Magma Red with Red interior

Lotushavefun

Reaction score
Yo Forum bros and gals. This will be my first Lotus and I'm going for Magma Red with Red interior. My question is... is Red on Red too much red? Or overkill? 🤔

SVMLH

Reaction score
It is up to your personal taste. I think the magma red looks very good bit would never buy a car with red leather. Maybe alcantara with red stiching would look nice, or the ice grey leather to have it with more accent?

Lotusrat

Reaction score
Yo Forum bros and gals. This will be my first Lotus and I'm going for Magma Red with Red interior. My question is... is Red on Red too much red? Or overkill? 🤔

Ah, also the C6, C7, and now C8 Corvette conundrum; Red mist metallic (or older burgundy names), with torch red interior. Over the years, I have seen burgundy Trans Ams with red interior, and Lambo or two like this. I certainly like it better than the McDonald mobiles, but to each their own.

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Personally speaking, I think all sports cars should have a dark interior. Has to be black leather for me but ultimately people will be looking at the stunning exterior too much to notice 🙂

aEdMIRA

Reaction score
I thought this would look good too. Kind of Ferrari f40, Honda Type R configurations. Lotus have suggestions for the interior/exterior and red and red is classed as AVOID - but that does not necessarily mean you have to! They also have designer choice and acceptable combinations - may be a good idea to check with your dealer to confirm. I am going ferrarilike now with my red and tan.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
First off, it's personal taste, so each to his own. Secondly, you asked for opinions so I'll offer mine.

I think interior matching exterior loses a bit of form and drama. The contrast of interior to exterior when you look inside or open a door adds another dimension. I am not a fan of all red interiors BUT red and black together done well looks awesome. by way of example look at all red 911 interiors, especially 996 models - it's just too much (same goes for 911s in black and sand). However, I very nearly bought a 911 997 series turbo as it had a red and black interior which was the highlight of the whole car - and that is what the Emira has the potential to mirror as the interior will be red and black.

Personally, I just wouldn't pair that with a red exterior but maybe with the Shadow or, even better, the Nimbus grey.

OP
Lotushavefun

Lotushavefun

Reaction score
First off, it's personal taste, so each to his own. Secondly, you asked for opinions so I'll offer mine.

I think interior matching exterior loses a bit of form and drama. The contrast of interior to exterior when you look inside or open a door adds another dimension. I am not a fan of all red interiors BUT red and black together done well looks awesome. by way of example look at all red 911 interiors, especially 996 models - it's just too much (same goes for 911s in black and sand). However, I very nearly bought a 911 997 series turbo as it had a red and black interior which was the highlight of the whole car - and that is what the Emira has the potential to mirror as the interior will be red and black.

Personally, I just wouldn't pair that with a red exterior but maybe with the Shadow or, even better, the Nimbus grey.
True that! Thanks👍

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Got to be contrast for me as well. I quite like red interiors as long as they have black dashboards like in the Emira. Red leather with Nimbus is a possibility for me. Red is growing on me but if its bright on outside gotta be dark on the inside :)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I thought this would look good too. Kind of Ferrari f40, Honda Type R configurations. Lotus have suggestions for the interior/exterior and red and red is classed as AVOID - but that does not necessarily mean you have to! They also have designer choice and acceptable combinations - may be a good idea to check with your dealer to confirm. I am going ferrarilike now with my red and tan.

Do you have a full list of the suggestions?

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If I had gone red body, I would have also gone red leather . DO IT

Nonoyeah

Reaction score
70% of new Ferraris are not painted red. Personally I love idea of red /red but I hate leather seats. So as of now i am going red/black Alcantara

Reaction score
I am going Magma with tan. Have red/tan on my Evora and still love it

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 136

Singularity

Reaction score
I am going Magma with tan. Have red/tan on my Evora and still love it
Mmmm…

Hadn’t thought of this combination (lovely car btw!). Really drawn to red exterior at present but reserving judgment until I can see the samples this Friday. Was erring to a black interior with the red exterior but tan might be on the ascendancy! Thanks for posting your picture.

aEdMIRA

Reaction score
Do you have a full list of the suggestions?
Hi. No, but the dealers have their internal communications. It shows a matrix of what works and what doesn't work and there is a designer choice e.g. magma red with black, black pack and black wheels. This is to help customers who need guidance. I asked whether red and red was too much and it just said avoid BUT that is just Lotus' opinion, they would still build it if requested :)

Reactions: Rob

Rya

Reaction score
Mmmm…

Hadn’t thought of this combination (lovely car btw!). Really drawn to red exterior at present but reserving judgment until I can see the samples this Friday. Was erring to a black interior with the red exterior but tan might be on the ascendancy! Thanks for posting your picture.
What show are you going to on Friday

Singularity

Reaction score
What show are you going to on Friday
Hi,

Sorry - was away and not tracking e-mails so missed the question.

Went to Park's in Hamilton Friday night (15th) and then popped back on Saturday to see the colours in daylight. The pictures by Tom E on the Colour thread are pretty accurate to what I remember by eye; the big takeaway is that the green is very, very dark. They felt they needed to offer a green as some European markets would expect it plus it is doubling up for those who tend toward black for their cars. Personally, I'm now leaning to the red as the green just seems too dark. However, was also surprised to find the blue looks much better in the metal than pictures, the metallic sheen jumps out much more so I can see why that was picked for the show car.

Talking with the Lotus crew they have a restricted colour palette at present because they want to limit options while there's all the issues with the supply chain ongoing and focus more on getting the quality and supply timing right before they then open up the options goody bag. I also gleaned that if you're heading towards the i4 engine then you will certainly be able to see example cars at showrooms before you have to commit your colour choice. They want to scatter about 20+ models around the dealer network just ahead of the first deliveries to the V6 customers and will seed all of the colours out there. They are currently debating whether they can rotate these, but acknowledged the logistics seems really tricky so might have to rely on people travelling if they want to see a specific colour their local dealer doesn't have.

They said they will want a colour decision about 3-4 months ahead of your car's production run, which for the first i4 customers means early(ish!) summer next year. So I've now 'relaxed' a bit, knowing that for the i4 I'll be able to see an actual car before having to commit. (y)

Hope this helps.

Nick

Reaction score
I am in the Magma Red/Red Interior camp too. I used to own an Elise in Ruby Red with red leather interior. It looked great IMHO. The red in the interior was not overwhelming, as parts of the seat were dark as well as the top of the dash, sills, carpet etc. You can just about make out some of it in the pic below (wish I had an interior pic)

lotusf22.jpg