My DV Emira and modifications

EM12A LS

Reaction score
I was due to pick it up on the Friday, but ended up picking up on Sunday, thanks to Scott .
I'm 3500 miles in now and after initial issues its been fantastic

OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had my tailgate glass tinted, and the centre of the roof done in black PPF, as I wanted the centreline to be a sweeping black look. Also changing the piano black vents and tailgate trims to body colour, so the A pillar sweeps right through to the duck tail as a continuous colour.

However, the tinting of the tailgate glass was a mess. I ordered it without privacy glass, as I didn't want the side rear 3/4 windows dark, and figured just tinting the tailgate would be ok, but alas, it was a failure. So I bought a new rear glass (obviously privacy spec) and changed it. Happy with the results.

The tailgate glass heater element was really highlighted by the tint film, looked awful.

Se pics, with tint added, and the factory tinted glass.

Attachments

• IMG_3243.PNG
    IMG_3243.PNG
    420.6 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_3244.PNG
    IMG_3244.PNG
    314.3 KB · Views: 254

Whitey

Reaction score
New rear glass looks so much better than the tinted one, I don’t blame you for changing that at all! My first Emira had no privacy glass and my current new replacement car has it, and I prefer it with the privacy glass, having now had both.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I'd share a few pics of my DV Emira which has a few small aesthetic mods, for anyone that's interested.

Full PPF from GVE in Uxbridge (discounted 10% thanks to Ade's video), roof centre area is black PPF.
Rear tailgate glass dark tint (so the whole centreline of car is black), however, not happy with the tint results, so going to order a rear tailgate glass in privacy spec (£372+vat), as they look exactly how I want it to. Didn't initially order privacy option, as I don't like the small rear quarter-glass in dark tint, think it looks out of place.
GVE also did the wheel colour change while they had it up on their ramp being PPF'd.

Rear engine vents and trims either side of tailgate soon to be DV rather than piano black, so the green pillar line continues right through from A pillar to duck tail (I bought a set of the vents & trims from B&C which are off being painted DV as I speak)

For context, I shamelessly stole the pinstripe design idea from the Evija JPS themed car, as I figured it would work ok with the very dark look of DV (see Evija pics)
Lovely work Jon! I'd be interested to see how the black centre-line looks in well-lit photos - hard to tell with DV...nice idea and I get where you are coming from.
No shame in appropriating the Evija design for the pinstripes - it's beautiful!

The variation in pinstripe width is an important part of this design and you seem to have carried that over successfully. As for the gold wheels, I have always been tempted to do that - even more tempted now! Did you manage to get the paint/powdercoat colour matched to the vinyl of the stripes or did you find a standard shade of gold that was a good match?

OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lovely work Jon! I'd be interested to see how the black centre-line looks in well-lit photos - hard to tell with DV...nice idea and I get where you are coming from.
No shame in appropriating the Evija design for the pinstripes - it's beautiful!

The variation in pinstripe width is an important part of this design and you seem to have carried that over successfully. As for the gold wheels, I have always been tempted to do that - even more tempted now! Did you manage to get the paint/powdercoat colour matched to the vinyl of the stripes or did you find a standard shade of gold that was a good match?
Hiya.
I think in bright sunlight, the black centreline thing will work really well from an elevated view. especially once the vents & trims are in DV (first go at this didn't work, as DV base coat colour match was terrible). I've had another mix done, so hope that's going to work.

I'll do some aerial drone footage when the sun shines.

I chose the gold vinyl for the badges, stripes, lettering etc, and gave a decent sized piece of this vinyl to the chaps at GVE who were doing the PPF and wheel colour change to match them to.
When I hold the sample to the finished, painted wheel, it's very close, but have to say, the thin (6mm) stripes, look a slightly lighter shade than the wheels on the car.
It seems to be a product of being a thin line against a dark background, as the stripes came from the same roll of material as the sample I gave them.
Anyways, It doesn't look enough different to bother me, it's just surprising how the shade appears different, purely through being a thin line as apposed to a larger area.

It was important to me that the tapered ends of the gold stripes were not just straight line tapers, rather, they are curved tapers (like Roman pillars, but only on one side), with a 0.75mm radius at the tips. Also, the length of the tapers are different on doors, rear panel, and at each end of the bonnet stripes, so to ensure it came out exactly as I wanted, I drew them up in CAD, and my local sign guy cut them on his vinyl plotter/cutter.

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hiya.
I think in bright sunlight, the black centreline thing will really work really from an aerial shot. especially once the vents & trims are in DV (first go at this didn't work, as DV base coat colour match was terrible). I've had another mix done, so hope that's going to work.

I chose the gold vinyl for the badges, stripes, lettering etc, and gave a decent sized piece of this vinyl to the chaps at GVE who were doing the PPF and wheel colour change to match them to.
When I hold the sample to the finished, painted wheel, it's very close, but have to say, the thin (6mm) stripes, look a slightly lighter shade than the wheels on the car.
It seems to be a product of being a thin line against a dark background, as the stripes came from the same roll of material as the sample I gave them.
Anyways, It doesn't look enough different to bother me, it's just surprising how the shade appears different, purely through being a slight line as apposed to a larger area.

It was important to me that the tapered ends of the gold stripes were not just straight line tapers, rather, they are curved tapers, with a 0.75mm radius at the tips. Also, the length of the tapers are different on doors, rear panel, and at each end of the bonnet stripes, so to ensure it came out exactly as I wanted, I drew them up in CAD, and my local sign guy cut them on his vinyl plotter/cutter.
Thanks for the insights into your process and thinking. I used to work in self-adhesive vinyl in my signwriting days, the radiused end is a smart move as a sharp point will be easily snagged by cleaning cloths.

The colour shift thing is real - when working on my paintings the background colour can completely change how you perceive a colour. To me the gold on the wheels looks a little more intense with a slight shift towards a yellow gold rather than white gold hue, but this is so minor it will be imperceptible most of the time.

Looking forward to those drone shots!

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I had my tailgate glass tinted, and the centre of the roof done in black PPF, as I wanted the centreline to be a sweeping black look. Also changing the piano black vents and tailgate trims to body colour, so the A pillar sweeps right through to the duck tail as a continuous colour.

However, the tinting of the tailgate glass was a mess. I ordered it without privacy glass, as I didn't want the side rear 3/4 windows dark, and figured just tinting the tailgate would be ok, but alas, it was a failure. So I bought a new rear glass (obviously privacy spec) and changed it. Happy with the results.

The tailgate glass heater element was really highlighted by the tint film, looked awful.

I have the same glass combination but at zero cost! I specced non-privacy (same issue as you not liking the side view) but they built it with privacy!

Then once delivered they agreed to change the side glass back to non-privacy but keep the rear screen privacy…. Perfect combination IMHO.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have the same glass combination but at zero cost! I specced non-privacy (same issue as you not liking the side view) but they built it with privacy!

Then once delivered they agreed to change the side glass back to non-privacy but keep the rear screen privacy…. Perfect combination IMHO.
How do I sign up for that!? 😁

OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Managed to secure an appropriate reg for the Emira today..

Goes with my livery.

Attachments

• IMG_3848.PNG
    IMG_3848.PNG
    562.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3481.PNG
    IMG_3481.PNG
    397.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

driv300mph

Reaction score

I also ordered mine without privacy glass, but I think it's my only regret... how much did it cost to have the privacy glass swapped in?

OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also ordered mine without privacy glass, but I think it's my only regret... how much did it cost to have the privacy glass swapped in?
The glass was £372 GBP (about $470 USD), but I fiited it myself, so obviously avoided the fitment labour cost. Dunno how much an autoglass firm would charge for fitment.

Last edited:
OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just getting some trim changes done. Some custom fitted seat covers (protectors), in black alcantara and yellow stitch (as per the oem trim), they're only at the templating stage at the moment,
Fitted & bound edged mats, also yellow stitched.
Replacement gear stick gaiter in Alcantara / yellow stitch (standard item is nasty cheap vinyl with black stitch).
and the oem Alcantara steering wheel, re-stitched in yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_8050.JPEG
    IMG_8050.JPEG
    202.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_8051.JPEG
    IMG_8051.JPEG
    196.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8054.JPEG
    IMG_8054.JPEG
    179.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Templating of seat....
Actual cover will be vinyl edges, Alcantara and yellow stitch.

Attachments

• IMG_4176.JPG
    IMG_4176.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 90
OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
finished....

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 110
OP
JonFuller

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hiya.
I think in bright sunlight, the black centreline thing will work really well from an elevated view. especially once the vents & trims are in DV (first go at this didn't work, as DV base coat colour match was terrible). I've had another mix done, so hope that's going to work.

Finally got the rear vents and trims painted in a DV that actually matches the bodywork. No drone stuff yet, but here's a shot showing the pillar, in DV from hood through to duck tail....
And a couple of the new Chinese wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4373.jpg
    IMG_4373.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4362.PNG
    IMG_4362.PNG
    726.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4365.jpg
    IMG_4365.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The front rear and side vents are all DV now, as well as the rear window vents? I couldn't make it out in the video.

The pin stripes around the curves are 🔥. They really highlight the shape that gets lost in the dark color.

Hey, how much work went into those wheel center caps? Would you make some on commission?