i4 Emira at Millbrook Proving Ground

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The i4 was at Millbrook today, in camouflage paintwork. A couple of times I was behind it on the mile straight....... it seemed to be accelerating and braking a few times down the straight and , surprisingly, made a deep throated growl. It had large diameter exhaust outlets, very medallion man!

I was in a Mclaren Artura which easily hit 190 mph before braking to pass round the elevated turn at the end. The i4 blatted away off the line. You never know what's being tested or its configuration. There is an unwritten rule you never ask questions and all phone cameras are covered with stickers.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Speculation based on sound....it definitely was not a V6......the V6 is distinctive. This was something else.....maybe Toyota's 3 pot from the GR Yaris?
That would be cool but not powerful enough, even with a safe tune pushing 350bhp. Now if they had only bolted 2 together ...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A great spot and interesting info. I’m surprise you’re allowed to publicise what’s being tested.

Aside from the engine/exhaust sound, the engine cover is different on the i4 and easy to spot if you’re close enough behind it.

OP
roundincircles

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A great spot and interesting info. I’m surprise you’re allowed to publicise what’s being tested.

Aside from the engine/exhaust sound, the engine cover is different on the i4 and easy to spot if you’re close enough behind it.
In what way Tom? Looked on the configurator but no clues I can see...

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I4 engine cover. In the V6 you are actually looking at the engine. To be fair, you would need pretty good eyesight to spot that if you were following in another car.

1664465625196.jpeg

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The i4 was at Millbrook today, in camouflage paintwork. A couple of times I was behind it on the mile straight....... it seemed to be accelerating and braking a few times down the straight and , surprisingly, made a deep throated growl. It had large diameter exhaust outlets, very medallion man!

I was in a Mclaren Artura which easily hit 190 mph before braking to pass round the elevated turn at the end. The i4 blatted away off the line. You never know what's being tested or its configuration. There is an unwritten rule you never ask questions and all phone cameras are covered with stickers.
You are keeping my i4 dreams alive…

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I4 engine cover. In the V6 you are actually looking at the engine. To be fair, you would need pretty good eyesight to spot that if you were following in another car.

View attachment 9259
The i4 engine cover fully covers the engine bay and is symmetrical, with a white line down the centre.

The V6 engine cover is asymmetrical and doesn’t cover the cylinder head, which sits slightly above the cover and to the right of the centre line when viewed from behind. The cover and cylinder head are both dark coloured, so it’s tricky to spot.

The V6 also has a small silver cylinder (relief valve) above engine level between the engine and bulkhead. This is visible if you’re following directly behind.

DF565623-1496-4C67-BDB2-57AB259E1FD5.jpeg

Pic: Evo

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The i4 engine cover fully covers the engine bay and is symmetrical, with a white line down the centre.

The V6 engine cover is asymmetrical and doesn’t cover the cylinder head, which sits slightly above the cover and to the right of the centre line when viewed from behind. The cover and cylinder head are both dark coloured, so it’s tricky to spot.

The V6 also has a small silver cylinder (relief valve) above engine level between the engine and bulkhead. This is visible if you’re following directly behind.

View attachment 9260

Pic: Evo
@TomE - great detail (almost train spotter/aeroplane spotter level):ROFLMAO:
Will the i4 have a different exhaust arrangement, that is a dead giveaway on Jaguar Ftypes and probably some other brands no doubt.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@TomE - great detail (almost train spotter/aeroplane spotter level):ROFLMAO:
Will the i4 have a different exhaust arrangement, that is a dead giveaway on Jaguar Ftypes and probably some other brands no doubt.
I though everyone knew I was trainspotter level on all things Lotus?

All the development cars so far have had the same exhaust exits and finishers for the i4 and V6. Configurator shows them as same too.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 9259
Here is the V6 with the hatch closed for comparison, and on its side apparently!

Attachments

• 668E0154-E911-49F2-82C0-6BC95E59DAD3.jpeg
    668E0154-E911-49F2-82C0-6BC95E59DAD3.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 55

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When I spoke to Matt Windle at the Elan 60 event on 25 Sep he said he'd driven the I4 "last week". I wonder if it was this test car.