Speed Limiters for all Emira's!!!!

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Slightly misleading scary title, but for those who are unaware, there will be mandatory speed limiter "warning" systems fitted to all new cars this year,which unfortunately means we will see this in the Emira.

Good news is , from what I have read , is that these can be turned off manually, however annoying it will be to have to do this everytime you start the car.

Any other views and updates on this are appreciated

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As per post from TomE when discussed in another post

"There's a requirement for speed limiters to be fitted for cars gaining type approval after a date later this year (May or June I think), but the Emira will have type approval before then and hence doesn't have to comply."

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As per post from TomE when discussed in another post

"There's a requirement for speed limiters to be fitted for cars gaining type approval after a date later this year (May or June I think), but the Emira will have type approval before then and hence doesn't have to comply."
Apologies, I had missed this.

Great news if it falls under this exclusion

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Won't be fitted on the V6 FE. Waiting for confirmation on whether the timing of the i4 FE type approval will mean it is exempt too. The Base Edition cars shouldn't need separate type approval, so will follow the same approach as the relevant FE.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think from 2024 all cars even if already type approved also have to have this stupidity included e.g. new registrations from 2024. This is all part of the EU next wave of 'safety' requirements - impact goes as far as cars like the Toyota GR86 will stop being sold in Europe from 2024 as its not worth adding all the requirements to a low sales car.
Based on EU emission and safety regs forthcoming, we're going to see a lot less low volume cars heading to Europe e.g. Nissan Z.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's right - I think it's 2024 but yes there is a second stage of the requirement and it will have to be added after a certain date. With stricter emissions regs coming in 2025/26 too, cars are becoming increasingly strangled and constrained. Enjoy them while you can!

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That's right - I think it's 2024 but yes there is a second stage of the requirement and it will have to be added after a certain date. With stricter emissions regs coming in 2025/26 too, cars are becoming increasingly strangled and constrained. Enjoy them while you can!
Yet another reason why I'm justifying buying an Emira (not that I really need one)

This will be one of the last great ICE's and what a beauty

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yet another reason why I'm justifying buying an Emira (not that I really need one)

This will be one of the last great ICE's and what a beauty
Same, its well over my usual price range (by a lot!) but as the era I love for cars is coming to an end and I've been searching for an interesting and special car with a manual box for quite some time, there is nothing that comes close. GT4 (if you can get one), maybe but its quite hardcore for a road car, 718 GTS doesnt feel 'that' special, 911's a bit big and heavy now. Doesnt leave many manual options out there after those...

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Same, its well over my usual price range (by a lot!) but as the era I love for cars is coming to an end and I've been searching for an interesting and special car with a manual box for quite some time, there is nothing that comes close. GT4 (if you can get one), maybe but its quite hardcore for a road car, 718 GTS doesnt feel 'that' special, 911's a bit big and heavy now. Doesnt leave many manual options out there after those...
718 GTS 4.0 doesnt feel special? The car is fantastic. It also has fantastic reviews. Here is another. As excited as I am for the Emira, no one even knows how it is going to drive. At least we know the GTS 4.0 is a fantastic car

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This thread would be the perfect one for asking you knowledgeable lot...
As a continuation of this question, I heard about other additions such as a black box equivalent to new cars to be able to be examined following an accident. Again it was time dependent on approval I believe.

Has anybody else heard of this? I certainly hadn't heard of any speed limiter. Glad we're missing the boat on that one!

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hi every one..... there a few things that seem to be coming to cars I dont like or want......one.... track my driving apps.... get cheapper insurance :eek: erm have not crashed for ..... no speeding..... so i now need an app to get cheaper cover. and all the other snooping tech they want us to have

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi every one..... there a few things that seem to be coming to cars I dont like or want......one.... track my driving apps.... get cheapper insurance :eek: erm have not crashed for ..... no speeding..... so i now need an app to get cheaper cover. and all the other snooping tech they want us to have
That's exactly my thinking. I read that it wouldn't be used by x/y/z but just there for some other purpose. But We all know that things get monitored and recorded despite the pleas of innocence from the tech companies. I too have no crashes/convictions. But I can't promise to have never crept 1 or 2 miles an hour over the speed limit. And I wouldn't want my insure to be invalidated because of it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Soon you won't have to worry about that over-enthusiastic few miles over the limit, because the car won't let you do it.

torstin

Reaction score
Soon you won't have to worry about that over-enthusiastic few miles over the limit, because the car won't let you do it.
And these cars will soon ignore your request to drive you to tesco and instead - take you directly to the nearest police station because of a meme you shared on WhatsApp

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
718 GTS 4.0 doesnt feel special? The car is fantastic. It also has fantastic reviews. Here is another. As excited as I am for the Emira, no one even knows how it is going to drive. At least we know the GTS 4.0 is a fantastic car
I didnt say its not a great sports car, Ive spent a lot of time in one (manual), the chassis is epic and the engine sounds stunning, but the gearing is so long you can drive pretty much everywhere in 3rd. When I say 'that' special, I just mean there are lots and lots of Cayman/718s on the road, I see several a day and for the price of a new / specc'd up GTS I'd just want something more unique and visually striking (to me - its all subjective) :)