Mushy transmission?

elromulous

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts here about the manual transmission in the emira feeling sloppy. I did a few searches, and had a hard time really getting to the bottom of this. So my question is, what does the community know about the feel of the manual? Has anyone here driven an emira yet?

Having driven an evora 400, I can say it was one of the most enjoyable stick and clutch my hands and feet have touched. Those should be the same in the emira (at least the transmission, I'm not sure about the clutch), but Lotus could have messed up the feel by changing the linkage. Do we have any more info?

It's the same trans as the Evora GT, which I've driven and enjoyed. It feels solid and throws are short and solid IMO.

We'll know more soon. Some reviews of the proto mentioned there was some difficulty and delay getting into certain gears (2nd to 3rd I think), but Lotus was still tweaking the linkage..

I'm sure it'll be fine. End of the day its a 6 speed out of a Toyota truck. The clutch and flywheel are sourced from AP and hold up well.

I just spoke to the dealership where my preorder is in, they're saying they'll have a preproduction model in a couple months for folks who've pre-ordered. So only a few more months of uncertainty. I'm also worried about the seats situation. I'm short (5'7"), so I'm less worried about the height of the seat, but I am concerned about the weak looking side bolstering.

I'm sure it'll be fine. End of the day its a 6 speed out of a Toyota truck. The clutch and flywheel are sourced from AP and hold up well.
Ring & pinion should be a straightforward affair if ever going to the trouble to pull the gearbox, say for a clutch or any other drivetrain-out work. This thing (and the Evora before it) could be bananas with a shorter final drive.

Komo-Tec makes a shorter final drive kit. It's more expensive than it seems like it needs to be, though. Something similar could possibly be achieved with a ring/pinion kit for a different Toyota model that uses this same gearbox. I don't know, I suppose that's what this could literally be anyway, though it seems like a lot of cash if that's the case. They're well respected so I assume these folks know what they are doing, in any case.

Translation and conversion of the Komo-Tec gearing charts from that page:

Standard Gear Ratios
GearEff. RatioSpeed in km/h at 7200rpmSpeed in mph at 7200rpm

Gear Ratios, Komo-Tec "close ratio" kit
GearEff. RatioSpeed in km/h at 7200rpmSpeed in mph at 7200rpm

Leaving some room for mechanical sympathy, the 2-3 shift on the shorter final drive would be around 62-65mph.

Last edited:
Ring & pinion should be a straightforward affair if ever going to the trouble to pull the gearbox, say for a clutch or any other drivetrain-out work. This thing (and the Evora before it) could be bananas with a shorter final drive.

Komo-Tec makes a shorter final drive kit. It's more expensive than it seems like it needs to be, though. Something similar could possibly be achieved with a ring/pinion kit for a different Toyota model that uses this same gearbox. I don't know, I suppose that's what this could literally be anyway, though it seems like a lot of cash if that's the case. They're well respected so I assume these folks know what they are doing, in any case.

Translation and conversion of the Komo-Tec gearing charts from that page:

Standard Gear Ratios
GearSpeed in km/h at 7200rpmSpeed in mph at 7200rpm

Gear Ratios, Komo-Tec "close ratio" kit
GearSpeed in km/h at 7200rpmSpeed in mph at 7200rpm

Leaving some room for mechanical sympathy, the 2-3 shift on the shorter final drive would be around 62-65mph.

$3200 isn't too bad considering the Sharkwerks GT4 regear kit is like $9k.

Something similar could possibly be achieved with a ring/pinion kit for a different Toyota model that uses this same gearbox. I don't know, I suppose that's what this could literally be anyway, though it seems like a lot of cash if that's the case.
I don't think that's what they did. The gear ratio changes are not consistent with this.

Does Komo-tec have representation in the US?
Greg's Race Parts in Reno, NV is a listed reseller but they are not listed as a Komo-Tec authorized install or service center. Pretty sure they are parts only.

GRP sells a final drive for like half the price. The Porsche is more expensive because it's a super high end DCT therefore much more complicated and built to a much higher spec as its a a Porsche. The Evora/Emira is the same thing you find in a regular Toyota, less complicated and lower quality

Omg if Lotus would offer a close ratio gear set as an option I would take that in a heartbeat. I don't need to (nor would I ever) go 180 mph in my Emira. I'd be more than willing to give up 20 mph top end for a close ratio street set.
100%!!! With an overdrive 6th for relaxed cruising when touring...

@Eagle7 Ive been saying this for months. Theres a lot they could and should have done. If they corrected final drive and simply changed the drive pulley they could have made this car accelerate as fast a GT3. Not even $1000 in parts. The supercharger is rated to spin safely at 20k rpms (c7 z06 spins at 19k). Lotus spins it at basically half that. Over drive pulley + final drive upgrade = what Lotus Emira should have been

They're not stupid, they know all the tricks, but I imagine the issue for them is meeting the emissions and mileage regulations. Maybe these sort of mods will become available in their custom speed shop.

$3200 isn't too bad considering the Sharkwerks GT4 regear kit is like $9k.
Right but that's a whole gearset, isn't it? This Komo-Tec kit is just a new ring & pinion set. Though it's labor intensive, it looks like it replaces both shafts. The existing gears would need to be remounted, lash adjusted, etc.

Right but that's a whole gearset, isn't it? This Komo-Tec kit is just a new ring & pinion set. Though it's labor intensive, it looks like it replaces both shafts. The existing gears would need to be remounted, lash adjusted, etc.

From Shark Werks:
PRICING INFO- $4150 (for 3,4,5 option) or $7495 for (mainshaft, 2 ,3, 4, 5) in parts & approximately $4500-5000 for transmission re-build.

So figure $12-15k and have to ship the car both ways (unless you already live in the San Fran area). Seems like a lot for a car that already costs $100k... with the GT4, the more optimized PDK is the smarter option.

Omg if Lotus would offer a close ratio gear set as an option I would take that in a heartbeat. I don't need to (nor would I ever) go 180 mph in my Emira. I'd be more than willing to give up 20 mph top end for a close ratio street set.
I'm going to drive it for a while before I make a determination on it... I figure Gavan Kershaw would have had a huge amount of input on the drivability component and if anyone has his heart in the right place on the topic, it's that guy.

For me the target use case is twisty mountain roads in Appalachia, much tighter than you would see on a circuit, so a shorter final drive would likely be well-suited. To put it in European context, the roads are similar to tarmac rally stages in places like Monaco or Corsica. But I'll reserve judgement until after I explore the limits with the gearing as-supplied.

Example:
1648218240834.png