Lotus factory automation

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I posted this on another thread but thought it was worth a thread of its own. Interesting article about the new factory at Hethel to build the Emira, supporting production of nearly 5000 cars a year.

I posted this on another thread but thought it was worth a thread of its own. Interesting article about the new factory at Hethel to build the Emira, supporting production of nearly 5000 cars a year.

Funny they are still mentioning ADAS aspects and how they test the tech. A let down not being included in FE cars. Our reward for being early adopters is losing out in fact. Ohhhh well just bloody deliver me the car already 🤣

Other manufacturers are removing tech from cars to get round chip supply issues. Tesla are apparently re-writing code to work on chips that are available. It’s crazy at the moment.

Funny they are still mentioning ADAS aspects and how they test the tech. A let down not being included in FE cars. Our reward for being early adopters is losing out in fact. Ohhhh well just bloody deliver me the car already 🤣
They're not including it because they don't want to, they're not including it because the system they have doesn't meet the new requirements that apparently go into effect next year. Though the ACC is nice on a long trip, it isn't a necessity. Regular cruise control is fine; just have to pay attention like the old days. The only part of that system I would like is the lane change warning, but I'll just have to do it the old fashion way; look over my shoulder and use my mirrors. I may just get the sticker for the side view on the passenger side that says "Objects in mirror are losing".

They're not including it because they don't want to, they're not including it because the system they have doesn't meet the new requirements that apparently go into effect next year. Though the ACC is nice on a long trip, it isn't a necessity. Regular cruise control is fine; just have to pay attention like the old days. The only part of that system I would like is the lane change warning, but I'll just have to do it the old fashion way; look over my shoulder and use my mirrors. I may just get the sticker for the side view on the passenger side that says "Objects in mirror are losing".
Can not remember but was we ever informed we was getting ACC? I thought just normal cruise control?

Other manufacturers are removing tech from cars to get round chip supply issues. Tesla are apparently re-writing code to work on chips that are available. It’s crazy at the moment.
Mercedes are not selling premium plus on EQC at the moment because of the upgraded music system and roof uses quite a few chips which could help stock for other models and spec cars

Can not remember but was we ever informed we was getting ACC? I thought just normal cruise control?
ACC was part of ADAS and mentioned in the 6 July media release when the Emira was revealed. When the V6 FE pricing and specs came out it didn’t have ADAS and just standard CC.

There is a lot in this article. I would love to tour the facility. It's exciting to be a part of the potential evolution of Lotus. With no more ICE cars is this facility for EVs? This is a 20 year investment seemingly.

Great read.

There is a lot in this article. I would love to tour the facility. It's exciting to be a part of the potential evolution of Lotus. With no more ICE cars is this facility for EVs? This is a 20 year investment seemingly.
Yes, the factory will be able to build the EV sportscars. Geely committed to continuing to build Lotus sportscars at Hethel. The SUVs will be built in China, starting with the Type 132 being launched in spring next year.

Yes, the factory will be able to build the EV sportscars. Geely committed to continuing to build Lotus sportscars at Hethel. The SUVs will be built in China, starting with the Type 132 being launched in spring next year.

That's actually good news. According to the article the factory is setup for low volume manufacturing with a loop configuration as part of the assembly line. That says to me that Lotus's EVs will also have an exclusive nature to them and they are not trying to just make as many of them as they can (which isn't a bad but isn't what Lotus is all about). Maybe Lotus will make the first EV I am interested in. I would buy a Lucid Air if I won the lottery.

The bonded aluminum chassis already takes less metal than a welded chassis. That combined with the need for fewer internal parts due to the electric motors and batteries means Lotus can make a fast sports car, small, that may be very very roomy.

The target for the Lotus/Alpine EV sportscar is to be no heavier than the Emira's 1405kg, 300+ mile range and sub 3s 0-60. That plus Lotus ride and handling will be pretty exciting. I think the Type 132 SUV is going to surprise people too.

