Goodwood - updates and info

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
"we're not, it's too hard to picture and show properly".
I know what he means.
In most circumstances it it really dark,
In bright light on certain areas it can misleadingly 'okay'.

Bottom line. Why did they have to give us such a dark green.
I wanted green and I believe, in my first poll at the other forum, green was the clear winner in desire.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Maybe Tom can answer this one. I looked at them really closely yesterday and the nimbus wheels are all one colour of light gun metal on all surfaces. The seneca and hethel emira's have the same wheels but in distinctly different colours with very dark inner surfaces and silver edges that say they are the diamond cut option on the signs. Given there are only 3 choices and the other is all black, I assumed the Nimbus car has the silver wheels.
The Nimbus car had diamond cut wheels. I hadn't spotted any differences in the finishes between the DC wheels on different cars. Knowing that there are wheel supply issues, I suspect if there are differences then some wheels may be non-production.

Here are my pics of the DC wheels on Nimbus and Hethel cars - I can't see any differences other that those due to different lighting and nearby surfaces..

DC wheel - Nimbus.jpg

DC wheel - Hethel.jpg

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I know what he means.
In most circumstances it it really dark,
In bright light on certain areas it can misleadingly 'okay'.

Bottom line. Why did they have to give us such a dark green.
I wanted green and I believe, in my first poll at the other forum, green was the clear winner in desire.
It's all bollox again tho isn't it.
It's not hard to photograph a car. All photos are open to interpretation, but something is always betterbthan nothing! If you can't or don't want to do it in house then there are plenty of studios that will do it for you.
Silver wheels not available, cant do it in house? Bollox, just get a set of your black or diamond cuts painted up in the correct Pantone by any local alloy wheel refurber.
Waiting a year since initial release at Goodwood and still not showing all exterior, interior colour options complete bollox. We know they have a green car so show it. Smack in the face to all those customers that have ordered it and travelled to Goodwood or the Factory to 'hopefully ' see it.

Kingslim

Reaction score
The photos you and others posted of the Nimbus car are very clearly the diamond cut wheels. They're the same as the Seneca and Hethel cars.
Maybe it’s just me. I was there yesterday, the wheels on the blue, red and yellow hill run cars look the same as last years blue stand car, diamond cut, dark inners, silver edges. They are not the same colour as the nimbus stand car which are all one colour up close. In photos they do look two tone but they just don’t in reality. Someone who is there today can put me straight!

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi @TomE ,

Thanks again for everything! I have a small favour to ask if possible when you’re talking to the Lotus folks. First off I have no animosity to those in the UK who’ve got their cars coming later this summer and had opportunities to attend Lotus events and see the car in the flesh.

My question is I’m genuinely curious if they are aware of the customer experience in the Canadian market - I know some things are out of their control, but do they know how bad it is by comparison? I contacted Lotus and expressed interest to place a deposit on the Emira on July 8, 2021 - they got back to me about a week later and I immediately put down 5K. I gave an advance deposit on the Eletre as well pre-announcement and I think I may be #1 after dealer cars in Canada. And for that, I haven’t received a single update or communication - all I got was an e-mail around September 2021 with the price of the FE and to go on the configurator and prepare my spec and they would contact me ”very soon in the fall” (2021) to place my order. It’s been radio silent ever since. Do we even exist? It’s like we’re the unwanted guest at the dinner party who’s not offered anything to eat or drink in hopes that maybe well just leave lol. I want the two cars so badly but I‘m having serious second thoughts about red flags once/if I actually get the cars should there be any issues with either one for example. I know some ppl are upset about a 6-week delay, over here we’ve got nothing - it’s been 9 months since the last e-mail indicated an order call would be imminent and crickets ever since.

Thanks a million If it’s possible to ask about this.

Daniel
I discussed some of the North America issues with Matt and others at Hethel in January and again at Goodwood on Thursday. Some of it stems from the different model in NA and the relationships (contractual and informal) between Hethel, Lotus Cars USA and NA dealers.

Lotus assume NA dealers will take the primary role in the customer relationship. There's some reluctance to step on their toes by doing too much directly with customers, particularly in light of the recent changes to UK dealer model and attempts by other manufacturers in NA to change the dealer model.

But I agree there is more that could be done to improve comms to NA (and other) customers, including providing better and more frequent updates to dealers and maybe even some templated materials they can send on easily.

