PPF/Ceramic coat experience on fibreglass

ARA

Reaction score
Hi. As someone who will be new to Lotus, can I ask those more familiar with the current cars, if there are any concerns or advise in relation to applying protection over the paint?

Googling some admittedly old lotus related posts I stumbled across some (rare overall) issues experienced with blistering paint, especially in frosty conditions. This may be a commonly understood and I'm hoping accepted none issue, but it would be good to get some advice. I usually apply ppf to my vehicles and don't bother with ceramic. My car us likely to be kept outdoors in all weathers. Perhaps the paint technology over fibreglass has moved on in the last few years since the things I read about. I'm just a lay person who doesn't know much about this.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see why it'd be an issue with quality ppf.. The Evora GT came PPF from the factory on half of the car! I'd expect the Emira to be the same, but we'll have to wait and see..

Reactions: ARA

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Blistering is very rare these days. Sometimes if the middle of a panel has been pushed hard enough to deform and spring back you might get a tiny spider crack in the paint and that let's in moisture. That's one reason why owners of plastic cars are nervous about people sitting on the bonnet for photos!

PPF and ceramic coating have been used for years on Lotus cars without issues.

OP
A

ARA

Reaction score
Blistering is very rare these days. Sometimes if the middle of a panel has been pushed hard enough to deform and spring back you might get a tiny spider crack in the paint and that let's in moisture. That's one reason why owners of plastic cars are nervous about people sitting on the bonnet for photos!

PPF and ceramic coating have been used for years on Lotus cars without issues.
Thank-you...reassuring advice

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A bit of a tangent from the intent of this thread, but I’m curious if anyone has an informed opinion on the “complexity” of the film PPF application on the Emira. We all love it’s gorgeous curves and transitions, but I wasn’t sure how challenging the PPF job will be (assuming full PPF for this scenario). My guess is this would directly influence the cost of the job, but I’ll confess to being a neophyte in the world of PPF. Has anyone asked your favorite PPF shop about this?

Andrew

Reaction score
I also did some research about this and asked a good local detailing shop when I ceramic-coated my rims about full-PPF coverage:

1. Basically you cannot go wrong with: XPEL / LLumar / 3M
(they can be applied on any kind of paint and also glass / plastic of headlights /etc)

2. But even more important than the PPF is the person applying it.
So best would be to 'test' them first with something basic, like apply PPF on the headlights of you other car, or door handles, and if you see that the person does a good job, go with the EMIRA afterwards :)

3. It's really expensive if you want to do the whole car... over 3-4.000 Eur if a good PPF is used.
So if you only use the car for fun during weekends and keep it in a garage the rest of the time, there's really no practical need for that;
only apply to bumper/hood/back fenders (the areas most prone to stone chips from road).

Last edited: