Spec'd up Base OR FE -Is there much in it?

ARA

Reaction score
im bored...so thinking

I have placed my deposit for a V6 FE (manual). However, I do wonder what the alternative base car numbers and package look like overall . Is the difference too close to call once the desired options box is ticked. I read that there is a 3k saving on the FE, but I presume that is a like for like 'all boxes' ticked comparison.

If i picked a base, the essentials that I would want:

Performance: V6, Manual, LSD, drivers pack
Exterior: white car, choice of colours on brake calipers, lower black pack, black badges, forged alloys
Interior: 4 way seats, alcantara everyewhere for the race feel/look, alcantara wheel, not bothered about a sound system or cruise control etc, (some of the convenience pack not all in an ideal world for me)...as i type this it sounds like i want the basic but have to pick all 3 packs to get the bits i want on top

So the FE does sound like a good deal if the 3k is a real saving. Is the 3k worth the wait for a white car?

I guess you have already had this debate..im new to the party so please forgive me and point me in the right direction of the thread

thanks

Difficult I am wondering the same I suppose it entirely depends on what 2023 actually means for the base model and timings. When I bought the Alpine it was a no brainer because I wanted all the items and production was so limited it was very exclusive whereas FE I am less bothered but some of the extras and struggle to see what the £10k or so buys. I am sure all will become clear :)

I think it will be very clear which is the better option V6 FE or V6 Base plus options. Just not sure which is the better yet. Nothing special about he FE models except an oddly placed badge and earlier delivery

I have a feeling the FE will look like a good deal given the likely price hikes due to material/supplier cost increases since Lotus announced the Emira last year. Look at the cost of aluminum over the past year - 60%! I just hope Lotus doesn't announce a price hike before first deliveries are made, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2022-03-02 at 09.21.06@2x.png
    CleanShot 2022-03-02 at [email protected]
    40.1 KB · Views: 42
Surely they have got to honour £59,995 for at least the first of the base orders
Well I truly hope so, but we are in unprecedented times. The cheapest Tesla Model 3 in 2019 was 35k, now the cheapest option is 10k more. Gross margins for manufacturers is around 8-10% and up to 15%, I can't imagine Lotus' margin is industry leading at the £59,995 price they announced - with the price increases they'd likely be losing money on every car sold. I suspect Lotus will honor FE prices (to keep their most loyal happy) and announce price hikes for non-FE cars.

I have been wondering the same thing also. I have a deposit on the i4, but deep down I'm questioning if i should go with a base V6, since I wouldn't mind the manual transmission. I can live without many things i do not use like cruise control, 18way adjustable seats, even heated seats etc.

Only thing needed is possibly rear cam, blind spot (love this) and AC, Apple car play or android auto. the other driving aides such as lane keep etc, isn't that big of a deal to me.

Initially wanted yellow, but after i saw white, i will probably go that route if it's an option. Plan on wrapping the car anyways to protect it.

I've never seen a services or materials contract without yearly increases baked into the contract. If inflation is 7% minimum in the UK in retail expect the same or more in the car industry. After all Lotus inst obligated to sell anyone a car at a price they don't seem fair. How much have Porsche but their prices up 5% or more this year?

I've never seen a services or materials contract without yearly increases baked into the contract. If inflation is 7% minimum in the UK in retail expect the same or more in the car industry. After all Lotus inst obligated to sell anyone a car at a price they don't seem fair. How much have Porsche but their prices up 5% or more this year?
Chatted to the dealer today about the base car. His view was there was little to no chance of getting the base price as currently quoted.
To be honest the Emira at £75k is looking to be good value

Chatted to the dealer today about the base car. His view was there was little to no chance of getting the base price as currently quoted.
To be honest the Emira at £75k is looking to be good value
As sad as it sounds, I also see the prospect of getting the base as currently quoted at a close to 0 percent chance. Inflation + supply shortages around the globe have exacerbated the problem. Look at Rivian - they announced a 20% price hike yesterday. Tesla increased the price of the Model Y 20% over the course of 2021.

Will Lotus be willing to bake in a loss for every Emira sold after all the investments in the new plant and personnel (which also are subject to increased costs)? In the end, Lotus is a business too.

The original pricing was based on what Lotus was expecting the demand would be. Now that the demand is dramatically greater, that gives them a greater economy of scale for the quantities of everything they need to order to make the cars. That could offset the effects of inflation somewhat, at least for the first year or two. After that though, inflation is bound to cause some increases.

The original pricing was based on what Lotus was expecting the demand would be. Now that the demand is dramatically greater, that gives them a greater economy of scale for the quantities of everything they need to order to make the cars. That could offset the effects of inflation somewhat, at least for the first year or two. After that though, inflation is bound to cause some increases.

Schadenfreude it's not but the facts are pretty much what they are. The cost of everything has gone up and there is next to no discounting on materials. In some cases you can't even get the quantity needed. This is inflationary.

The cost of electricity to produce the cars has soared and that’s just one element of the car production, wage rises for staff etc etc.
A bacon bap at the Lotus canteen was £1.70 last year now it’s £2.10 and missing the extra rasher 😜

The cost of electricity to produce the cars has soared and that’s just one element of the car production, wage rises for staff etc etc.
A bacon bap at the Lotus canteen was £1.70 last year now it’s £2.10 and missing the extra rasher 😜
Good grief... that is just... brutal.