• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Steering clunk when manoeuvring

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Any one had it? Not the Akerman effect from the tyres, this is an audible clunk slow maneuvering with full or near full lock on. You feel it through the wheel as well.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is the Ackerman effect isn’t it.
Tyres skipping feels like the suspension is clunking.

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That is the Ackerman effect isn’t it.
Tyres skipping feels like the suspension is clunking.
No it's definitely not I can feel that as well, this is more a definite one off clunk than the akerman juddering

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a swaybar endlink too. There could be something that's not torqued down correctly.

Bring it to the dealer if you're able to replicate it for them.

FrenchBred

Reaction score

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine does not like absolute full lock - clunk then but absolutely fine if you just stop a tiny fraction short of full lock.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can confirm clunk on full lock. Regardless which direction. Easing into the "end" doesn't produce a clunk

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm assured by both my dealer and lotus themselves that this is normal 😳🤷🏻

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Full lock when reversing in my 2004 996 C4S gives an unpleasant dragging, scrubbing feeling - down to combination of steering geometry and camber when on full lock. I've also had a clunk on full lock on other cars and it's never worried me, don't think it is anything to be concerned about - will let you know how it is in my Emira next week.

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Full lock when reversing in my 2004 996 C4S gives an unpleasant dragging, scrubbing feeling - down to combination of steering geometry and camber when on full lock. I've also had a clunk on full lock on other cars and it's never worried me, don't think it is anything to be concerned about - will let you know how it is in my Emira next week.
The scrubbing sensation is the Ackerman effect due to geometry, the clunk is something different

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The scrubbing sensation is the Ackerman effect due to geometry,
Thank you, great fact - every day is a schoolday! It was an old Celica I had that had a clonk at the end of the steering travel. Unlike many many things in life or a bad round of golf, despite the clonking the wheels never came off...