McLaren Artura test drive

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
So I drove a McLaren Artura yesterday and I won't go into all the awesome details or a full review of that car, but I wanted to quickly compare it to the Emira I drove last weekend.

First of all, the Artura is a hybrid supercar with nearly 700HP, flappy paddles only, and costs ~3x as much as an Emira FE. However, the Emira weighs about nearly ~300lbs less.. So there's that.

Just driving normally I felt like the Artura was just as exciting to be in control of, but with much more potential. Felt like I was getting a lot of attention from other drivers while in both cars. The Emira made me feel like I was driving an exotic supercar (which some argue is correct).

I was able to take the Artura through some hills and twisties which I didn't get to do with the Emira. As soon as I opened it up I realized this was a car that needed to be respected. It has the power to easily get away from an inexperienced driver (especially with the twin turbo torque curve). Thankfully I've driven many high power vehicles and knew how to control it (and myself). The Emira on the other hand would almost be more fun on the back roads because it can actually be revved out at full throttle without getting sideways. It's manageable power and still sounds fantastic. Also, I felt more engaged with the Emira due to the manual transmission. I don't have any issues with dual clutch cars and respect those who opt for an auto Emira, but there's no denying 3 pedals and a manual shifter is more engaging. My daily driven and occasionally tracked GTI has a tuned DSG trans and on par with Porsche's PDK. It's extremely fast and responsive, but flappy paddles get boring... Even on track. Trust me.

Getting in and our of the Emira is easier. The verticle doors on the McLaren make it a little more supercar and exciting to look at, but it's still a little tricky to get out of since the seats sit lower than the sills and you gotta kinda lean into the huge door jamb to get out somewhat gracefully. Oh and seats? The Emira's are nicer. At least when compared to the comfort seats in the Artura I drove. There are buckets available, but I've sat in those in a 720s and a Senna (did I mentioned there was a Senna there? And a P1 GTR. And a Speedtail... 😂😰) and they aren't comfortable or needed in anything except a track car. The carbon backs are cool to look at though.. Just like the 918 Spyder carbon buckets available in various Porsche GT cars.

And guess what? Both cars have their quirks. Even at $300k, the McLaren has little things here and there that I'm sure forum obsessed fanboys and fangirls have torn apart and complained about since the initial reveal. For example.. The reverse cam displays on the driver's screen and gets blocked if you turn the wheel at all to back into a space. Kinda silly...

Another thing they have in common is there are hundreds sitting in a warehouse waiting on something small like a chip or other small part before finally being released to the customers. It's happening to everyone I guess...

20221029_124451.jpg

20221029_124437.jpg

Last edited:
So I drove a McLaren Artura yesterday and I won't go into all the awesome details or a full review of that car, but I wanted to quickly compare it to the Emira I drove last weekend.

First of all, the Artura is a hybrid supercar with nearly 700HP, flappy paddles only, and costs ~3x as much as an Emira FE. However, the Emira weighs about nearly ~300lbs less.. So there's that.

Just driving normally I felt like the Artura was just as exciting to be in control of, but with much more potential. Felt like I was getting a lot of attention from other drivers while in both cars. The Emira made me feel like I was driving an exotic supercar (which some argue is correct).

I was able to take the Artura through some hills and twisties which I didn't get to do with the Emira. As soon as I opened it up I realized this was a car that needed to be respected. It has the power to easily get away from an inexperienced driver (especially with the twin turbo torque curve). Thankfully I've driven many high power vehicles and knew how to control it (and myself). The Emira on the other hand would almost be more fun on the back roads because it can actually be revved out at full throttle without getting sideways. It's manageable power and still sounds fantastic. Also, I felt more engaged with the Emira due to the manual transmission. I don't have any issues with dual clutch cars and respect those who opt for an auto Emira, but there's no denying 3 pedals and a manual shifter is more engaging. My daily driven and occasionally tracked GTI has a tuned DSG trans and on par with Porsche's PDK. It's extremely fast and responsive, but flappy paddles get boring... Even on track. Trust me.

Getting in and our of the Emira is easier. The verticle doors on the McLaren make it a little more supercar and exciting to look at, but it's still a little tricky to get out of since the seats sit lower than the sills and you gotta kinda lean into the huge door jamb to get out somewhat gracefully. Oh and seats? The Emira's are nicer. At least when compared to the comfort seats in the Artura I drove. There are buckets available, but I've sat in those in a 720s and a Senna (did I mentioned there was a Senna there? And a P1 GTR. And a Speedtail... 😂😰) and they aren't comfortable or needed in anything except a track car. The carbon backs are cool to look at though.. Just like the 918 Spyder carbon buckets available in various Porsche GT cars.

And guess what? Both cars have their quirks. Even at $300k, the McLaren has little things here and there that I'm sure forum obsessed fanboys and fangirls have torn apart and complained about since the initial reveal. For example.. The reverse cam displays on the driver's screen and gets blocked if you turn the wheel at all to back into a space. Kinda silly...

Another thing they have in common is there are hundreds sitting in a warehouse waiting on something small like a chip or other small part before finally being released to the customers. It's happening to everyone I guess...

View attachment 10279
View attachment 10280
Wowser. Lucky you, that's some test drive. Great to get a little insight/comparison to the Emira. You can often get caught up in the detail and forget all great cars have their issues 👍

View attachment 10279
View attachment 10280

I wanted to ask you about the Emira steering vs the STI hydraulic steering. One thing I have come to appreciate is the hydraulic steering on my 19' STI, which is my DD. I felt the Evora GT had a similar feel. Wanted to hear your thoughts? I am almost positive your are a former STI owner, if not my apologies. Great write up with the Artura! I enjoy hearing others detailed perspectives on cars.

I wanted to ask you about the Emira steering vs the STI hydraulic steering. One thing I have come to appreciate is the hydraulic steering on my 19' STI, which is my DD. I felt the Evora GT had a similar feel. Wanted to hear your thoughts? I am almost positive your are a former STI owner, if not my apologies. Great write up with the Artura! I enjoy hearing others detailed perspectives on cars.

I had the first black 2004 STi in the US and a 2006 Aspen White Hawkeye STi for years. Never had complaints about the steering in either though I did upgrade the 06 with Racecomp yellow springs and Group N hardened strut mounts, so my 06 was obviously more responsive. Can't really compare it to the Emira honestly. I sold my 06 STi over 10 years ago and my drive in the Emira was over so quickly. Both very different cars too. STi being a turbo AWD rally inspired 4 door and the Emira being supercharged mid-engine exotic sportscar. There's just so much drastically different in the overall handling and power delivery of each that its hard to pinpoint the steering differences, though I'm sure the Emira's is tighter and more precise from the factory.

Thankfully I've driven many high power vehicles and knew how to control it (and myself).

View attachment 10309

Lol, just a dude who's been active in the car scene for a couple decades. Also owned an auto brokerage for a few years buying and selling luxury and exotic cars for private owners. My pop worked at Lexus for 20 and my mom with Audi, Infiniti, and Porsche while I was growing up. It's kinda in my blood.

I wouldn't dare take a test drive on that! I would have to skip the Emira Test drive all together, it just wouldn't be fare at all, the way I see it, what you don't know, won't hurt you...