Is This For Real?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Anyone in Scotland, is this for real? Is the Scottish government actually now going to start discouraging personal car use??

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
In Scotland here. Nothing wrong with increasing public transport use. Public transport in Scotland is shocking at the moment. They will be massively taxing us then….

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As stated above, this is a cash grab by the Scottish gov. Public transport is terrible so they will fund extending it in the cities and urban areas it by taxing visitors who come to Scotland to drive around the pretty places that would never get public transport anyway. Get your £1000 ticket for the NC500 now :cool:

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Scotland is totally rubbish and not worth visiting at all….. I would keep away from the roads. It is not pretty nor fun to visit anyway, and the food & drinks are utter rubbish. I’m not even going to mention the sceneries…..

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Charging people to use public roads? Do they not realize that there is an economic impact - less tourism leads to less hotel stays, shopping, restaurants.... Once again, mostly affecting the small business owner. Not saying increasing public transport is a bad idea, of course.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
this is a Scotland who want independence from the UK so they can then sell their independence to the EU.........

Play silly games and win silly prizes with these politicians

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
this is a Scotland who want independence from the UK so they can then sell their independence to the EU.........

Play silly games and win silly prizes with these politicians
As the 12th generation descendant of Scots who were driven off their ancestral lands by the English crown and then charged usurious rents by petty English nobility for the "privilege" of shareholding to scrape out a squalid living on the same land that they had owned, worked, and hunted for hundreds of years, leading to them needing to flee to another continent to try to find a place to live in peace and freedom without English interference... I think you probably need to put some of your opinions about Scotland in perspective.

Last edited:

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Charging people to use public roads? Do they not realize that there is an economic impact - less tourism leads to less hotel stays, shopping, restaurants.... Once again, mostly affecting the small business owner. Not saying increasing public transport is a bad idea, of course.
No different than the USA toll roads.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m totally ok to pay per mile charging….. and have waaaay better public transport system in Scotland. The remote areas and tourist areas needs controlled traffic to be fair. NC500 is constipated during peak seasons and the wear and tear & facilities needs proper investment

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Many toll roads in Canada. It's a necessary way to finance and maintain infrastructure.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Don’t think charging more to travel by car will drop Scotlands tourism. Like in the French Alps, a tourist tax is a way to improve facilities and infrastructure to attract more tourism in fact. Places like Edinburgh and Isle of Skye is always over subscribed without any vacancies all year round. Accommodation is very expensive, folks around the world still flock to visit.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
No different than the USA toll roads.
Many toll roads in Canada. It's a necessary way to finance and maintain infrastructure.
Yes this is true... nobody enjoys driving on them tho haha. I maybe mis understood, I thought they were charging a road fee for all roads. If its select highways (busy ones) then that is different. I thought it was paying to drive on a B road, to reduce cars wanting to drive on scenic roads.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Public transport where I live is shocking and I'd welcome more investment into it. The bus takes about 2 hours to get into the nearest city and only around 40 mins by car. That and only a handful of the buses with the number for my town actually come here so you need to plan very carefully if using it. If charging to use some of the roads around here meant better road upkeep and better public transport, I reckon I'd support it.