How to measure performance for the Emira?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
We all know the common responses to the fairly underwhelming advertised ~4.3s 0-60 time for the Emira:
  • "It's not about 0-60"
  • "The real fun is between 60-100."
  • "It's all about handling and acceleration out of the corners"
  • "They shine on the track!"
Ok, sure.. That's fine and all, but at what point can we just admit that the Emira (or any Lotus for that matter) isn't breaking records OR the best at anything. A 4 second 0-60 isn't impressive in today's standards. We don't have published 60-100 times. It's hard to find dyno charts for Evoras since few actually tune and dyno theirs. We don't have (or really care about) 1/4 mile times, but we also don't get Nürburgring times either because Lotus refuses to test their vehicles there. So all we have is the Hethel track times (we don't even have that yet) and all they're good for is comparing those times to other Lotus. AND (for whatever reason) the outgoing Evora GT is more powerful and quicker.

I'm not bashing the brand and excited for my First Edition, but this is frustrating, no? Sure "it's all about the experience driving one" but that can be said about lots of cars. It'd be nice if Lotus did something (anything) better than the other brands besides being a quirky yet exciting brand with a spotty history and questionable reliability. I hope their communication to customers improves and press reviews LOVE the Emira... /rant

Last edited:

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You'll likely get flamed for being realistic but you are 100% right. It's slow and you have to spend over $10,000 on the Evora to make it what it should be. Komotec 475, corrected gearing and final drive.

expect a lot of delusional responsesfrom fanboys

Last edited:

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
There are two mid engine cars that have power worth getting:
Lotus Emira
Porsche Cayman S

Everything else is either a crappy sports car, aka, anything not mid-engine. Even a 911 does not handle as well as the car 1/2 it's price that Porsche sells (Cayman/boxster). That's dumb.

Another thing is that it is not ugly. Everything BMW makes is ugly. A corvette is super ugly and is built like crap. Really, the only two driver's cars to buy are 718 Porsche or this new car.

So, one of the most beautiful cars on the road, that actually handles perfectly, for under $100k, and is one of only two models, really I duno what to tell people. In 4.7 seconds you are now done with your acceleration run and are about to arrested for reckless driving. The car will be scraped and destroyed by a tow truck as they impound it and remove half the paint of it as it sits 1/2 inch away from a rusted truck in an impound. I duno what to say. Also, it will not flip over when you are going 120mph on a turn, unlike just about every other car sold under 150k aside from an ugly corvette.

(one could add the MX-5 RF from Mazda as being not ugly and a great car, just quasi-mid engine though)

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@~el~jefe~ that is the exact response I expect and completely deluded. I honestly don't even know where to start. Good riddance

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
@~el~jefe~ that is the exact response I expect and completely deluded. I honestly don't even know where to start. Good riddance
4GIV8M3: "IM A DRIVER I HAVE MY OWN PARKING SPOT I AM IMPORTANT I DESERVE TO BE LISTENED TO I DRIVE ON A TRACK EVERY HOUR OF THE DAY I AM LIKE MICHAEL SCHUMACHER I KNOW RACING" I love these types. just buy the freakin car or not.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
the emira has announced performance figures that are in line with the competition (Cayman GTS/GT4, BMW M2 mostly). So I'm not sure why all the fuss about the performance.

I have 385hp in my 2016 GT4 and it's plenty for track and road use and it has the same 0-100 as the emira.

Sure the Z06 will be a killer, but personally, there are other trade-offs, like no manual or overall meh design...

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In my opinion most cars now are too fast and have no feel/engagement. Looking at the likes of Golf R and RS3, huge power available, but a numb driving experience. Will absolutely blow a car like the Emira out the water in a straight line, and potentially round a track too, but I can almost guarantee I'll be having a more fun time.

Definitely a generalisation here, but most people I see complaining about the power figures are from North America where roads are often much straighter and wide open, so in a way I get it. But in the UK where Lotus cars are made and developed the roads are narrow and twistier and so that is where it will excel. In terms of the feel and handling there won't be a lot that comes close, especially in this price range.

Personally I'm quite happy with the figures, around 400bhp and around 4.3 seconds to 60 is quite similar to my Supra, and on the roads around where I live that is absolutely fast enough, and since it lacks the feel and engagement, it isn't as exciting until you are well above the speed limit. I'm looking forward to a car that will have a good amount of power, and enough feel and engagement that will keep it entertaining on back roads at sane speeds. If I wanted outright power for drag races there is no doubt I would be buying something else.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Simply put... you want fast get a bike..... go to the drag strip.... all i have done. In my road car I want something I can enjoy.... thats not so much power its wanting spin me round at the slight aplication of the throttel.What I want is something thats has balance and good poise.... Speed cost..... you can go faster if you spend 150K both in the emira and a loud of extra bits.... or buy a Noble

No ones making you by the car

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Simply put... you want fast get a bike..... go to the drag strip.... all i have done. In my road car I want something I can enjoy.... thats not so much power its wanting spin me round at the slight aplication of the throttel.What I want is something thats has balance and good poise.... Speed cost..... you can go faster if you spend 150K both in the emira and a loud of extra bits.... or buy a Noble

No ones making you by the car
Also simple... You want more power and good handling, buy a Ferrari, Lambo or Mclaren and pay at least double:

Your choices

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
And they are all too fast for true enjoyment on British roads
Best way to appreciate the performance of the Emira is to drive around in a car with a lot less power. I’ve got a mundane day day car and then my V8 M3 (0-60 around 4.8 ish seconds). When I jump into my M3 from the mundane car I always think bloody hell it’s quick.

I’m lucky I haven’t driven anything faster then what my Emira will be but I’ve often been out dragged in cars with less power but more aggressive drivers in my M3.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Best way to appreciate the performance of the Emira is to drive around in a car with a lot less power. I’ve got a mundane day day car and then my V8 M3 (0-60 around 4.8 ish seconds). When I jump into my M3 from the mundane car I always think bloody hell it’s quick.

I’m lucky I haven’t driven anything faster then what my Emira will be but I’ve often been out dragged in cars with less power but more aggressive drivers in my M3.
Totally agree.
I honestly think 300 bhp is more than enough in a reasonably light car (sub 1400)
400 or 416 in the Emira will be plenty
Drag races etc are completely moot nowadays when a hot hatch can easily be running 450bhp and 4wd.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Totally agree.
I honestly think 300 bhp is more than enough in a reasonably light car (sub 1400)
400 or 416 in the Emira will be plenty
Drag races etc are completely moot nowadays when a hot hatch can easily be running 450bhp and 4wd.
Or coming up against a lot of electric cars. The other day this little Honda E blew me at the lights, I didn’t know we were racing but it was off 😛

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Remember the old saying gentlemen...."it's far more fun driving a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
And don't get me wrong, I'm not staying the Emira is going to be slow, but it's all relative.
I drove a Nissan GTR and it was unbelievably quick, but the car felt like it was driving me not vice versa, so digital, so numb, so boring.
Give me analog any day.
Every single time I got into my Ariel Atom it was an event, because it's analog and very raw.
That's why I hope Lotus does not take all of the rawness out of the Emira, I want some "Elise" and "Exige" in it.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Or coming up against a lot of electric cars. The other day this little Honda E blew me at the lights, I didn’t know we were racing but it was off 😛
I love the Honda e honestly contemplating one for the commuter!

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Remember the old saying gentlemen...."it's far more fun driving a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
And don't get me wrong, I'm not staying the Emira is going to be slow, but it's all relative.
I drove a Nissan GTR and it was unbelievably quick, but the car felt like it was driving me not vice versa, so digital, so numb, so boring.
Give me analog any day.
Every single time I got into my Ariel Atom it was an event, because it's analog and very raw.
That's why I hope Lotus does not take all of the rawness out of the Emira, I want some "Elise" and "Exige" in it.
You are so right about driving a slow car fast.... I sold my my BMW 840D xdrive... to clear the decks for the emira..... brought this little Honda Jazz, 2006 with over 120k on, past mot first time..... and I love trashing it around.... dont car if i total it.... cost £500 which is less than my excess on my insaurance and protected no claims :):)

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You are so right about driving a slow car fast.... I sold my my BMW 840D xdrive... to clear the decks for the emira..... brought this little Honda Jazz, 2006 with over 120k on, past mot first time..... and I love trashing it around.... dont car if i total it.... cost £500 which is less than my excess on my insaurance and protected no claims :):)
Ha ha love you said that. I ran this 700 pounder for 2 years. So much fun and cost me nothing
Edited to say it actually looks quite respectable on that photo 😅

Attachments

• 20200805_113341.jpg
    20200805_113341.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 40
Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts