Steering wheel noise when turning

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a noise from the steering wheel while turning? I notice it most in car parks when turning fairly tightly.
I'd describe it as a flat clicking (clacking?) noise like two bits of plastic snapping against each other or a piece of plastic cracking.

Barcino2012

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you are describing the noise when you turn it against either end position, yes I have that clacking mechanic noise, as it hits against a non bumpered stop…..but I am not sure if a defect, as if you gently get to the end position, no noise

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If you are describing the noise when you turn it against either end position, yes I have that clacking mechanic noise, as it hits against a non bumpered stop…..but I am not sure if a defect, as if you gently get to the end position, no noise
Yes, sounds like the same thing. It tends to happen if I turn the wheel quickly but I don't think it has to reach all the way to the bumpered stop. Wil check next time.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Pretty sure mine does what you're describing. I put it down to the undertray panels flexing and rubbing as the car twists slightly when turning sharply at low speed.

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it like the video attached? My car has started doing it. This car is getting progressively worse.
Possibly, but yours is so much worse that it's hard to tell if it's the same thing.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Is it like the video attached? My car has started doing it. This car is getting progressively worse.
i had the same issue on a BMW before. Dealer worked on the steering column a few times and it helped but never went away. Still can hear it faintly. I don’t know what it is but I feel like it’s happened to the last few cars I owned. Current Macan does that but very faintly from time to time. I wonder if it’s caused by heat from being parked outside and under the sun.

Barcino2012

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Wow, no mine is not anything like that. I only hear a single clank if I get to end of the steering rack, I think probably normal. I would have yours looked at soon, or remove front under panels of you are so inclined and have a lift…..

Toby L

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
not great... and you have already replaced the steering pump before?
Yep, steering pump was replaced. There was also a cracking noise which turned out to be a chassis plate that needed to be tightened. Everything was nice and quiet until I had my first service done a few weeks ago. I’ve yet to tell the dealer about this new noise.

Toby L

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
i had the same issue on a BMW before. Dealer worked on the steering column a few times and it helped but never went away. Still can hear it faintly. I don’t know what it is but I feel like it’s happened to the last few cars I owned. Current Macan does that but very faintly from time to time. I wonder if it’s caused by heat from being parked outside and under the sun.
Unlikely it being caused by the Sun. I live in the UK 🙂

BSC

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a noise from the steering wheel while turning? I notice it most in car parks when turning fairly tightly.
I'd describe it as a flat clicking (clacking?) noise like two bits of plastic snapping against each other or a piece of plastic cracking.
Hi Nick. I had a similar creaking sound at low speed turning (light turns and even full turns). SSC Melbourne reported a few cars had this problem. They had to remove the front under tray and tighten/drill multiple rivets and place some felt in between. The magnitude of the sound went down by 90%

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So much for QC
On the Evora GT every nut and bolt was checked and marked at QC
Not knocking the car I love it but quality control not up to par for a $100 K car
In the US they are having to replace a number of faulty steering columns
Not sure is this is connected to the problem you are having.