Like several others, I keep being told things will improve. I've seen very little evidence of that in the last 5 months, although Matt's recent video update was a big step forward. I do know there is more in the pipeline and further opportunities coming up for me and other forum members to pose questions to senior Lotus folks on this and other topics.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Maybe it’s just me. I was there yesterday, the wheels on the blue, red and yellow hill run cars look the same as last years blue stand car, diamond cut, dark inners, silver edges. They are not the same colour as the nimbus stand car which are all one colour up close. In photos they do look two tone but they just don’t in reality. Someone who is there today can put me straight!
See my post above. The Nimbus wheels are clearly two-tone diamond cut.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's all bollox again tho isn't it.
It's not hard to photograph a car. All photos are open to interpretation, but something is always betterbthan nothing! If you can't or don't want to do it in house then there are plenty of studios that will do it for you.
Silver wheels not available, cant do it in house? Bollox, just get a set of your black or diamond cuts painted up in the correct Pantone by any local alloy wheel refurber.
Waiting a year since initial release at Goodwood and still not showing all exterior, interior colour options complete bollox. We know they have a green car so show it. Smack in the face to all those customers that have ordered it and travelled to Goodwood or the Factory to 'hopefully ' see it.
Having seen the finish on the diamond cut I don’t think you could just spray them. It would take a lot of work to get them customer ready. It would be way too much work for them to justify it.

Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Concerningly, speaking to Matt about car pics.... I asked him when we're getting DV pics; he pretty much straight up refused to publish them. His words were effectively "we're not, it's too hard to picture and show properly". I didn't really know how to respond. Or if he was serious...
That response is utterly comical. So they have enough guts to put it on possibly the world's biggest automotive stage being the Top Gear "studio" but they won't go and hire a decent photographer and get some photos? Lost for words!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Having seen the finish on the diamond cut I don’t think you could just spray them. It would take a lot of work to get them customer ready. It would be way too much work for them to justify it.
It is no work at all, honestly. As I said send them out to a third party and they will charge you a hundred pounds per wheel...

bbpxbbpx

Reaction score
I thought diamond cut and painted wheels are identical wheels. Only difference is diamond cut requires to be put on a lathe after painting for the "cut" to make the top surface shiny. They then all get the clear coat on top. So I am surprised that there are DC and black but no silver. Maybe my understanding above is incorrect.

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The dv car I saw in April at the factory didn't look good I was told by the person driving it was an early paint job not done to production spec, so I haven't mentioned it on here, but since I have lost faith some faith in the lotus project. The dv panels inside looked impressive but that's catching a lot of factory light. With mates saying no pics are coming indicates to me how much they are worried about this colour. I am positive under good sunlight the paint will look great as its been mentioned on here before there is loads of colour travel depending on the light conditions on all the fe colours bar hethel yellow. Still worries me to be honest as does the seat hight and finish, 3rd to 4th gear change and the dealer support if something goes wrong with the car. They can't have any spares they don't have enough parts to build customer cars!!!

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I thought diamond cut and painted wheels are identical wheels. Only difference is diamond cut requires to be put on a lathe after painting for the "cut" to make the top surface shiny. They then all get the clear coat on top. So I am surprised that there are DC and black but no silver. Maybe my understanding above is incorrect.
You're correct they're all three using the same base wheel but finished differently. The issue is at the supplier.

bbpxbbpx

Reaction score
You're correct they're all three using the same base wheel but finished differently. The issue is at the supplier.
Meaning the supplier can supply black and DC, but not silver? They run out of silver paint perhaps? Or guesstimated most will close DC or black, which might actually be true although I am one of those that ordered silver.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's more complicated than that. See what you find online about recent situation at Rimstock.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the perfect partner.....

Those are reviews from 4 years ago too.. Lotus needs to make better decisions. There are countless wheel manufacturers out there making mass produced flow formed and fully forged wheels. I guess they were just being cheap instead of going with someone proven like BBS, Enkei, or OZ like every other manufacturer does? After spending $120m on the new factory, you'd think they could do something in-house too...

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Exactly lotus keep promising jam tomorrow but guess what no jam. Truth is they have no idea when your getting a car when they have full type approvaland all the parts to build plus the workforce available you may see something but as that is out of there control they can't say!!
Just be honest about it!!