Manual DV Collected from Hethel

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Be careful with the collar on the black cord. Sharp edges from the metal collar. Sharp edges together with keys in pocket will scratch up the keys.
Thanks. Not ideal but feels better than my other option of a zip tie ! And I wanted to use my new Lotus key ring !

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The amount of dirt showing on the back of the car in this photo indicates there's a good deal of suction forming behind the car when air flows over it. I wonder if a Gurney Flap would help alleviate some of that? I remember awhile ago seeing a photo of a prototype test car in Europe that had a Gurney Flap on the back of the rear deck lid. That might be something the Advanced Performance Division could develop and market.

View attachment 25436
I like cleaning my cars - for me it’s part of the ownership experience - but I think the Emira will take some time given all the ducts and curves ! Only done a few hundred miles so probably wait until Sunday to get my snow foam out !

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The glare on the windscreen isn’t ideal. Apparently the metal mesh is ventilation for the digital dashboard underneath.
I don’t really buy that - all cars have digital dashboard’s now and none have a vent like that as far as I know. If it was a set of horizontal slots in the same material as the rest of the dash it would still reflect but nothing like as much.

I am going to pretend I am Biggles and it’s a gun sight !

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Done a few hundred more miles including 175 miles up and down the M40 yesterday and first refueling.

Couple of thoughts;

Over revving - it’s seriously annoying. I would like to take a ride in a few other Emiras and see if the same in all manuals. There really is no way to avoid it and it detracts from the overall enjoyment of an analogue driving experience.

Gears - missed 2nd twice. Not going fast. Not in a rush. Just happened with associated graunching ! Given I am an engineer I hate that noise. Will monitor and be even more deliberate with my changes !

Used cruise for first time - took a bit of getting used to as no symbols on the control on the wheel so unless you read the manual it’s trial and error. It holds speed well and once you get the hang of it is easy to adjust/pause/resume but a lot more driver input needed than active cruise (which I am now quite used to on most other cars).

Filled up for first time - got 256 miles on first tank (car said 10 miles range left) and the computer said that was an average of 20.6 miles per gallon. Given most of that was 3 long journeys that is quite poor and not a very good range but hopefully will improve as car loosens up and is run in. I don’t like the lack of a fuel cap and just the flap. Not a big issue but I quite a fuel cap with a badge or logo on it.

Steering on motorway is very “darty” per the smoking tyre review. For me it’s two hands on the wheel and close attention at all times.

Noise - I had my first long distance passenger and we both had to raise our voices a fair bit to talk at motorway speeds. Changes in road surface made a huge difference. The M40 has some stretches or newer, smooth tarmac and the road/tyre noise dropped massively on those. Not a huge issue but together with darty steering and low range, I stick by my initial thoughts that it’s not a relaxing long distance drive.

I still really dislike the steering wheel - made the palm of my hands ache after about 45 minutes on the motorway. I’ll post some better photos of what is causing my issues when I get a chance. Hopped in my GR4 after and the steering wheel is so much more comfortable and easy to use ! I may look to swap to an Alcantara wheel if it is made differently. Shame it’s Not like the old days when I could undo one nut and pop a Momo on !

B roads - after a long stint on the motorway, I had a nice blast across Warwickshire on fast, sweeping and not that busy B roads. The car comes alive and even limiting to 4k it feels fast, nimble and alive. Much more suited to these roads than the motorway (statement of the obvious !). The steering still requires careful attention particularly with changes of camber and bumps. But the suspension is awesome.

Looks - met some old friends and one said “like the Ferrari”. Ok, so he is not a petrol head, but no doubt the Emira punches well above its cost on looks, and currently also on rarity.

Last edited:

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The over reving - can you do a video for me to compare, I have noticed a couple of times, but mostly not. Only did the drive back from Hethel to Woking on any Mway, was not uncomfortable or noisy really, and I was not at constant speed, up and down gears and accelerating and letting off per Scotts advice. I really like the steering wheel - mine is Alcantara. The shape takes getting used to, but it feels good to me. Agree with nimble and alive, again, I like the steering, it feels good to me - but then I am used to an Exige S2 with an unassisted rack that talks to you ALL the time..

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The over reving - can you do a video for me to compare, I have noticed a couple of times, but mostly not. Only did the drive back from Hethel to Woking on any Mway, was not uncomfortable or noisy really, and I was not at constant speed, up and down gears and accelerating and letting off per Scotts advice. I really like the steering wheel - mine is Alcantara. The shape takes getting used to, but it feels good to me. Agree with nimble and alive, again, I like the steering, it feels good to me - but then I am used to an Exige S2 with an unassisted rack that talks to you ALL the time..
Will do a video. New to find my suction phone mount to pop phone on side window. Might be a job for the weekend.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Done a few hundred more miles including 175 miles up and down the M40 yesterday and first refueling.

