registration charge upon purchase

Jjrho

Reaction score
is it true that Lotus Corp is making all dealers register and collect the sales tax on cars sold ? a florida dealer is saying that I have to pay for the calif sales tax , before they will release the car to me, even though I paid cash for the whole car.... i always register my new out of state bought cars myself, once i'm in possession of it...
is this some thing new or is the dealership pulling my leg ?

new emira buyer in Calif

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
When the dealer is registering the car for you as part of the sale, you would pay them the tax for the state in which the car will be registered even if it’s a different state. They pay that tax to your home state for registration. This has been true of any dealer purchased vehicle I’ve ever owned whether in my state or purchased out of state. This is not the case when purchasing from a private owner though…

However, I have never refused the dealer registering the car for me since it’s convenient for them to do so. Saves me the hassle 🤷🏽‍♂️

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've bought a used car from a dealer in FL (live in AL) before. They had me sign a form saying that I did not pay sales tax and would pay it in home state when registering.
When I got the Emira in TN they charged me the "state" tax rate where I lived. They send a check for that amount to the state along with the title paperwork. Dumb really.
Usually the way it works. Call your DMV and make sure of the process so you dont get charged sales tax twice.
I doubt a FL dealer can actually register the car for you in CA unless they have a special arrangement. Ive never experienced that before from any state. My dealer had me sign paperwork related to that but I still had go officially go to the DMV to register it and transfer the title over to my home state.

Last edited:

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've bought a used car from a dealer in FL (live in AL) before. They had me sign a form saying that I did not pay sales tax and would pay it in home state when registering.
When I got the Emira in TN they charged me the "state" tax rate where I lived. They send a check for that amount to the state along with the title paperwork. Dumb really.
Usually the way it works. Call your DMV and make sure of the process so you dont get charged sales tax twice.
I doubt a FL dealer can actually register the car for you in CA unless they have a special arrangement. Ive never experienced that before from any state. My dealer had me sign paperwork related to that but I still had go officially go to the DMV to register it and transfer the title over to my home state.

An Oklahoma dealer collected and payed the sales tax, then registered my vehicle for me in Utah… and I don’t think the process has changed (at least for Utah).

I purchased the car online, never saw it in person, they registered everything for me as part of the sale, then shipped the car to my door… I just waited for my Utah plates and did not have to visit the DMV at any point.

It was a very seamless process.

iVTECdailyy

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
is it true that Lotus Corp is making all dealers register and collect the sales tax on cars sold ? a florida dealer is saying that I have to pay for the calif sales tax , before they will release the car to me, even though I paid cash for the whole car.... i always register my new out of state bought cars myself, once i'm in possession of it...

new emira buyer in Calif
Yes, same thing happened to me. I told the dealer I will register and pay tax after possession, but the dealer informed me that lotus Corp is not allowing this.

They are all using third party companies to tax and title out of state purchases. Direct order from lotus.

cdn_alien

Reaction score
Boy, am I ever glad I found this thread. I'm going through it at this very moment. I'm buying the Emira from Florida and they're charging me sales tax, and said they would forward the taxes to AZ, without me having to go to ADOT DMV myself. I hope it's as seamless as some of you have said.

When I bought my Evora from California, they sold the car to me without any sales tax. I drove it back home with my AZ temporary plate, and had it registered and paid the taxes then. This process seems so much more comforting knowing that I won't double pay, and then pay exactly what is owed without some middleman.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My dealer (Park Place) told me I needed to send a copy of a utility bill to show my address to avoid having to pay Washington's 10.5% sales tax.

OP
J

Jjrho

Reaction score
wow.... yeah, naples lotus... supposedly he got a letter from lotus america saying that they have to regisgter the cars for buyer.... they are not too transparent.... they were trying to charge me $900 pre delivery inspection fee, as well as E regisgtration, etc....
not too happy with the process....

james
redlands , CA

Vampyre

Reaction score
when I have bought out of state, I get temp tags and then pay the tax when I register the car in state.

OP
J

Jjrho

Reaction score
well, what they are doing is using an outside service that registers the cars for the dealership but with all kinds of added charges that they pass on to me, and then highly likely, at the back end, they split the profits ...its a classic stuff the finance manager of the dealership does to make additional money.... good thing they didn't try to stick me with pFF and bullshit paint protection non-sense.... which I would of refused and tell em to take off anyway, as I never asked them for it; ...but other guys are getting stuck with these things so....

btw, a typical extended car warranty they offer at finance office of a dealership is marked up by 5x... so...if the warranty is $4000, divide by 5, ..that' what the dealership pays for it.... its a major scam.... offer 2x of their cost, NO MORE...if they dont' bite, just say, oh well, your loss and stay put....

my 2c worth of ranting for the day....

james
'24 emira; waiting on dealership bull shit...

RoryBellows

Reaction score

new emira buyer in Calif
When you get the car to CA they will make you VIN check it and smog it even with a CA emissions sticker since it was bought out of state. At the VIN check they are supposed to ensure you paid the correct amount of tax. Be careful though they aren't smart and have tried to get me to pay more in the past than I needed too.

mattemira

Reaction score
I can confirm the need to smog/go to dmv in CA if bought out of state. One other possible issue to note is it may NOT pass smog as a new car. I had a new C8 I bought new from MD in 2021 and getting it smogged was a major issue. Apparently(at least with the C8) a sensor is not turned on until some point after you get the car. has to do with needing miles, starts/stops, hard braking, etc, etc. The problem is I could never find anyone who actually knew what specifically it needed. A million or so forum members THOUGHT they knew, but nothing I did would make it pass. I finally had to go through a special smog "referee" who passed it despite the sensor not yet working. It was very frustrating. Hopefully, this won't be an issue for these cars.

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, same thing happened to me. I told the dealer I will register and pay tax after possession, but the dealer informed me that lotus Corp is not allowing this.

They are all using third party companies to tax and title out of state purchases. Direct order from lotus.
Not sure why Lotus would force this and can they force it? I've bought three vehicles while waiting on the Emira ... two of them shipped to me and I registered and paid sales tax locally. The other the dealer tried to force the registration and I was like ok this is easier for me but this 3rd party service was vastly off on the tax (thousands). Their software applied a certain tax to any zipcode that was around a special tax zone but my physical address was 2miles outside so I don't pay that. Fought them on it as I didn't want to pay and then wait for some refund in the future. In the end they relented but wasn't easy.