• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

EVAP system - charcoal canister issue

3A3968M

Reaction score
Following the delivery of my Emira the car is now at the dealer 3 days later with the resistor pack issue + CEL.
After the diagnosis, my service advisor informed me that the car’s charcoal canister must be replaced along with some other bits of the EVAP system. He mentioned that the raw fuel was found inside the charcoal canister after the initial diagnosis.
Given this is a Toyota sourced powerplant I hope they won’t have to wait weeks for the parts to arrive and can just get it from a Toyota dealer locally.
Has anyone else experienced this issue in their new Emirates?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Following the delivery of my Emira the car is now at the dealer 3 days later with the resistor pack issue + CEL.
After the diagnosis, my service advisor informed me that the car’s charcoal canister must be replaced along with some other bits of the EVAP system. He mentioned that the raw fuel was found inside the charcoal canister after the initial diagnosis.
Given this is a Toyota sourced powerplant I hope they won’t have to wait weeks for the parts to arrive and can just get it from a Toyota dealer locally.
Has anyone else experienced this issue in their new Emirates?
I’ve heard of this issue in a couple other cars, in one instance Lotus replaced a bunch of stuff including the gas tank in what seems like a parts canon attempt at fixing the issue. This EVAP system is the same as the Evora system according to the EPA submission but I don’t think it’s provided by Toyota.

Was yours presenting with a p0456 code?

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
#
I’ve heard of this issue in a couple other cars, in one instance Lotus replaced a bunch of stuff including the gas tank in what seems like a parts canon attempt at fixing the issue. This EVAP system is the same as the Evora system according to the EPA submission but I don’t think it’s provided by Toyota.

Was yours presenting with a p0456 code?
I’m not sure about the code it presented. I will ask my service advisor.

tnbuilder

Reaction score
Mine was in for the resistor pack and for a CEL. They thought it was something in the EVAP system. They have dropped the tank to check wiring, smoked the Evap lines for leaks, and finally resolved it to the EVAP pressure sensor, which apparently is on backorder. Waiting on that to get fixed to finally get my car back. So the sensor may be something to watch for.

Update...sensor should be in Monday, so hopefully Tues/Wed I can get the car back. I will try to get as much info as I can so maybe it can help others. Now over 30 days without the car.

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In my experience, this is typically a result of overfilling the gas tank. It may literally have been a well-meaning dealer employee who wanted to give you an extra-full tank on delivery.

Unlike some of the major OEMs, Lotus doesn't have a team of 500 engineers working out every edge case and building mechanical defenses against them. So if you fill up the fuel far enough for the filler neck to have fuel in it, it might also be filling the breather tubes above the tank on the other side.

For myself, I'm going to be respecting that first click of the gas pump and calling it good, rather than doing the two or three click "for good measure" routine.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No updates or ETA…
I will call the dealer early next week.
I am hearing a backlog on those parts and I will know more tomorrow, but it might be June. In that case, I am picking up my car so I can enjoy it. They ordered the HVAC parts and those were in stock so hope to have that fixed this week. Can't drive in NC without A/C. Once that is fixed I will go get it and they can call me when the EVAP parts are in. I am not letting it sit there a month more. I will post details on expect EVAP ETA once I talk to the dealer tomorrow.

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
I will find out more tomorrow, if the EVAP issue gets into a month long delay I’m taking my car back to enjoy it with a CEL until the parts are in.

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
I called the service department and was told they are waiting on Lotus to provide them with an ETA for the charcoal canister. I will update as I hear more from the dealer.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I called the service department and was told they are waiting on Lotus to provide them with an ETA for the charcoal canister. I will update as I hear more from the dealer.
Talked to my dealer today as well and he said parts should be arriving in June to replace/fix.

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
Argh, I’m not looking forward to that conversation with my SA.
If they won’t release the car until the parts are in I will have “lemon law”hover over my mind…

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
Got an update from my SA.
The pressure valve has arrived, there is no word on the charcoal canister yet. I’m hoping to hear about it today/tomorrow. If it’s confirmed that the canister is on a back order I will take the car back and bring it back when the parts arrive.

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
Still no update on the charcoal canister. I was advised by the SA if I pickup the car do not drive it as the fuel in the canister presents a fire hazard. I wonder if I do pick it up will they have me sign any form of a disclaimer.
TBH, it’s been quite a frustrating experience so far…

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Still no update on the charcoal canister. I was advised by the SA if I pickup the car do not drive it as the fuel in the canister presents a fire hazard. I wonder if I do pick it up will they have me sign any form of a disclaimer.
Yeah, I don't buy the fire hazard part....but I am not a mechanic. I know this is frustrating!

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't understand why they wouldn't just pour it out. It's a plastic box, not a magical unknowable void. It's not Schrodinger's Charcoal Canister.

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
I don't understand why they wouldn't just pour it out. It's a plastic box, not a magical unknowable void. It's not Schrodinger's Charcoal Canister.
I guess their concern that it happens again after a fill up

OP
3A3968M

3A3968M

Reaction score
Got a call from the dealership - the canister has been shipped from the UK, it might take up to two weeks to get it here and installed. Fingers crossed I’ll have my car back before the summer is over….

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess their concern that it happens again after a fill up
It's not the canister's fault. If there's a check valve problem on the tank, that's a problem there, not with the charcoal can. They'll need to replace it if it got saturated, but that shouldn't prevent you from driving the car in the meantime unless they don't have a way to get the gas out of it.