Much rather own a Lotus Exige Cup 430 than an Emira, in Canada.

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If I had the choice here in Canada of owning any Lotus it would be the Exige Cup 430.
Unfortunately government regulations would not allow the sale of that vehicle in Canada.
As a previous Ariel Atom owner, the Exige Cup 430 is really the only car that truly comes close to the Atoms raw, sensory stimulating driving experience, with the bonus of being dare I say more practical and livable.
For that reason I would easily take the Exige 430 over the gorgeous Emira, because here in Canada there are other cars like the Porsche GT3 and GT4 that are in the same category as the Emira.
Nothing on sale in Canada comes close to the raw excitement the Exige provides.
The only way I could get an Exige is if I waited 25 years because they allow us for some reason to import very old cars, makes no sense at all.
If anyone knows a way I could import a late-model Exige Cup 430 into Canada and street legal, please let me know.
You gents in Britain are lucky you can buy cars like the Exige, Noble etc.
I think the Exige Cup 430 would be a great investment, in my opion will likely go way up in value.
Cheers.

Last edited:

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
but you don't have the choice... What's the point of this thread?

Every province have their own plating rules, so you won't find some kind of trick that works across Canada...

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If I had the choice here in Canada of owning any Lotus it would be the Exige Cup 430.
Unfortunately government regulations would not allow the sale of that vehicle in Canada.
As a previous Ariel Atom owner, the Exige Cup 430 is really the only car that truly comes close to the Atoms raw, sensory stimulating driving experience, with the bonus of being dare I say more practical and livable.
For that reason I would easily take the Exige 430 over the gorgeous Emira, because here in Canada there are other cars like the Porsche GT3 and GT4 that are in the same category as the Emira.
The only way I could get an Exige is if I waited 25 years because they allow us for some reason to import very old cars, makes no sense at all.
If anyone knows a way I could import a late-model Exige Cup 430 into Canada and street legal, please let me know.
I think the Exige Cup 430 would be a great investment, in my opion will likely go way up in value.
Cheers.
I believe one could import cars that are 15 years or older into Canada, whereas the same car would have to be 25 years or older before it can be imported into the US.

So, given that the Exige Cup 430 was launched in 2017, you only have to wait 10 more years...
It certainly is a beast!

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This comparison gets muddied by the sizable price delta (Exige Cup 430 costs about 50% more than Emira). Price being no object, I'd pick a 458 Speciale or F40 or McLaren F1 over a Cup 430. Or even a Radford 62-2. But if I only had $150k to spend, I'd pick the Cup 430 over Emira. If I had $100k to spend, the Cup 430 isn't worth the price bump over the Emira. If I had $30k to spend, I'd get an 86 and not see the Emira worth it when the 86 is dynamically 80% of the Emira (basing this on when Chris Harris compared the 86 vs Cayman) for 1/3 the cost , etc.

This argument basically boils down to "I'd rather have the much more expensive car because it has features justifying its added expense." AKA I'd rather have any car that gets you what you pay for.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
horses for courses..... the exige is no more a competitor for the Emira than an MX5, they all do very different things and are all great cars in their own way. Just because both are lotus's, doesnt mean they are that related, although same engine and gear box. I understand what you are saying and I could agree, as you really want a track car, not a daily, although surely Caterham sell cars there? That in a way has a roof at least.... kind of, and although maybe not as stable as an Atom, it is as much if not more fun and the sound is way way better, depending on the engine.
If Lotus were to make a "track car" they would be competing with exactly that, Ariel and Caterham, maybe 500 cars a year, perhaps 1000 if they got their pricing right, but this is not what they want and its certainly NOT what their owners want. They will of course try to get an extra 20/30/40k *pounds, out of customers for a more track focused version later on, GT type, so maybe you should wait for that????
Meanwhile they have a business to run, employees to pay, overheads to cover and loans to pay back, so they have to make a car which appeals to the reduced masses, and they have done what was a relatively simple thing, but something they had not done in 15 odd years, make an actual good looking car from 90% of the angles possible (in most peoples eyes, not just Lotus Lovers who think the Evora covered this when really there are too many angles where the car simply doesnt work and sale numbers never lie although there are more reasons of course) and has an up to date interior / quality and drives like a Lotus, the last part of which is the easiest of all, as all their cars do that. The evora really just needed a few tweaks design wise, well bringing into the 2020's, inside and out and that was it... something so simple, but took millions and years to do.
If you dont care about the design, and an exige is not a design classic by anyones standards, then why not get a BMW limited run 500 HP coupe..... practical, fast, faster than any lotus in reality, great sound.... and reliable..
You have choices... but I would see what Lotus come up with later, although you will be waiting another year at least over there..

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Cheers.
You can buy the exige cup 430 to bring to Canada - It's called the Radford 62-2 - Fully legal in Canada and warranty by Canadian Lotus Dealers. It is 400K + USD however. Better than a GT3 I would think.

Last edited:

incrediblybad

Reaction score
If Lotus were to make a "track car" they would be competing with exactly that, Ariel and Caterham, maybe 500 cars a year, perhaps 1000 if they got their pricing right, but this is not what they want and its certainly NOT what their owners want.
Backing up your point - they made the 2-Eleven and 3-Eleven - which sold just over 500 cars between them over ~8 years. The Emira will have outsold that, just on the first 6 months of production.

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Cheers.
Agree the cup 430 is the best lotus ever! But disagree that the Emira is in the same category, the GT3 and GT4 are stablished kings, the Emira is try to enter the game, let’s see how it plays out..

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This comparison gets muddied by the sizable price delta (Exige Cup 430 costs about 50% more than Emira). Price being no object, I'd pick a 458 Speciale or F40 or McLaren F1 over a Cup 430. Or even a Radford 62-2. But if I only had $150k to spend, I'd pick the Cup 430 over Emira. If I had $100k to spend, the Cup 430 isn't worth the price bump over the Emira. If I had $30k to spend, I'd get an 86 and not see the Emira worth it when the 86 is dynamically 80% of the Emira (basing this on when Chris Harris compared the 86 vs Cayman) for 1/3 the cost , etc.

This argument basically boils down to "I'd rather have the much more expensive car because it has features justifying its added expense." AKA I'd rather have any car that gets you what you pay for.
Here in blighty it is going to cost near as damn it £82k to get the Emira on the road. Second hand 430 cups are rare on the market but have been advertised from as little as £85k...(this one is currently on at near 90k...

the potential to flip the Emira for an extra £10k and get into a cup 430 is something that has crossed my mind more than once.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Here in blighty it is going to cost near as damn it £82k to get the Emira on the road. Second hand 430 cups are rare on the market but have been advertised from as little as £85k...(this one is currently on at near 90k...

the potential to flip the Emira for an extra £10k and get into a cup 430 is something that has crossed my mind more than once.
Not the same price mile for mile. Would be interesting to see how much a 0 mile 430 would be vs a new Emira. Or that used 430 vs a used 9,600 mile Emira.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not the same price mile for mile. Would be interesting to see how much a 0 mile 430 would be vs a new Emira. Or that used 430 vs a used 9,600 mile Emira.
I don't disagree, but one is a supercar killer while the other is more clearly a sports car...let's see how quickly someone can rack up the miles in their Emira and flip it on to see the comparison you are after, but one will also forever be newer than the other...we are all guilty of drawing these comparisons...I know I am not alone on here in considering the Emira amongst the alternatives of a second hand McLaren, which will undoubtedly cost significantly more to run...but the initial outlay is pretty similar.