Port of Baltimore Closed as bridge collapses

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
First thing I saw upon opening up my news site this morning; what an insane tragedy. :( Feel so bad for all the people affected by this. And I think everybody on this forum has respect for the full gravity of this situation.

I also feel for Baltimoreans — what a nightmare this will be for their economy, livelihoods, even daily traffic, for the next I don't know how many months & years. What a shitty situation. :(

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Absolutely horrible! What a nightmare.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It was hit by the Dali container ship.

JClem

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
GJmvXiCWkAAgDcE

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Port of Savanah most likely
I wonder if they can discharge in NY. That's also a large RoRo port. Not as large as Baltimore, but larger than Savannah or Norfolk. Both NY and Norfolk are already on Atlantic Sea's schedule to call.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder if they can discharge in NY. That's also a large RoRo port. Not as large as Baltimore, but larger than Savannah or Norfolk. Both NY and Norfolk are already on Atlantic Sea's schedule to call.
Definitely, as you said, NY and Norfolk are both RoRo ports and already on the current schedule. We don't know how difficult it would be for Lotus to shift their post-offload port process elsewhere, though. I would guess that Norfolk might be logistically easier in this sort of pivot situation than the (already extremely busy) port of NYC, but there are a million factors involved so it's anyone's guess.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Definitely, as you said, NY and Norfolk are both RoRo ports and already on the current schedule. We don't know how difficult it would be for Lotus to shift their post-offload port process elsewhere, though. I would guess that Norfolk might be logistically easier in this sort of pivot situation than the (already extremely busy) port of NYC, but there are a million factors involved so it's anyone's guess.
Lotus pivot 🤣. They don’t know the meaning of that word…not to be too pessimistic but this is another excuse for them to not ship out any more cars to North America for another 6 months 😔.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Probably misleading or inaccurate since CARB states currently have cars on the water towards Baltimore... well, who knows where they're going now, but you get the point.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is terrible news, prayers for all the victims. Looks to be an unfortunate accident.

I imagine it will take some time (more than other auto manufacturers) for Lotus to pivot. Delays again....

GrahamClark_60-68

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I read somewhere in the news stories that VW's dock, or whatever it's called, is on the eastern side of the bridge. So not affected by the port closure other than ground transportation. Wonder if anyone knows the actually location of where Lotus unloads, east or west of the bridge.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I read somewhere in the news stories that VW's dock, or whatever it's called, is on the eastern side of the bridge. So not affected by the port closure other than ground transportation. Wonder if anyone knows the actually location of where Lotus unloads, east or west of the bridge.
See the map on post 18 of this thread

Finbarqs

Reaction score
Lotus pivot 🤣. They don’t know the meaning of that word…not to be too pessimistic but this is another excuse for them to not ship out any more cars to North America for another 6 months or 36 months… same same

Still gonna send it...

Reaction score
I saw that as well, but one of the previous posts indicated that the offload point is west of the bridge, so ships will likely have to be diverted.

In addition to auto terminals in NYC and Norfolk, there is another terminal in Quonset Point in Narragansett Bay RI that may be able to pick up some slack. I'm not sure how much extra volume it could handle though.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
This is truly a terrible incident with shocking footage of it all. I've driven over this bridge many times and have many co-workers in the Baltimore area. Thankfully everyone I know is safe and sound. In my comic book and video game mind, I always envision the Avengers and Spider-man swinging into action when something like this happens, but Spidey wasn't there to keep the bridge together or suspend falling cars safely in the air.

Shout out to our forum members for keeping the conversation appropriately focused. 🫡

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I saw that as well, but one of the previous posts indicated that the offload point is west of the bridge, so ships will likely have to be diverted.
Sparrows Point (where the big VW yard is) is southeast of the bridge and was formerly a huge shipyard and steel plant that's been converted to a multimodal terminal facility with many tenants. Both VW and BMW have facilities there, and there is some Stellantis volume as well. It's collectively operated by a big outfit called Tradepoint Atlantic. Here's a map:

1711486703962.png

Last edited: