So I got to take a test drive.... :)

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Just came back from the test drive! I have a video (which my face is half blocking, sorry) that I'll upload later.
Early impressions -- phenomenal. Power is where I expected it to be, does not throw you back in the seat like other cars but the delivery is linear and solid. Handling, which I got only a taste of given the roads and structure is solid, no tire slip, no jitters, just glued to the road. Interior cabin noise is also pretty good -- I mean, it's a sports car so I don't have a huge amount of hope for that.

Driving position, visibility, stellar. Sports mode vs touring makes a huge difference in throttle response. Honestly I don't ever see myself driving it in touring. Gearing ratios are pretty close, so there's a lot of engagement for the driver.

This car was the sports suspension, and I found it perfectly suitable for me. Touring may be a bit quieter, not sure, but given for me it's a weekend and evening toy, I don't personally care. Interior quality was superb, I sat and felt all the materials, everything felt Germanic in quality -- a compliment! This car had the alcantara seats which I'm not sure I'd go for -- they are comfortable, but I think I'd prefer something easier to clean and maintain. Plus not sure how they hold up longer term.

Any complaints? Trunk is smaller than I thought -- might fit some stuff but not a big deal. Pedal placement is a little weird as I got into the car, but I got it sorted after a minute. Shifts are a little longer throw -- not a big deal, but something to note. Stereo sounded a little flat, the clarity was good but no bass -- that may just have been a setting I didn't bother to play with. I only had 20 minutes so wanted to spend the majority of that driving. Hope this helps, happy to answer any Qs.

1663779699930.png
1663779709585.png
1663779719255.png
1663779729104.png
1663779735200.png

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So, are stop signs more of a suggestion down there? 😆

But seriously, thanks for the video, and congrats on your test drive! :)

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Just came back from the test drive! I have a video (which my face is half blocking, sorry) that I'll upload later.
Early impressions -- phenomenal. Power is where I expected it to be, does not throw you back in the seat like other cars but the delivery is linear and solid. Handling, which I got only a taste of given the roads and structure is solid, no tire slip, no jitters, just glued to the road. Interior cabin noise is also pretty good -- I mean, it's a sports car so I don't have a huge amount of hope for that.

Driving position, visibility, stellar. Sports mode vs touring makes a huge difference in throttle response. Honestly I don't ever see myself driving it in touring. Gearing ratios are pretty close, so there's a lot of engagement for the driver.

This car was the sports suspension, and I found it perfectly suitable for me. Touring may be a bit quieter, not sure, but given for me it's a weekend and evening toy, I don't personally care. Interior quality was superb, I sat and felt all the materials, everything felt Germanic in quality -- a compliment! This car had the alcantara seats which I'm not sure I'd go for -- they are comfortable, but I think I'd prefer something easier to clean and maintain. Plus not sure how they hold up longer term.

Any complaints? Trunk is smaller than I thought -- might fit some stuff but not a big deal. Pedal placement is a little weird as I got into the car, but I got it sorted after a minute. Shifts are a little longer throw -- not a big deal, but something to note. Stereo sounded a little flat, the clarity was good but no bass -- that may just have been a setting I didn't bother to play with. I only had 20 minutes so wanted to spend the majority of that driving. Hope this helps, happy to answer any Qs.

View attachment 9029View attachment 9030View attachment 9031View attachment 9032View attachment 9033
Thanks! Photos, video and narrative.
This ups the anticipation. My turn is coming.
For those inclined, there is a thread called Driving Impressions.
Calling all fans and customers!

OP
S

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So, are stop signs more of a suggestion down there? 😆

But seriously, thanks for the video, and congrats on your test drive! :)
Running joke is that if the stop sign has a white border it's optional :p

In fairness the location is based around office parks so the visibility around was very good. Sorry for the bad angles :)

OP
S

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
how did you like the shifter feel?
Little longer throw -- I think it's just getting used to it, but not a big deal. I haven't had a manual in 10 years so I don't have a lot to compare it to other than a few cars I've driven as friends etc over the years. Porsche's shifts are closer and quicker, but the gearing ratios are taller so there's not a lot of movement from 2nd or 3rd.

I can imagine as I take up some speed on the car that I'd be rowing the gears more, and that's exactly what I want -- so I'll take a worse shifter feel than a Porsche for shorter gearing ratios.

netsinah

Reaction score
Very much appreciate you taking the time to video, post your video and provide commentary! Some questions if you don't mind:

What did you think of the Dark Verdant exterior color? You had a sunny day...did it "pop" in the sun?
How was getting in/out?
Was the driver seat comfortable (or restricting with the bolsters) and keep you in place?
Did you have adequate interior room (how tall are you)?
Did you hit any pot holes or bad bumps (none that I could see) and if so, was the ride still OK?
Did they slot you into a pre-arranged test drive time...and was it booked solid for test drives?

OP
S

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Very much appreciate you taking the time to video, post your video and provide commentary! Some questions if you don't mind:

What did you think of the Dark Verdant exterior color? You had a sunny day...did it "pop" in the sun?
How was getting in/out?
Was the driver seat comfortable (or restricting with the bolsters) and keep you in place?
Did you have adequate interior room (how tall are you)?
Did you hit any pot holes or bad bumps (none that I could see) and if so, was the ride still OK?
Did they slot you into a pre-arranged test drive time...and was it booked solid for test drives?
Good Qs!

I can't say much about the color, I didn't take a lot of notice of it but from a quick glance -- it's a muted color. It doesn't 'pop' in the sun, it seems to be pretty stable and honestly -- pretty much passes for a gray if you're glancing at it. I am getting Magma Red non issue for me :)

Getting in an out was no problem -- I am used to SUVs after the last 15 years with kids, but other than the initial awkwardness "Oh, the ground is here already?" it was fine. I wasn't contorting myself to get in or out, it was very comfortable. I will say, not as comfortable as my older BMW M3, but that's more of a sedan anyway.

I'm about 5'11", just a bit under 6 feet :)

Driver seat was comfortable; granted I don't know how much attention I paid to it as those things you really only learn in living with the car. The alcantara was very grippy in sitting, but I'm a guy who likes to shift around a little bit so I might like the flexibility of leather better -- plus being easier to clean/maintain. That, and there are more color choices :)

Interior room, no issue -- the person who drove before me had the seat WAY further back so there's plenty of room for even taller dudes than me. I had to bring it forward quite a bit.

The roads weren't exactly smooth, but no potholes. I could see it being pretty jarring on the potholes, but given I do want to track the car it makes more sense to have the sports suspension because in the area I'm in, it won't be bad at all. Our roads are well maintained nearby.

The drive times were booked solid, the sales person I drove with told me they would be there until much later getting people through as they only have the car for a few days. The time slot was pre-arranged and actually changed last minute; so I had to juggle around to make it work!

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Little longer throw -- I think it's just getting used to it, but not a big deal. I haven't had a manual in 10 years so I don't have a lot to compare it to other than a few cars I've driven as friends etc over the years. Porsche's shifts are closer and quicker, but the gearing ratios are taller so there's not a lot of movement from 2nd or 3rd.

I can imagine as I take up some speed on the car that I'd be rowing the gears more, and that's exactly what I want -- so I'll take a worse shifter feel than a Porsche for shorter gearing ratios.I own

I currently own a manual GT4 and it's brilliant, but the only complain I have is the long gearing (especially for a high revving NA engine which has no gut under 5000rpm), so that's great to hear!

michael2GRFE

Reaction score
I just returned home to Canada from Dallas yesterday. Funny, I kept having this niggling thought that I should stop by Lotus Dallas, hoping they would have an Emira so I could finally see it in person. Now I really wish I did!! Oh well, apparently Oakville is getting one this month. Thanks for posting.