Evora GT vs Emira ?

I have driven both cars once but I have never owned either, yet. Unless you want a dedicated track car I believe the Emira is much better IMO. Aside from the obvious exterior looks and interior, visibility in the Emira is fantastic. Really as good as a sports sedan for visibility. However, TomE is right, it depends on what you are looking for.

It depends what you’re looking for and therefore what counts as “better”.

Evora GT (GT410 Sport in the UK) is a better drivers car. Emira is a better daily driver sportscar.

Emira is the first variant of a new model from a new factory. Evora GT is the last iteration of a car built for a decade.

Some more in my test drive post:

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/the-great-big-all-the-customer-test-drives-thread.2080/post-70657
Also as actual owner of Evora GT410 Sport, I second @TomE ´s opinion above 100%

If Lotus launched an Emira with a bit more power and revved higher, cut some weight using carbon fibre body panels swapped out the dash for analog dials, slightly narrower body and offered the option of +2 rear seats…

… I think one or two here might get a bit excited about that. Emira’s styling seems to be the main draw the fact that it drives like a slightly easier, more rounded Evora with better visibility is a side benefit. But those left wanting something a bit sharper, more responsive and more vocal (= more exciting) should definitely try an Evora, particularly a GT or GT410 Sport (in Europe). GT410 Sport (successor to the added lightness Evora Sport 410) was noticeably more connected and immediate than the 400 despite what appears very small differences on paper. Lotus actually dialled it down for the later GT410 as the GT410 Sport was a bit too Sport and not enough GT for some. Former Lotus boss Jean Marc Gales was on a mission to make all the cars lighter, firmer, racier, louder (and more expensive). GT410 Sport was the car that made his successor Phil Popham think he’d gone too far and so he introduced the GT410. Apologies to those that already know all this but those new to Lotus probably don’t. Obviously if styling is the priority then differences pretty irrelevant but for what it’s worth the later GT cars were the best looking Evoras for me and the carbon panels were really nicely done (by Prodrive who also supply McLaren and Aston Martin) and made the car more exotic and supercar like.

Right from the bottom of my heart.........
I truly doubt the Emira in the end will be as successfull as Lotus /Geely were expecting.......

Last edited:
If Lotus launched an Emira with a bit more power and revved higher, cut some weight using carbon fibre body panels swapped out the dash for analog dials, slightly narrower body and offered the option of +2 rear seats…

… I think one or two here might get a bit excited about that. Emira’s styling seems to be the main draw the fact that it drives like a slightly easier, more rounded Evora with better visibility is a side benefit. But those left wanting something a bit sharper, more responsive and more vocal (= more exciting) should definitely try an Evora, particularly a GT or GT410 Sport (in Europe). GT410 Sport (successor to the added lightness Evora Sport 410) was noticeably more connected and immediate than the 400 despite what appears very small differences on paper. Lotus actually dialled it down for the later GT410 as the GT410 Sport was a bit too Sport and not enough GT for some. Former Lotus boss Jean Marc Gales was on a mission to make all the cars lighter, firmer, racier, louder (and more expensive). GT410 Sport was the car that made his successor Phil Popham think he’d gone too far and so he introduced the GT410. Apologies to those that already know all this but those new to Lotus probably don’t. Obviously if styling is the priority then differences pretty irrelevant but for what it’s worth the later GT cars were the best looking Evoras for me and the carbon panels were really nicely done (by Prodrive who also supply McLaren and Aston Martin) and made the car more exotic and supercar like.
Thanks for sharing the history. I purchased the Evora GT because it was a bit too "Sport" and that characteristic made it special. It took me a few weeks to adjust to what it is, but now I love it and can't sell it.

after my test drive today... I want this...

Originally the ‘Sport’ badge was something equivalent to ‘RS’. It stood for Lotus Sport which later became Lotus Motorsport. Ultimate performance versions of the Esprit were the Sport 300 and later V8 Sport 350. The first supercharged Exige was the Sport 240 and so on. It then got a bit confusing when Lotus reinstated the Sport badge as something that sat beneath the Cup badge which was then the signifier for Lotus Motorsport versions. Then Lotus axed Lotus Motorsport which was run by bonafide race engineers and concerned only with track performance (big mistake but they were looking to attract a buyer and wanted to show they could take tough decisions) but the Cup badge was retained and last used on Elise Cup 250 and Exige Cup 430 Final Editions. I doubt we’ll ever see it on an Emira unfortunately and if we do it won’t be prepared by actual race engineers. Emira GT4 customer race cars have to happen as part of the GT4 regulations but won’t be road legal. Emira S is almost certainly on the cards but it will be interesting to see whether Lotus use GT, Sport or something completely new beyond that. Lotus Applied Performance perhaps. Emira LAP 450 anyone?

Owning and driving the Evora GT410 has more of a purposeful "weekend blaster" experience (especially with the carbon bucket seats in case of my GT430 Sport) where you don't mind the infotainment being close to non-existing and the AC controls being oldschool. Sure, many people said that it is the most compliant Lotus of the old days and the Evora was that if you compare it to Exige and Elise. But if we're honest it was still very raw and analog by todays standards.

And that is what I like about it, it is as close to the old school feel of the 80s/90s supercars as I could get while being relatively easy to own and run. Sure, there are other old school exotics but at a totally different price tag.

Driving around in it every day (work meeting, gym, visiting friends, shopping on the weekend) can be done but is by far not as pleasant and comfortable as with the Emira.
In my case, a big part of the reason why I didn't daily the Evora more were always the seats plus the sporty ride.

And I was hesitant taking it out in so/so conditions because of the Cup2 tires plus it being a special edition made me worry much more when parking it in public spaces. (Goodwood not counting 🫣😁)

AD7D31D6-165F-4448-8938-B5996A0500D9.jpeg

AB3DC00A-D8D1-49E9-AEDE-EB7B9A764018.jpeg
9A3BD940-3C87-4B7D-AED9-E49F57B501C2.jpeg

Of course the Emira is better. That’s why I’m buying one and have never wanted to own an Evora.

And since we’re on the topic…Coke or Pepsi?

You're right the naming was confusing! GT430 has a rear wing and front splitter so more downforce and can corner quicker but has a slightly lower top speed. GT430 Sport doesn't have that aero and so is slightly lighter and higher top speed. Non-Sport is faster round Hethel than the Sport and every other Lotus apart from track-spec 3-11, so you'd think the naming would be the other way round.

GT430 was developed first and the de-winged version was added based on initial feedback from prospective customers who wanted a less aggressive-looking version. But then more GT430s were sold than GT430 Sports. Both very rare.

The GT410 Sport came afterwards and drew on several elements of the GT430, including some carbon panels and the optional Ohlins adjustable suspension (standard on the GT430).

Of course the Emira is better. That’s why I’m buying one and have never wanted to own an Evora.

And since we’re on the topic…Coke or Pepsi?
Interested in your criteria and hence why you didn't want an Evora and do want an Emira.

I’m sure there were people who bought the Sapphire Cosworth that ‘never wanted’ a 3-door Sierra but we all knew how similar they were underneath which made any talk of one being better than the other look a bit silly.

Emira drives well because it has so much good stuff carried over from the Evora which remains from Evora 400 onwards the lighter and faster of the two cars.

Interested in your criteria and hence why you didn't want an Evora and do want an Emira.

1). I didn’t like the exterior looks of the Evora so there was no emotional impulse for me.

2) I took a new Evora for a test drive and the car broke down within ten minutes. Game over…LOL. Bad omen.

3) I thought the build quality of the Evora was poor. Some of the parts felt really cheap. Not a $100k car for me. ( the least expensive car I have owned in the last 20 years has been my Boxster, so that’s my reference. All of my cars have been German except for my Aston. )

I am taking a flyer on the Emira. I’ve taken a test drive. No major complaints. I am probably the 718/911/F type/C8 customer Lotus is aiming for and it has worked.