Lotus EV bankrolled by world's richest man!

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
49A21C1C-EC6B-4809-B158-900E631B3250.png

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For comparison, GM's market cap is $55B but they sold 5.9M cars last year. Lotus EV has... not.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's a backdoor listing via a SPAC, so they can effectively set the valuation at anything they want as long as the owner of the SPAC (L Catterton) agrees to be diluted to that level. It doesn't mean the market will agree with that valuation longer term.

I see this as a mixed outcome for Lotus: the US$288M cash in the SPAC will be a welcome relief for management but I worry about the short-term pressures of public company ownership as well as the impact of having L Catterton on their shareholder register (L Catterton is a private equity investor focused on aspirational consumer brands . . . they are not car guys).

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
It's a backdoor listing via a SPAC, so they can effectively set the valuation at anything they want as long as the owner of the SPAC (L Catterton) agrees to be diluted to that level. It doesn't mean the market will agree with that valuation longer term.

I see this as a mixed outcome for Lotus: the US$288M cash in the SPAC will be a welcome relief for management but I worry about the short-term pressures of public company ownership as well as the impact of having L Catterton on their shareholder register (L Catterton is a private equity investor focused on aspirational consumer brands . . . they are not car guys).
I think the whole SPAC market is due for some correction. Such a loophole/back door approach.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But Lotus has a high margin and unique business model: accept deposits and do not deliver cars. 😎
It's like an NFT but, you know, without all the compute infrastructure! Emira deposits are Web4!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting. I can't think of any automotive SPACs that worked out well for investors over the last few years.
Let's see. Right now Lotus doesn't appear to be too accountable to its customer and fan base per Emira..... and now they wish to set themselves up to be accountable to shareholders.
How's that going to work out?

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's confusing. It looks like they spinning out just Lotus Technology, the EV business based in China. If that's so, where does that leave the rest of Lotus Group, especially Lotus Cars in the UK which lacks EV expertise or resources?

And who will own/control/design the electric sports car replacing the Emira?

OP
Jonhklee

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's confusing. It looks like they spinning out just Lotus Technology, the EV business based in China. If that's so, where does that leave the rest of Lotus Group, especially Lotus Cars in the UK which lacks EV expertise or resources?

Have they binned it all already? Emira is their goodbye swan song….

Makes one wonder about long term support for the platform….. it will be nothing like what Porsches or BMW M-division for sure….

FEGuy

Reaction score

I had the same question. I actually came on here (cancelled my Emira a few months ago) to see if anyone knew. I’m not up to date on the Lotus structure but this actually seems rather bad for Lotus Cars UK. It essentially implies that Geely is putting it out to pasture if they’re so formally separating the ownership of the EV business from the company making the Emira.

Hethel Merman

Reaction score

Lacks EV expertise or resources?
Did Lotus not build (and do a lot of the engineering on) all 2500 Tesla Roadsters way back in 2008, and in 2019 started producing their popular Evija model? I believe there was some tie-up with Detroit Electric too but I can't remember the details.