• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Hill Hold?

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how hill hold works? I havent owned a stick in over a decade and certainly never one w hill hold.
TY!

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure when I stop on a hill it just puts the handbrake on and releases it when I pull off. It’s one of those things you don’t think about afterwards. It works but not as good as my previous DCT. I always use the brake and would look to see it has engaged just in case.

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was curious on this too. I noticed it doesn’t work on slight hills, only steeper ones. When on a hill and in gear, the car will hold you for 2 seconds allowing you time to press the clutch and gas without any rollback.

Since this is my first time with a car with hill hold, I used to have the clutch nearly at the engagement point and do the quick feet dance with the gas pedal to not roll back. That can be daunting on super steep hills so glad to have this feature. Just can’t rely 100% on it in case it fails!

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow, how much do I hate the hill hold? Well, hated. 1st impression was just terrible. I had 5 or 6 days of driving around without being on the right slope (with the right brake pedal pressure?) to engage it, so it caught me off-guard when it first happened, Sitting in traffic, single lane, at a red light.

Light turns green, foot off the brake and start working the throttle/clutch aaaaand the car says "Where are you goin', pal? Nowhere..."

It 100% did not release as-designed when I loaded up the clutch in 1st. Back to the brake pedal to scan the dash for lights/warnings (none), fiddle with the parking brake button manually to try and get it to release (it didn't), then rinse and repeat with throttle and clutch in my attempts to move. Probably held up traffic for 10 seconds, but as you all know, that feels like an eternity of being "that guy".

At some point, unknowingly, my foot was probably off the brake pedal FOR A FULL TWO SECONDS and the hill hold released, granting me permission to go forth. (Smelling a bit of clutch at this time too).

I went back to the user manual afterwards which describes the feature as releasing automatically when detecting forward motion OR when two seconds have passed after releasing the brake pedal. So I went out for another drive, found a hill, activated the gremlin and confirmed that will two full seconds off the brake, the hill hold released and on I went. But no, mine does not release at all on attempt to move.

Now I think, but haven't proven, that you can avoid hill hold on any moderate hill by only lightly depressing the brake pedal. But at some point a hill is so steep that you may need enough pedal travel in order to keep the car stopped and the system will certainly engage. So for now, the move is to count "one and a two and a...." while you cover the throttle and clutch, and just modulate as soon as the car releases you. Imagine a set of 5 red lights about to go out as you wait. :cool:

Remember, "knowing is half the battle".

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow, how much do I hate the hill hold? Well, hated. 1st impression was just terrible. I had 5 or 6 days of driving around without being on the right slope (with the right brake pedal pressure?) to engage it, so it caught me off-guard when it first happened, Sitting in traffic, single lane, at a red light.

Light turns green, foot off the brake and start working the throttle/clutch aaaaand the car says "Where are you goin', pal? Nowhere..."

It 100% did not release as-designed when I loaded up the clutch in 1st. Back to the brake pedal to scan the dash for lights/warnings (none), fiddle with the parking brake button manually to try and get it to release (it didn't), then rinse and repeat with throttle and clutch in my attempts to move. Probably held up traffic for 10 seconds, but as you all know, that feels like an eternity of being "that guy".

At some point, unknowingly, my foot was probably off the brake pedal FOR A FULL TWO SECONDS and the hill hold released, granting me permission to go forth. (Smelling a bit of clutch at this time too).

I went back to the user manual afterwards which describes the feature as releasing automatically when detecting forward motion OR when two seconds have passed after releasing the brake pedal. So I went out for another drive, found a hill, activated the gremlin and confirmed that will two full seconds off the brake, the hill hold released and on I went. But no, mine does not release at all on attempt to move.

Now I think, but haven't proven, that you can avoid hill hold on any moderate hill by only lightly depressing the brake pedal. But at some point a hill is so steep that you may need enough pedal travel in order to keep the car stopped and the system will certainly engage. So for now, the move is to count "one and a two and a...." while you cover the throttle and clutch, and just modulate as soon as the car releases you. Imagine a set of 5 red lights about to go out as you wait. :cool:

Get your updates done, hill assist not releasing is a known issue and was fixed some time ago

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I read that track mode disables hill start assist; have not tested it, though

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Get your updates done, hill assist not releasing is a known issue and was fixed some time ago
Thanks, I thought I recalled reading that. So unfortunately, this may prove that some or all of the US CARB cars that sat forever were not updated by Lotus or Dealer before delivered to us. I already reported this to my dealer, and will update this thread if that sorts it.

