wheels (reshaped, custom stitching, carbon, forged carbon, Alcantara, perforated leather, etc.). Hopefully someone like Greg's Race Parts will offer something similar for us.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Sucks, but I guess it's not a deal breaker for me. The VW/Audi world has a ton of options for affordable aftermarket custom wheels (reshaped, custom stitching, carbon, forged carbon, Alcantara, perforated leather, etc.). Hopefully someone like Greg's Race Parts will offer something similar for us.
It's an easy retrim for less than the Lotus cost at £400
But why Lotus would only offer it from factory on the auto is just bonkers lol

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the I4 FE will have the option of leather wheel with coloured inserts. I imagine the flappy paddles would be identical to those on the V6 auto, so can’t see any reason why the steering wheel options won’t be the same.

Sincerely hope that’s the case.

Jonno

Reaction score
That makes no sense at all does it? People most likely to want centre marker are those buying the manual. Now come on Lotus….. 🙄

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I contacted Lotus directly regarding the steering wheel trim on the V6 manual and got the following response:

In October full pricing, finance offers, specifications and configurations will be available also. Lotus are aiming to commence deliveries from July 2022.

I can confirm there will be some choices of trim for the steering wheel and on the V6 model contrast stitching is available.

Still not 100% clear. I guess we'll wait for official ordering to see what options we have then.

Last edited: