• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Road tax

dave355

Reaction score
So as from April looks like the new first year road tax goes up to £2015 so affects all v6 purchases which is not a huge jump in itself but the total amount is huge thankfully just for the first year and guess all deposit holders have got over this.it does make me wonder what second year rate would make the car unpalatable. It is also a concern what future budgets will bring (sure nothing we want to hear)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm just thankful we haven't got an eye-watering Luxury Car Tax like some countries. The emissions-based taxes in places like France make the V6 virtually uneconomic. They aren't even selling the V6 in China.

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Road tax charges are all wrong in the UK. A lot of people have cars like this or Astons and Ferraris as second cars meaning they do hardly any miles and thus don't really do the same damage to the environment as some shitty old diesel doing 30k a year and paying 20 quid a month.

It's about time we put it onto fuel duty and scrap the tax system that way if your cars doesn't move you are not paying tax because funny enough it's not putting out any gases!

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Road tax charges are all wrong in the UK. A lot of people have cars like this or Astons and Ferraris as second cars meaning they do hardly any miles and thus don't really do the same damage to the environment as some shitty old diesel doing 30k a year and paying 20 quid a month.

It's about time we put it onto fuel duty and scrap the tax system that way if your cars doesn't move you are not paying tax because funny enough it's not putting out any gases!
I can see a mileage, not fuel based, system coming as they look to recoup all the lost taxes from the move to EVs.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
Bet electric will be taxed soon as the loss of revenue from ice cars starts to show .certainly more and more going over to electric ,seem common sight now .the fire risk poses an interesting problem though.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

My Emira will be SORN tucked nicely in My garage for winter months anyway, so will be considerably cheaper to tax per year. Also I’m waiting for the i4, it will be cheaper still - keeping my ££s from HMRC further! 😂

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I can see a mileage, not fuel based, system coming as they look to recoup all the lost taxes from the move to EVs.
Every car would require a tracker which will kick off the civil liberties, privacy etc. Another example of how little thought went into EV regulation and the tax shortfall.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Now now, logic and being sensible is not allowed in government and politics.

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My Emira will be SORN tucked nicely in My garage for winter months anyway, so will be considerably cheaper to tax per year. Also I’m waiting for the i4, it will be cheaper still - keeping my ££s from HMRC further! 😂
The months that are sorned are added to the 5 year high VED so you wont actually gain anything, I discovered this on my Evora 410 GT Sport!!

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not like a Scotsman looking after the pennies 😀

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
So guess if I sorn mine in the first year as probably won’t get till October and won’t use in salty roads I won’t get the full prorata refund of the £2015

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The months that are sorned are added to the 5 year high VED so you wont actually gain anything, I discovered this on my Evora 410 GT Sport!!
Please explain more? If I pay VED monthly, and SORN months are not charged surely….

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Please explain more? If I pay VED monthly, and SORN months are not charged surely….
You pay higher VED for vehicles over £40k, this is for a 5 year period and then it drops to the normal VED, however if the vehicle is sorned they add those months to the 5 years. I guess this ensures they get the higher VED for 5 years regardless of it not being taxed for periods!!! Robbers.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You pay higher VED for vehicles over £40k, this is for a 5 year period and then it drops to the normal VED, however if the vehicle is sorned they add those months to the 5 years. I guess this ensures they get the higher VED for 5 years regardless of it not being taxed for periods!!! Robbers.
Ah… but if I SORN it for 4-6months every winter , it will still work out 💪

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ah… but if I SORN it for 4-6months every winter , it will still work out 💪
If you SORN the car for 6 months every year then the raised VED would effectivley last for 10 years. If you keep the car then this probably is not an issue but it may put off people if you want to sell the vehicle.