Couple of thoughts;

Over revving - it’s seriously annoying. I would like to take a ride in a few other Emiras and see if the same in all manuals. There really is no way to avoid it and it detracts from the overall enjoyment of an analogue driving experience.

Gears - missed 2nd twice. Not going fast. Not in a rush. Just happened with associated graunching ! Given I am an engineer I hate that noise. Will monitor and be even more deliberate with my changes !

Used cruise for first time - took a bit of getting used to as no symbols on the control on the wheel so unless you read the manual it’s trial and error. It holds speed well and once you get the hang of it is easy to adjust/pause/resume but a lot more driver input needed than active cruise (which I am now quite used to on most other cars).

Filled up for first time - got 256 miles on first tank (car said 10 miles range left) and the computer said that was an average of 20.6 miles per gallon. Given most of that was 3 long journeys that is quite poor and not a very good range but hopefully will improve as car loosens up and is run in. I don’t like the lack of a fuel cap and just the flap. Not a big issue but I quite a fuel cap with a badge or logo on it.

Steering on motorway is very “darty” per the smoking tyre review. For me it’s two hands on the wheel and close attention at all times.

Noise - I had my first long distance passenger and we both had to raise our voices a fair bit to talk at motorway speeds. Changes in road surface made a huge difference. The M40 has some stretches or newer, smooth tarmac and the road/tyre noise dropped massively on those. Not a huge issue but together with darty steering and low range, I stick by my initial thoughts that it’s not a relaxing long distance drive.

I still really dislike the steering wheel - made the palm of my hands ache after about 45 minutes on the motorway. I’ll post some better photos of what is causing my issues when I get a chance. Hopped in my GR4 after and the steering wheel is so much more comfortable and easy to use ! I may look to swap to an Alcantara wheel if it is made differently. Shame it’s Not like the old days when I could undo one but and pop a Momo on !

B roads - after a long stint on the motorway, I had a nice blast across Warwickshire on fast, sweeping and not that busy B roads. The car comes alive and even limiting to 4k it feels fast, nimble and alive. Much more suited to these roads than the motorway (statement of the obvious !). The steering still requires careful attention particularly with changes of camber and bumps. But the suspension is awesome.

Looks - met some old friends and one said “like the Ferrari”. Ok, so he is not a petrol head, but no doubt the Emira punches well above its cost on looks, and currently also on rarity.
The gearing needs getting use to and will loosen up over time. Changing 5th to 4th can can sometimes be challenging and selecting reverse too.

The darty steering is a prominent if the tyre’s pressures aren’t correct. I corrected the pressures on the door jam and it’s much better. Although it is still a characteristic of a Lotus.

I can hold a conversation in the car with the stereo off. You will get used to it with the engine at the back. I’d make sure you don’t have any wind noise coming from the door seals and mirrors by making sure it seals properly/doors aligned properly and apply some rubber trim sealant to keep seals nice and soft. Also stops the door squeaks. Some of the doors seals on mine had gone white/faded.

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The gearing needs getting use to and will loosen up over time. Changing 5th to 4th can can sometimes be challenging and selecting reverse too.

The darty steering is a prominent if the tyre’s pressures aren’t correct. I corrected the pressures on the door jam and it’s much better. Although it is still a characteristic of a Lotus.

I can hold a conversation in the car with the stereo off. You will get used to it with the engine at the back. I’d make sure you don’t have any wind noise coming from the door seals and mirrors by making sure it seals properly/doors aligned properly and apply some rubber trim sealant to keep seals nice and soft. Also stops the door squeaks. Some of the doors seals on mine had gone white/faded.
Many thanks. Will try those tips 👍🏻

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Dropped off at GVE in Uxbridge for full Xpel PPF, wheels, glass and interior protection and ceramic.

Will post more on how the PPF has gone when I pick up in the PPF thread.

The Emira doesn’t look at all out of place in this company !

IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4049.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
New gremlin the other day on the M40 -

Warning light and message “ESC service required” together with “Engine Reduced Acceleration” which limited revs to 4000.

Was on motorway so couldn’t stop. 20 mins from home so waited till got home to turn car on and off which reset things.

Bit disconcerting and hope it isn’t the start of more things boing awry.

As the car loosens up the gearbox is sweeter. Great to be able to use more revs - north of 4k is where the best noise kicks in. Stereo also sounding better.

Steering wheel remains uncomfortable and a lesson in marketing form over function.