First real-world photo of silver wheels

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I still worry a little that there may be a clash. But also happy to repaint them immediately if requires
Nimbus has a yellow/warm base (due to the added bronze/champagne) whereas the silver wheels look to have a blue/cold base. We really need to see them together on a car before passing final judgement.

Reactions: vdr

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Nimbus has a yellow/warm base (due to the added bronze/champagne) whereas the silver wheels look to have a blue/cold base. We really need to see them together on a car before passing final judgement.
We do definitely, they could look great.
I have Porsche satin platinum lined up in readiness though as required!

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's a quick hack. Not at all accurate as the wheels have incorrect perspective, but the colour combo should be quite representative of real life.

nimbus-silver.jpg

Last edited:

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Here's a quick hack. Not at all accurate as the wheels have incorrect perspective, but the colour combo should be quite accurate, representative of real life.

View attachment 7832
And that photoshop reflects my concern on the factory tour back in April when I commented that the satin silver finish (which I would describe as slightly "milky"?) felt rather generic, as compared to the DC and black wheels. Those of us on the tour that afternoon agreed the DC or black were appreciably better. Of course, IMHO.

EDIT: That factory tour also placed Nimbus second in my list of favourite colours (and simply the fact that my S2000 was (a less interesting) silver has meant magma red has been my colour of choice). Nimbus is a lovely colour!

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And that photoshop reflects my concern on the factory tour back in April when I commented that the satin silver finish (which I would describe as slightly "milky"?) felt rather generic, as compared to the DC and black wheels. Those of us on the tour that afternoon agreed the DC or black were appreciably better. Of course, IMHO.
The satin paint will make the silver look a bit more diffuse (or milky) given it will throw off a whitish sheen compared to gloss. The DC wheels are also satin, that's how the insides of the DC wheel look dark grey in the light when they're actually satin black.

Last edited:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
😁 Always loved satin platinum with any silver ❤️
Me too. I’ve seen a trend going to satin silver for something different, especially in the Porsche crowd where platinum silver is the default option on many models. Lotus seem to have followed.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Here's a quick hack. Not at all accurate as the wheels have incorrect perspective, but the colour combo should be quite accurate, representative of real life.

View attachment 7832
Think they look better than what I would envisage having looking at them on the DV car. Yes think the Porsche platinum will look much better IMO think these could of been better just something I’m not lovin about the silver. That’s why I went black as a safe bet but would of rather had like a anthracite as had so many black gloss wheels and think they’ve had their day now and black doesn’t show wheel design off to its very best

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Think they look better than what I would envisage having looking at them on the DV car. Yes think the Porsche platinum will look much better IMO think these could of been better just something I’m not lovin about the silver. That’s why I went black as a safe bet but would of rather had like a anthracite as had so many black gloss wheels and think they’ve had their day now and black doesn’t show wheel design off to its very best
You know what to do, sure we can get bulk respray discount 😅

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think that’s because of the reflection of the blue car next to it.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can see some of the sharpness in the edges of the wheel here that gets lost in the black wheels. I was afraid this wheel was too rounded on the spokes but I like it just fine.

5A100BCE-73C7-4D98-81B6-F4DB999E32B3.jpeg

If I wanted to change this up a bit I’d maybe media blast them down and give the aluminum a brushed look with a darker tinted clear like the following.

1659274476733.jpeg

Flashback

Reaction score
The nice thing about silver is it works as a base color for anything else you want to paint on top of it.
Exactly that.

I wasn't really sure what to go for between silver and DC so took silver as the easiest place to start from if I decide to change.

I've had loads of silver/grey cars with silver wheels and never disliked them, so hopefully this will be the same when we finally see Nimbus with silver 'in the flesh'.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Stewart at the Lotus Academy did mention the wheels on the Senaca Blue were diamond cut rather than black that the other cars were wearing on the 23rd July.

I don't like diamond cut from a maintenance perspective as they can look bad really quickly if the lacquer fails, there is also a limit on the number of skims permitted.

Silver is the simplest option, we just need some low dust pads the same as our MX5 has fitted.
20220723_081559.jpg

Diamond cut photo.