I was Charged FE 2.0 price for a FE 1.0… but there is a twist

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I did do as much homework as possible, I knew the price difference between a 1:0 and a 2.0 and was assured that this was a 2.0 ( I have that in a text message conversation).

I also kept asking for the window sticker (4 emails and text in a month asking for it) and was told that that lotus still hasn’t sent it to them.
I’m not sure what else I could have done on my end?
I do love the car and as I mentioned I’m totally ok with paying a premium to take over someone’s allocation but I think it’s shady that I was told I was being charged sticker price + $10k when in fact I have been charged sticker price + $21k…
Just curious, if you knew the price difference between FE1.0 and FE2.0, did you not realize that $120k was significantly higher than FE 1.0 MSRP + 10k ADM?

Edit: never mind, I read the newer posts and it makes more sense now. Thanks!

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It does make me curious just about the legal mechanics of increasing the price during the same model year. I presume this is normally not an issue, because most manufacturers make small bumps and just change the price on cars manufactured after X date.

What’s interesting about this Lotus example is that the cars were not produced before the price increase, and they just gave price holds to specific people. I’d say based on order date, but that’s not even technically right, more of dealer allocation randomness. So they had to create specific window stickers with a lower price for “this specific list of orders”. But then people given that price lock back out, and the dealer only has this lower window sticker.

All of this is to say that Corporate Lotus really screwed this up. It would be a lot cleaner if the first allocation of cars had actually been produced and arrived first. Having 2 MSRPs being produced and shipped at the same time is just a really bad business practice.
I'm not sure why you're so upset. You do understand the difference between FE 1.0 and FE 2.0, right? Due to inflation, Lotus had to increase the price for everyone, but promised that those who had already placed an order for one of the original allocation of FE's would not see a price increase. These are non-refundable orders, not just refundable deposits.

The original allocation for North America was 700 cars, with 500 being for the U.S. Because the demand so greatly exceeded the original planned allocation, Lotus agreed to increase the allocation to a total of I believe 1,900 cars to North America. Those additional allocations would be referred to as V2 and all of them would be at the higher inflation-adjusted price; a price both the dealers and the customers would have to pay. As a consolation, those who ordered a V2 would be able to choose from 7 additional colors that were not available to V1 customers. The consolation for the V1 customers was being able to keep the original price that was quoted when they placed their orders.

Mist White is one of the additional 7 colors, so yes it's a V2 (second allocation) car, and it's at the higher inflation-adjusted price. The dealer isn't lying or mis-representing things to you.

To say Lotus has made a mess of this is an understatement, but it is what it is. Tell me about it. I placed my order July 11, 2021 and my car still isn't even in the country, while you already have your 2nd allocation V2 Mist White car. You get to drive and enjoy your car while all I have is a hat, a pen and a key fob holder, and I've been waiting for 30 months and counting.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What Lotus should have done is show the new higher MSRP on all the cars being built for the US, but include a discount line taking the $10k back out and indicating "Original pricing honored for prior special order".

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm not sure why you're so upset. You do understand the difference between FE 1.0 and FE 2.0, right? Due to inflation, Lotus had to increase the price for everyone, but promised that those who had already placed an order for one of the original allocation of FE's would not see a price increase. These are non-refundable orders, not just refundable deposits.

The original allocation for North America was 700 cars, with 500 being for the U.S. Because the demand so greatly exceeded the original planned allocation, Lotus agreed to increase the allocation to a total of I believe 1,900 cars to North America. Those additional allocations would be referred to as V2 and all of them would be at the higher inflation-adjusted price; a price both the dealers and the customers would have to pay. As a consolation, those who ordered a V2 would be able to choose from 7 additional colors that were not available to V1 customers. The consolation for the V1 customers was being able to keep the original price that was quoted when they placed their orders.

Mist White is one of the additional 7 colors, so yes it's a V2 (second allocation) car, and it's at the higher inflation-adjusted price. The dealer isn't lying or mis-representing things to you.

To say Lotus has made a mess of this is an understatement, but it is what it is. Tell me about it. I placed my order July 11, 2021 and my car still isn't even in the country, while you already have your 2nd allocation V2 Mist White car. You get to drive and enjoy your car while all I have is a hat, a pen and a key fob holder, and I've been waiting for 30 months and counting.
I’m not upset at all, nor have I ever said my dealer lied to me.

Think you are combining multiple things from multiple people.

I’m just curious how this normally would have happened vs the mess that took place.

Edit: Just to be clear. I know my car was in the second allocation and I happily paid that price. The OP of this thread is the one with questions about his dealers practices. I’ve only been trying to make 2 points, because they are important in my eyes. 1) All cars are officially by Lotus corporate Emira First Editions technically. You won’t get anything officially designating it an FE1.0 or FE2.0. 2) That Lotus corporate hasn’t really followed how price increases work for most brands (due to their CARB fiasco) and that has made this situation worse.

Last edited:
OP
E

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just curious, if you knew the price difference between FE1.0 and FE2.0, did you not realize that $120k was significantly higher than FE 1.0 MSRP + 10k ADM?
I did know the price increase of a Fe 2.0 and when I asked if that’s why mine was higher I was told yes. It’s a 2.0 which it is in fact not

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I did know the price increase of a Fe 2.0 and when I asked if that’s why mine was higher I was told yes. It’s a 2.0 which it is in fact not
If it's Mist White, then yes it is 2.0. Mist White was not available to 1.0 customers.

OP
E

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If it's Mist White, then yes it is 2.0. Mist White was not available to 1.0 customers.
I think you are confusing me with another forum member. He is talking about a myst white, not me and what happened in my case ( I’m the OP). my car is shadow gray and sticker price is $98k definitely 1.0

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
I think you are confusing me with another forum member. He is talking about a myst white, not me and what happened in my case ( I’m the OP). my car is shadow gray and sticker price is $98k definitely 1.0
Is the Lotus badge on the front of your car Black and Yellow or Green and Yellow? I heard that FE 1.0 had Green and Yellow badges, while all FE 2.0 had Black and Yellow badges

Edit: Has been disproven by another forum member

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Okay, I see now. Yeah it was a 1.0 customer's car who cancelled out. This is somewhat tricky, in that only original customers were promised the price-protection, and you weren't the original customer on this order. That means the dealer had to accept the car into their inventory anyways when the customer backed out. The current MSRP is the new inflation-adjusted price, so they can actually charge more for it. MSRP is just that, a "suggested" price, not a hard requirement.

This is what happens when you have a high-demand car and low supply. The dealers can charge more and get away with it. If you have it in writing that they would only charge you $10k above sticker, then you might have a legal case due to what the actual sticker has. You'll have to weigh the costs of pursuing the price difference, versus just accepting it. Lawyers and court cases aren't cheap.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is the Lotus badge on the front of your car Black and Yellow or Green and Yellow? I heard that FE 1.0 had Green and Yellow badges, while all FE 2.0 had Black and Yellow badges
I have an FE1. 0 with black and yellow. I have yet to see a green badge on a US production car.

Do you have a photo of the green badge on a production Emira anywhere in the world? Even the original launch cars before production seem to have had black.

Lotus-Emira-Headlamp-Wide.jpg

OP
E

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Edit: Has been disproven by another forum member
I had mine changed. I ordered the black and silver from England. Mine were yellow

OP
E

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Okay, I see now. Yeah it was a 1.0 customer's car who cancelled out. This is somewhat tricky, in that only original customers were promised the price-protection, and you weren't the original customer on this order. That means the dealer had to accept the car into their inventory anyways when the customer backed out. The current MSRP is the new inflation-adjusted price, so they can actually charge more for it. MSRP is just that, a "suggested" price, not a hard requirement.

This is what happens when you have a high-demand car and low supply. The dealers can charge more and get away with it. If you have it in writing that they would only charge you $10k above sticker, then you might have a legal case due to what the actual sticker has. You'll have to weigh the costs of pursuing the price difference, versus just accepting it. Lawyers and court cases aren't cheap.
I got the car; paid for it and I’m enjoying it.

I’m just annoyed at the lack of transparency and the fact that I was never actually given a sticker price with options until the car was delivered and paid for.

It is what it is. I’m moving on but I just wanted to let you guys know of what happened because I still think it’s pretty shady on their end to advertise it as $10k over sticker when in fact it’s $21k over sticker.

The lotus price increase just gave them an excuse to charge an extra $11k and blame it on lotus when it should have not affected a car that was already acquired and priced at the original MSRP.

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I believe another physical way of recognizing an original color V1 shadow gray Emira from a V2 shadow gray Emira is the stowage net located in the passenger footwell. The V1 is not supposed to have the net.

The joke about it being a 10k upgraded bottle holder had roots in that differentiation.

This screenshot is from Jubbal’s recent V2 delivery on YT. The net is right above his hand.

Attachments

• IMG_6882.jpeg
    IMG_6882.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 29

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well that's super weird. All the UK cars I've seen appeared to be black.

The high res original promo shots here, for example:

View attachment 39986

Hmm... that picture looks green to me... Maybe it's just the Dark Verdant cars that are weird - reminds me of the whole "difficult to photograph" excuse.
Not that I care. It looks good enough for me.

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I got the car; paid for it and I’m enjoying it.

I’m just annoyed at the lack of transparency and the fact that I was never actually given a sticker price with options until the car was delivered and paid for.

It is what it is. I’m moving on but I just wanted to let you guys know of what happened because I still think it’s pretty shady on their end to advertise it as $10k over sticker when in fact it’s $21k over sticker.

The lotus price increase just gave them an excuse to charge an extra $11k and blame it on lotus when it should have not affected a car that was already acquired and priced at the original MSRP.
It sounds like they did lie to you, but many dealers from different brands charge over the sticker price… especially if you were not the original name on the allocation. Call a Porsche dealer and try to buy an GT car sitting in their showroom and you’ll see that sticker doesn’t mean much. The new Corvette a couple years ago? Same.

Again, it’s supply and demand, and you paid a premium for jumping the line ahead of people waiting 2.5 years, and instead waiting weeks. To many people (including yourself) that premium was justified.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I believe another physical way of recognizing an original color V1 shadow gray Emira from a V2 shadow gray Emira is the stowage net located in the passenger footwell. The V1 is not supposed to have the net.

The joke about it being a 10k upgraded bottle holder had roots in that differentiation.

This screenshot is from Jubbal’s recent V2 delivery on YT. The net is right above his hand.

I have a 1.0 and mine has the storage net. Also yellow and black emblems.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It sounds like they did lie to you, but many dealers from different brands charge over the sticker price… especially if you were not the original name on the allocation. Call a Porsche dealer and try to buy an GT car sitting in their showroom and you’ll see that sticker doesn’t mean much. The new Corvette a couple years ago? Same.

Again, it’s supply and demand, and you paid a premium for jumping the line ahead of people waiting 2.5 years, and instead waiting weeks. To many people (including yourself) that premium was justified.
I don't think he's arguing any differently. The sole objection here seems to be that he was boldly lied to in response to a direct question.

I think it's a real issue at play here: should businesses that openly lie to their customers and behave unethically be free to do so without any consequence whatsoever, or should we as a community name and shame these people so that there's some moderating influence on their behavior?