New brake discs by JUBU

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It doesn’t need a mod, you just started a thread about it :)

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Looks like a pretty minor upgrade imho.

They’re using 4mm and 3mm spacers to space the caliper out to fit an increase in diameter — and the rear has a little bit more width. They’re also using domed washers for mounting hardware instead of flat washers so they’re not fully floating two piece rotors.

I would consider these but they are considerably more expensive than similar sized 2 piece rotors from other suppliers. Honestly I’m realizing Jubu seems to just upcharge a ton based on their “extensive research”. Additionally their English version of the description just screams marketing fluff to me — maybe that’s just poor translation.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The weight "advantage" seems to be vs the standard solid rotor on the non-FE. The claimed figures are not vs the two piece rotors that come on the currently shipping V6 FE cars.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm finding the standard brakes to be fantastic in terms of stopping power, perhaps just a little grabby at low speed. I think you would have to be doing some very serious track work to need an upgrade.

@Porter since you posted some very useful geeky details about the brakes in this thread https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/emira-brake-specs-confirmed-ap-racing-370mm-350mm.426/ you might be interested to know that the Emira pads are indeed the same spec as the Evora 410: AP Racing CP7040X61BX-DS25HP at the front and CP6600X55BX-DS25HP at the rear. Should mean there are already several aftermarket alternatives like Pagid RS14 available for the track junkies.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm finding the standard brakes to be fantastic in terms of stopping power, perhaps just a little grabby at low speed. I think you would have to be doing some very serious track work to need an upgrade.

Yeah I'm thinking even for track work some heat management and track pads is all that is needed.

Andrew

Reaction score
If anyone's thinking to upgrade the brakes, they should go directly to CARBON CERAMICS.
Or, hope that Lotus will offer this option somewhere in the future.

Most of EMIRA competition already offers that: Porsches, Corvettes, BMW M2, Mercedes SL etc.
So even if it's expensive, Lotus should offer it.
And blind-spot monitoring too! : )

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If anyone's thinking to upgrade the brakes, they should go directly to CARBON CERAMICS.
Or, hope that Lotus will offer this option somewhere in the future.

Most of EMIRA competition already offers that: Porsches, Corvettes, BMW M2, Mercedes SL etc.
So even if it's expensive, Lotus should offer it.
And blind-spot monitoring too! : )
People who actually use their brakes (at the track) switch out to steel. Carbon ceramics are typically chosen for street cars for aesthetic reasons. Lots of tiny improvements, but not really worth the ~$10k cost of entry. Slightly better braking on the street, don't rust, less dust, weight tiny bit less, look prettier (must be larger due to poor thermal conductivity, which fits the oversized exotic wheels better ;)), etc. It's just bragging rights, really. Stick with steel.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
People who actually use their brakes (at the track) switch out to steel. Carbon ceramics are typically chosen for street cars for aesthetic reasons. Lots of tiny improvements, but not really worth the ~$10k cost of entry. Slightly better braking on the street, don't rust, less dust, weight tiny bit less, look prettier (must be larger due to poor thermal conductivity, which fits the oversized exotic wheels better ;)), etc. It's just bragging rights, really. Stick with steel.
Precisely. I’m not going to increase the cost of each track day by an amortized $500/day to run a worse selection of carbon ceramic brake pads.

Separate set of iron rotors and track pads swapped in the night before your track day.

Andrew

Reaction score
Yes, for track it makes sense because it's cheaper.
But I was not talking about track use, but normal street use.
If this is a weekend car (which I'm sure for 90% of us it will be), you have all the benefits of ceramics without replacing them for a considerable amount of years.

Logoman

Reaction score
I was not impressed by the brakes in the wet yesterday, perhaps just because it was so different from their 'grabby' feeling in the dry.
I was expecting shorter braking distance and more information from the brake pedal.

gtihk

Reaction score
I think their disc upgrades look to be well thought out, but perhaps a little pricey for what they are.

JP__FOX

Reaction score
Has anyone come across any other disc options? Or perhaps just an AP part number so I can see what else may fit from other models?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So this means OEM pads are Ferodo DS2500? :sneaky:

Very good pads for spirited street use!
Yes I believe that's correct. Someone will need to pop one out to see the code on the back to verify though.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought the Lotus brakes were supposed to be pretty stellar out of the box. not sure why they need to be upgraded. I guess some people just want to upgrade!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I thought the Lotus brakes were supposed to be pretty stellar out of the box. not sure why they need to be upgraded. I guess some people just want to upgrade!
They’re fine for street use and very light track work.