ACC was part of ADAS and mentioned in the 6 July media release when the Emira was revealed. When the V6 FE pricing and specs came out it didn’t have ADAS and just standard CC.
Oh thanks. So no mention when price was mentioned

Just speculation here! There has been a lot on the forums regarding when pricing will be released for various models. I am a nerd for innovation and I love this article about Lotus Automation. My interpretation of the article is that this innovative process allows Lotus to build custom ordered cars with "assembly line" type pricing. Therefore, it may be difficult to announce pricing because they themselves are still ironing out what each option will cost with this new innovative process. That sheds more light on the FE pricing and the Base Pricing being the only thing released at this point. Go Lotus! The wait for cars and information is tough, but a big thumbs up to a company on the move that is using significant parts from other countries. German engine, Japanese engine, American supercharger, etc.

If the brand is to continue to grow stronger, they need more than a great product, they also need a way to build them efficiently at a lower cost with high quality. This is tougher to do when all the orders are custom. I have also attached the Durr article that discusses more about the paint process just in case there are more nerds out there.

I'm looking forward to them eventually being able to do the bespoke service they have had for a number of years on the Elise, Exige and Evora. The system is clearly capable of doing it:

"All Lotus cars are built to order with Lotus Exclusive allowing customers to make their Lotus truly unique, with each vehicle carefully finished according to individual requirements including a choice of an almost infinite number of colors limitless on all of its model lines. Individualization including stripes and highlights will continue to be painted manually."

Just speculation here! There has been a lot on the forums regarding when pricing will be released for various models. I am a nerd for innovation and I love this article about Lotus Automation. My interpretation of the article is that this innovative process allows Lotus to build custom ordered cars with "assembly line" type pricing. Therefore, it may be difficult to announce pricing because they themselves are still ironing out what each option will cost with this new innovative process. That sheds more light on the FE pricing and the Base Pricing being the only thing released at this point. Go Lotus! The wait for cars and information is tough, but a big thumbs up to a company on the move that is using significant parts from other countries. German engine, Japanese engine, American supercharger, etc.

If the brand is to continue to grow stronger, they need more than a great product, they also need a way to build them efficiently at a lower cost with high quality. This is tougher to do when all the orders are custom. I have also attached the Durr article that discusses more about the paint process just in case there are more nerds out there.

Really interesting article on the new paint process. Moreover, I wonder if it truly does telegraph a future of limitless colors? I also wonder how they manage separate painting of the body and black pack. Does anyone know how that works? If the black pack could instead be thought of as “color pack #2” and the lower black pack re me Aun black, it opens up some cool possibilities. Of course, maybe easier to do customization with ppf. Great read!

Makes me rethink the whole FE thing. If they have this automated high tech paint system why can’t we get the colors we WANT, not this limited somewhat lame number of choices

I'm looking forward to them eventually being able to do the bespoke service they have had for a number of years on the Elise, Exige and Evora. The system is clearly capable of doing it:

"All Lotus cars are built to order with Lotus Exclusive allowing customers to make their Lotus truly unique, with each vehicle carefully finished according to individual requirements including a choice of an almost infinite number of colors limitless on all of its model lines. Individualization including stripes and highlights will continue to be painted manually."
Interesting times for Lotus. Look forward to what is in store for us, their customers. As mentioned above, a Lotus EV will have my interest.

If Lotus Exclusive will be anything like what Porsche offers (Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur), then that is a good thing. I recall seeing some wonderful (and weird) creations that came out of this customisation programme in the 90's and early 2000's.

I've had a long and complicated explanation from Lotus about why it's only 6 FE colours and these particular six. It's basically down to productivity and quality control while they ramp up the new factory.

Extra colours will come later. Originally they'd said after 3-6 months, so I think practically they can do it then. But for model and variant reasons I suspect the extra colours will either be introduced for the i4 First Editions, or only for Base Editions.

The Bespoke service will return but probably not until late in 2023 at the earliest. It'll be essentially any colour you want plus stripes or two tone or whatever (all at a premium).

The relevant parts of Lower Black Pack and Black Paint are painted.

I've had a long and complicated explanation from Lotus about why it's only 6 FE colours and these particular six. It's basically down to productivity and quality control while they ramp up the new factory.

Extra colours will come later. Originally they'd said after 3-6 months, so I think practically they can do it then. But for model and variant reasons I suspect the extra colours will either be introduced for the i4 First Editions, or only for Base Editions.

The Bespoke service will return but probably not until late in 2023 at the earliest. It'll be essentially any colour you want plus stripes or two tone or whatever (all at a premium).

The relevant parts of Lower Black Pack and Black Paint are painted.
Yes, I know they are painted, but how are they painted separate from the body color?