• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

How much later is the release date of the i4 over the V6?

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Any idea how much later after the release of the V6, the i4 will be available? That is, is the First Edition only the V6 or will there be a corresponding First Edition AMG offering at the same time? Personally a Manual 4 Cylinder would be the perfect combination :) but the local dealer explicitly states no other combinations planned.

BTW choose a manual 6 in the configurator and change it to a i4 and rotate the car - there is an image of a car with Manual Stick and i4 Engine cover in the one image - suspect an error or does this give hope to a combination that is currently denied :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was told by Lotus staff at Goodwood that first i4 deliveries would be 3 months after first V6 deliveries and there would be First Editions of both. So April 2022 onwards for V6 and July for i4.

Development work is running longer on the i4, which is a new engine to Lotus whereas they’re already very familiar with the V6. Lotus are engineering their own intake, exhaust and mapping on the AMG.

i4 will be DCT only, there’s a glitch in the configurator :)

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Was told by my dealer I4 production starts in Sept/Oct after the summer break. But the info from Lotus staff above might be more accurate

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Development work is running longer on the i4, which is a new engine to Lotus whereas they’re already very familiar with the V6. Lotus are engineering their own intake, exhaust and mapping on the AMG.
I trust Lotus to do the right thing, I just hope they have luck with doing their own intake and exhaust and mapping on the AMG. AMG has spent a lot of time tuning the I4 to get to the power output they are getting, does Lotus think they can tweak even more or is it just an issue with making the package fit the envelop of the car? I cannot wait to hear it! I plan to drive a AMG CLA 45 to see and feel the engine and transmission.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I trust Lotus to do the right thing, I just hope they have luck with doing their own intake and exhaust and mapping on the AMG. AMG has spent a lot of time tuning the I4 to get to the power output they are getting, does Lotus think they can tweak even more or is it just an issue with making the package fit the envelop of the car? I cannot wait to hear it! I plan to drive a AMG CLA 45 to see and feel the engine and transmission.
Lotus aren't chasing peak power for the launch Emira. They're actually de-tuning the peak power to get the torque curve they want in order to meet their drivability requirements. Plus they want to get below an emissions target, as the i4 is aimed at being a more affordable alternative in markets where the V6 will be heavily taxed.

They do a load of consultancy work for other companies and this was their preferred engine to offer alongside the V6. As you say, I think we can trust them to do a great job with it. Look at what they've done with the engine from a Camry ;)

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lotus aren't chasing peak power for the launch Emira. They're actually de-tuning the peak power to get the torque curve they want in order to meet their drivability requirements. Plus they want to get below an emissions target, as the i4 is aimed at being a more affordable alternative in markets where the V6 will be heavily taxed.

They do a load of consultancy work for other companies and this was their preferred engine to offer alongside the V6. As you say, I think we can trust them to do a great job with it. Look at what they've done with the engine from a Camry ;)
As they say in New Orleans, tru dat