❔ QUESTION Has anyone adjusted their shift cable slack yet?

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm just curious how to do it. I have a bit over 1/2" of fore and aft play I'd like to reduce to 1/8" or so, which would be consistent with the side to side play.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What he's calling "slack" may just be the difference in throw horizontally vs. longitudinally. The short shift kit reduces the longitudinal throw.
I think he refers to the "wiggle" room even when in gear. It's the same as before without the kit installed in my case. I also think it's a bit more "wiggly" compared to other sporty cars, for me compared to the i30n. However, my shop says some adjusting of the cable could be made to reduce it. I don't find it necessary however

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder if they are all the same because I don't find mine that slack at all and the gear drop in crisp when some owners state otherwise?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think he refers to the "wiggle" room even when in gear. It's the same as before without the kit installed in my case. I also think it's a bit more "wiggly" compared to other sporty cars, for me compared to the i30n. However, my shop says some adjusting of the cable could be made to reduce it. I don't find it necessary however
Gotcha!!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder if they are all the same because I don't find mine that slack at all and the gear drop in crisp when some owners state otherwise?
I think they are different from car to car depending on the adjustment. Mine doesn't have any slack either, which is probably why I misunderstood the original question.

OP
S

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mine clearly is on the higher side of the spec, if there is one. The fore aft play is such that I constantly need to make sure its in gear and when I shift, I have to take up the play before the shifter actually shifts.. Its just distracting. I can see the adjustment on the cables through the mesh there, I just dont know if its easier to get to it from teh top or the sides.. or somewhere else (closer to transmission). I'm hoping I can just pop off one of the cables, twist it in a couple turns, re-set the lock nut and call it a day. BUT some of those cables are a total PITA to remove. I did this to my JCW mini and I thought I was going to break it - like level 10 effort to get it to pop off!

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm just curious how to do it. I have a bit over 1/2" of fore and aft play I'd like to reduce to 1/8" or so, which would be consistent with the side to side play.
I've asked the dealer to check and adjust - car in for first service ATM, I had noticed some fore and aft play had crept in exactly as you describe, will report back after.