Orders to date?

Mark.

Reaction score
Any idea how many deposits have been placed to date? Uk? Rest of the world...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Based on them saying a couple of months ago that a new order would mean delivery 65 weeks later, they had orders for roughly 65 x 140 = 9,100 (7,000 cars per year = 140 cars per week for a 50 week production year). In practice they won't hit 7,000 until next year even if parts supply gets sorted, but if it was 100 cars a week it's still 6,500.

OP
M

Mark.

Reaction score
Based on them saying a couple of months ago that a new order would mean delivery 65 weeks later, they had orders for roughly 65 x 140 = 9,100 (7,000 cars per year = 140 cars per week for a 50 week production year). In practice they won't hit 7,000 until next year even if parts supply gets sorted, but if it was 100 cars a week it's still 6,500.
Aren't you basing your numbers on full 3 shifts? I doubt they'll be running that level any time soon... Aren't they trying to get the single shift up to speed?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Single shift is 4,800. Second (partial) shift gets it to 7,000 and is what they are staffing for now. This has a bottleneck on chassis production preventing it going higher without further changes to facilities and processes.

In theory 3 full shifts gets them to about 15.000.

OP
M

Mark.

Reaction score
Single shift is 4,800. Second (partial) shift gets it to 7,000 and is what they are staffing for now. This has a bottleneck on chassis production preventing it going higher without further changes to facilities and processes.

Wow higher numbers than i remember.

So how many to the uk?

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I was told buy the plan tour guide it can never be 3 shifts. Lotus assembly workers work 4 days per week, 10 hours per shift (technically less than that since a UK work week is 37 hours). Friday is a catch up / clean up day. I don’t know what the lag time between shifts is, the tour guide did not dive into that detail. That assumes full production line capability of 5000 cars per shift per year so I don’t know how they plan on throttling the line if they can’t sort the 7500 max chassis bottleneck. I imagine they will adjust to 3750 cars per shift to balance it out and spread out the workforce. Putting on a partial shift means part time labor so I doubt that’s an option. Tom’s observations seem to support either of those models but I suspect it’s more slowing the line than adding a partial shift. Either way it’s fewer employees than a fully loaded, 2 shift day.

And just for grins I ran some numbers. Assume 2 full shifts a day, each shift producing 37 hours a week. The car moves between stations every 17 minutes so assume one car moves off the line every 17 minutes. The 17 minutes was also communicated by the tour guide.

37 hours x 2 shifts x 60 minutes per hour x 50 weeks = 222,000 minutes
222,000 minutes / 17 minutes between cars = 13,058 cars per year max.

Last edited:

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
the last bit of info i was told was that they produced 50 cars in July 100 in August and the plan was to keep doubling month on month until full production (didn't say what that was).

So 200 in September 400 in October which sort of pans out with hopefully all us early depositors and demo cars sorted by end of Nov 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
technically less than that since a UK work week is 37 hours.
While some people in the UK may work 37 hours a week this is not an upper (or lower) limit, or even the norm.
If they are doing 4 days of 10 hour shifts then they will be doing 40 hours a week.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
So moving slightly away from shifts, i.e. shifting away from shifts, I am still puzzled by whats going on at the moment.
I get they are missing bits for RHD cars.... fine....although its not actually fine at all. So, it seems they are not missing bits for LHD cars as they are making and clearly delivering them, thats great, right?
However, for the last several weeks, if not months!.... there have been cars going down the production line and we can only assume in the last 2 weeks alone with one shift only and 100% LHD, there should be at least a hundred LHD cars right?
And yet, the cars are absolutely trickling into dealers... at less than 10 a week or thereabouts. Are they now also slowly ramping up the delivery company... is the company capable of delivering 100 cars a week across the EU?
I can only draw *invent one of literally hundreds of conclusions...

They actually don't have an excess or even sufficient parts for LHD cars to produce at anywhere near half capacity.
These cars going down the line have GONE DOWN THE LINE 20 TIMES EACH just for show on factory tours etc as where the hell are these 100 cars they should have made by now, LHD and unfinished RHD. They have been making cars for months now if we go back to the videos!
They are having trouble with some export / import paperwork for EU cars and are solving these things bit by bit.
Or things are not quite as they should be on the production line.
Feel free to add to my contrived and conspired list, but it's a bit strange. While it's nice to see cars going out and actually into people's hands, when they have the time to collect them ;), it's been a week and we are now in mid September. I will be happier when we see 50/week in the EU, perhaps by the end of the month and if we dont, then get ready for a LONG COLD WINTER, and all this after a LONG HOT SUMMER.

Im full of cheer.. must be nearly Xmas... :)
*Dont take my comments too seriously Lotus.. its pure boredom, I do really want my car(s) asap and I will give them full and deserved praise and make youtube videos to boot. I will be bigger and put in more time and not charge a fortune for it, like Jason sorry, Jenson Buttons

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So moving slightly away from shifts, i.e. shifting away from shifts, I am still puzzled by whats going on at the moment.
I get they are missing bits for RHD cars.... fine....although its not actually fine at all. So, it seems they are not missing bits for LHD cars as they are making and clearly delivering them, thats great, right?
However, for the last several weeks, if not months!.... there have been cars going down the production line and we can only assume in the last 2 weeks alone with one shift only and 100% LHD, there should be at least a hundred LHD cars right?
And yet, the cars are absolutely trickling into dealers... at less than 10 a week or thereabouts. Are they now also slowly ramping up the delivery company... is the company capable of delivering 100 cars a week across the EU?
I can only draw *invent one of literally hundreds of conclusions...

They actually don't have an excess or even sufficient parts for LHD cars to produce at anywhere near half capacity.
These cars going down the line have GONE DOWN THE LINE 20 TIMES EACH just for show on factory tours etc as where the hell are these 100 cars they should have made by now, LHD and unfinished RHD. They have been making cars for months now if we go back to the videos!
They are having trouble with some export / import paperwork for EU cars and are solving these things bit by bit.
Or things are not quite as they should be on the production line.
Feel free to add to my contrived and conspired list, but it's a bit strange. While it's nice to see cars going out and actually into people's hands, when they have the time to collect them ;), it's been a week and we are now in mid September. I will be happier when we see 50/week in the EU, perhaps by the end of the month and if we dont, then get ready for a LONG COLD WINTER, and all this after a LONG HOT SUMMER.

Im full of cheer.. must be nearly Xmas... :)
*Dont take my comments too seriously Lotus.. its pure boredom, I do really want my car(s) asap and I will give them full and deserved praise and make youtube videos to boot. I will be bigger and put in more time and not charge a fortune for it, like Jason sorry, Jenson Buttons
As usual without any actual information from Lotus, who knows? It's got very protracted with only speculation filling the vacuum. I simply do not understand Lotus communication strategy.

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I thought Matt Windle said in an interview that they could build 4800 per year.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Anyone know how many Lotus dealers there are world wide? Just trying to figure out how many cars are needed / production weeks to fulfill for a Demo at every Lotus dealer worldwide?