OP
B

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought I recalled reading that. So unfortunately, this may prove that some or all of the US CARB cars that sat forever were not updated by Lotus or Dealer before delivered to us. I already reported this to my dealer, and will update this thread if that sorts it.
I picked up my car last Tues (CARB Calif.) and dealer confirmed they updated flash on every car they received. (Still havent even driven yet to know if I have any gremlins cuz PPF shop way behind!)

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I picked up my car last Tues (CARB Calif.) and dealer confirmed they updated flash on every car they received. (Still havent even driven yet to know if I have any gremlins cuz PPF shop way behind!)
good deal. when you get it, find a good hill and let us know if you can pull away under power in less than two seconds after releasing the brake pedal. if the car doesn't fight you, I'll assume my dealer didn't flash this update.

OP
B

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
good deal. when you get it, find a good hill and let us know if you can pull away under power in less than two seconds after releasing the brake pedal. if the car doesn't fight you, I'll assume my dealer didn't flash this update.
So im still struggling to understand the point of hill hold. You still have to keep your foot on brake and clutch on a hill right? And then when light is green you put foot on gas, let out the clutch and it's supposed to prevent you from rolling back??

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So im still struggling to understand the point of hill hold. You still have to keep your foot on brake and clutch on a hill right? And then when light is green you put foot on gas, let out the clutch and it's supposed to prevent you from rolling back??
that's the intent. no e-brake with a handle any more, so the system tries to prevent any rollback for you. my car doesn't want me to go forward either, for two seconds, whereas others with the software fix are reporting that they can pull away and the brake immediately releases for them.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wish you could just turn it off. Its working as intended on mine. I have troubles sometimes backing into garage with a small incline. Don't always know if you're at the catch point on the clutch and holding yourself or the car is holding it. It was very unnerving when it releases after 2 secs the first few times it happened.
Getting better at it at least.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Don‘t worry about it — just drive your car like you always do and it’ll do its thing. I have it on my base model Isuzu ute too and it’s terrific. Just give it a few more beans when you drive off on a hill so you don’t stall.

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hill start works great but you’ve got to press the clutch for it to work. IE stop with the clutch depressed.

If you cruise to a stop in neutral and release the brake the car starts to roll back.

Trips&pics72

Reaction score
Is there a solution or not for this hill-start assist problem?
I've been through hell several times today: repeated engine stalls in traffic and serious clutch overheating!

Trips&pics72

Reaction score
I've been through hell several times today: repeated engine stalls in traffic and serious clutch overheating!

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
since your car seems to be pre-update like mine, I recommend you try waiting a full two seconds after releasing the brake pedal and then try engaging the clutch with throttle as usual. if that works, then there's your workaround and tell your dealer you want the update as soon as practical. if two seconds off the brake doesn't release the brake for you, then I would contact your dealer and tell them it's urgent.

maplesyrup

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I have had the same issue 3 times. It’s not everytime that it doesn’t release but in 1 month of ownership in a hilly vancouver I’ve had it happen 3 times. Nice to know that I just need to wait 2 seconds

*Mine is a post-update car.

RichiEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I had to search for this thread, but I’m glad I found it. I am experiencing the exact same thing. 2 seconds feels like an eternity when everyone is staring at your “Ferrari“ at the red light.

My wife was driving behind me last night and asked me, “what happened at the traffic light?” I can’t let her see this behavior! She’ll finally have an excuse to make me return it to the dealer. LOL

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had to search for this thread, but I’m glad I found it. I am experiencing the exact same thing. 2 seconds feels like an eternity when everyone is staring at your “Ferrari“ at the red light.

My wife was driving behind me last night and asked me, “what happened at the traffic light?” I can’t let her see this behavior! She’ll finally have an excuse to make me return it to the dealer. LOL
Just gas it, burnout always wins