How many Evijas have been sold?

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And how many do you think will have been sold when all is said and done?

Wouldn't it be a bit awkward if they end up selling very few of these?

Reason I am asking is that I feel the brand cannot really support the kind of pricing so I am curious from a business/branding perspective what the logic is.

I spoke to Lotus about this and they said half the allocations of the Evija were taken I believe they had 140 ish initially.

They also said the Evija will be re marketed and improved.

First customer deliveries are due to be in the next couple of months.

tough market - there's some nice metal out there for that kind of money

I bet one can negotiate some serious discounts on these!

Even with a 95% discount that's still more than the Emira lol

I had my name on the list so I got the updates, until they asked for the deposit .... £250k! 😮

That is probably what they cost to build! 🤓

If they reach a certain volume, yes. But if we are talking about a few hundred of those, I imagine the cost is pretty staggering per vehicle.

That being said, conceptually they should be able to allocate some of that cost to the Emira which is bound to sell at least 20,000 units I imagine.

I've been curious about that but also curious how many Radford Type 62-2s have been ordered. More attainable from $400k+ yet rarer capped at 62 units vs the $2M Evija capped at 130 units. Some recent pics including a rendering of the maroon car to debut soon at Goodwood:

1655270548549.jpeg

1655270558870.jpeg

1655270568699.jpeg

1655270574081.jpeg

I feel like this is one those cars I should love but the proportions seem a little off to me 🧐
It's an acquired taste (built from an Exige but with extended wheelbase). I also didn't think much of it until I dug into the history of the Type 62 which was a racecar using Europa body panels (same bread van look you're probably seeing) and was the engine testbed for the Europa's successor--the Esprit. And the Europa was Lotus's first production mid-engine sports car made to be attainable and superlight amid the original supercar era (Lamborghini Miura). There's still a strong Europa cult following today in Japan (seen all over YouTube) where multiple anime series and movies were made through the decades (I've watched almost all). It's the early foundation of Lotus mid-engine production sports cars through today. And that Team Lotus black and gold JPS scheme is purely classic.

1655278385779.png

1655278475534.png

It closely aligns with Emira's concept as a luxury sports grand tourer but is the supercar version while Emira is its closest junior fundamentally. But Emira is also a baby Evija in terms of design language.

And how many do you think will have been sold when all is said and done?

Wouldn't it be a bit awkward if they end up selling very few of these?

Reason I am asking is that I feel the brand cannot really support the kind of pricing so I am curious from a business/branding perspective what the logic is.
Interesting; I always got the impression that the Evija was a hot ticket item! I even thought I heard something last year to the effect that they had all sold out. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though...

Personally, I love the Evija and I don't see anything else like it on the market today. There's the Rimac Nevera which is no doubt a technological marvel, and the Pininfarina Battista, but neither of those excite me the way the Evija does.

Is the EV hypercar segment a hard sell in general or something?

Interesting; I always got the impression that the Evija was a hot ticket item! I even thought I heard something last year to the effect that they had all sold out. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though...

Personally, I love the Evija and I don't see anything else like it on the market today. There's the Rimac Nevera which is no doubt a technological marvel, and the Pininfarina Battista, but neither of those excite me the way the Evija does.

Is the EV hypercar segment a hard sell in general or something?

You bring up a few good points.

It's not that EV hyper car segment is a hard sell. It's just so new that we don't really know how to react to it just yet. Not to mention a relatively cheap Model Y Performance can do 0-100 in 3.6 seconds.

My feeling is that the brand image of a hypercar is easily 50% of the equation. Let's just say that Hyundai or Genesis produced the exact same car as the Mercedes Project One, there is no way they can go for $3m apiece. So, the fact that Lotus was near bankrupt can't be good for image.

In addition, if the Evija goes for $2m while the Emira which has 85% of the looks and 70% of the performance (if the performance of ICE and EV models can be compared at all) goes for less than $100K, then I can't imagine people really going for the $2M Evija.

In fact I'd imagine half a million dollars might be a more realistic starting point for the Evija. Afterall the legendary Mercedes McLaren SLR goes for just over half a mill.

I've been curious about that but also curious how many Radford Type 62-2s have been ordered. More attainable from $400k+ yet rarer capped at 62 units vs the $2M Evija capped at 130 units. Some recent pics including a rendering of the maroon car to debut soon at Goodwood:

View attachment 6514
That ticks ALL my boxes.

Just 300k short.....

About 6 months after launch they'd sold all of the planned 2021 production, which was half the 130. Then another wave of Covid delayed validation work and the first deliveries were delayed into 2022.

According to Jenson Button, the chassis of the Evija is carbon fiber all the way from front to back. That has to be a big part of the expense.

I'm really curious to see what Russell's team has done with the Type 135. Maybe something in between the Evija and Emira. Something with 200 hp per wheel instead of the Evija's 500 hp. Smaller battery pack, something similar to the Emira chassis-wise.

Jenson said the Evija was only 200kg heavier than the Emira, but that's with the carbon fiber chassis and the battery pack necessary to drive the 500 hp per wheel. If the Type 135 had 200 hp per wheel (smaller lighter motors), a lighter battery pack, but used some of the construction techniques of the Emira with the bonded aluminum chassis, they might be able to bring it in at say 1500-ish kg. With 800 hp it would be quite a performer. They could even go down to 150 hp per wheel for a total of 600 hp to save some more weight, and it would still be a stunner. Hopefully they can bring it in under $100k.

The big issue for all the electric cars is going to be cost. If the average family/buyer can't necessarily afford them now, what are the lower economic classes going to do? Spending $75k+ is already out of reach for most, what's going to happen when that price rises to $85k+? When all the manufacturers have stopped production of ICE cars in the next few years, the logical result will be the market for used ICE cars is going to become seriously hot. They'll be the only cars the majority can afford.