Emira Reveal/Lotus of Austin

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
After digesting most every article, video and forum post I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see the Emira at Lotus of Austin today. Kudos to the entire team there/shout out to Marketing. Nothing does justice like an in-person viewing. The Emira has a nice athletic stance (and suggestive pounce). Door levers easily operated, ingress and egress was simple enough, seats were supportive and comfortable with plenty of interior space for the perhaps average bloke. Nice expansive forward view. It had a cockpit feel without feeling oppressive. It's lower and wider than photos suggest. The v6 engine has a nice rumble until it explosively revs. Tailights are beautifully 3D sculpted. Shadow grey is mostly charcoal and looks quite dark in dim lighting. Many photos have been posted from other sources yet here are a few.
Emira view  2021-11-24 Lotus of Austin Emira Reveal 044 (2).jpg
Emira View  2021-11-24 Lotus of Austin Emira Reveal 138 (2).jpg
Emira view 2021-11-24 Lotus of Austin Emira Reveal 124 (2).jpg
Emira V6 view  2021-11-24 Lotus of Austin Emira Reveal 057.jpg

'

Last edited:
How did I miss this? I live about a mile from the dealer, I have a deposit, I was told about this about a month ago, I was glad that we delayed the elective birth of my second child till monday (Just kidding, we did by doctor's advice), because I wanted to see it! Then, I go home early, lay down on the couch and forget about it until 8:30 in the evening!
do we know how long it is going to be there? or where will it be next?

Wow! At this point just be happy about the second child.

The car is going to Florida next.

After digesting most every article, video and forum post I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see the Emira at Lotus of Austin today. Kudos to the entire team there/shout out to Marketing. Nothing does justice like an in-person viewing. The Emira has a nice athletic stance (and suggestive pounce). Door levers easily operated, ingress and egress was simple enough, seats were supportive and comfortable with plenty of interior space for the perhaps average bloke. Nice expansive forward view. It had a cockpit feel without feeling oppressive. It's lower and wider than photos suggest. The v6 engine has a nice rumble until it explosively revs. Tailights are beautifully 3D sculpted. Shadow grey is mostly charcoal and looks quite dark in dim lighting. Many photos have been posted from other sources yet here are a few.
Thanks for your thoughts, particularly about the size and stance of the car. Very helpful for those of us who aren't able to see it before ordering!

I am. I was just disappointed that I forgot. I can wait to see it, I just wanted to see the proportions of the car. For me it is a toss up between the emira and a 570 S/GT. If the Emira looks like an MR2 or a Fiero, I might have to cancel it.

I am. I was just disappointed that I forgot. I can wait to see it, I just wanted to see the proportions of the car. For me it is a toss up between the emira and a 570 S/GT. If the Emira looks like an MR2 or a Fiero, I might have to cancel it.
The Fiero! Yes. I’m still in if it’s even close! :)

I drove down from Dallas to view it as well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so take this with a grain of salt. The Emira is one of the most striking cars I’ve seen in recent memory - probably since the 458 Italia or 720S. There are no awkward lines/viewing angles. I find the newer ‘exotics’ to be overstyled.

Comparing it to a 570 is difficult - I find the 570 to be awkward looking at certain angles with questionable styling, especially around back. The interior will be much nicer that the Emira and the performance will obviously blow it away as well.

As for refefences to the 718 - the Emira seemed larger, especially inside. I don’t fit in a Cayman (headroom) or C7 Corvette (leg room), but I fit just fine in the Emira. I couldn’t drive an Evora 400 with a helmet on, but I‘m pretty sure I’ll be able to in the Emira.

This will by 3rd Lotus - I’m buying it for the expected analog feel, driving dynamics, and looks. It’s the same reason I bought a Giulia QV vs C63/M3. It’s not the fastest, it’s got questionable reliability/dealer network, and it has a subpar interior. However, it’s oddly analog driving dynamic and I think it looks fantastic, even 5 years after it’s release.

I drove down from Dallas to view it as well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so take this with a grain of salt. The Emira is one of the most striking cars I’ve seen in recent memory - probably since the 458 Italia or 720S. There are no awkward lines/viewing angles. I find the newer ‘exotics’ to be overstyled.

Comparing it to a 570 is difficult - I find the 570 to be awkward looking at certain angles with questionable styling, especially around back. The interior will be much nicer that the Emira and the performance will obviously blow it away as well.

As for refefences to the 718 - the Emira seemed larger, especially inside. I don’t fit in a Cayman (headroom) or C7 Corvette (leg room), but I fit just fine in the Emira. I couldn’t drive an Evora 400 with a helmet on, but I‘m pretty sure I’ll be able to in the Emira.

This will by 3rd Lotus - I’m buying it for the expected analog feel, driving dynamics, and looks. It’s the same reason I bought a Giulia QV vs C63/M3. It’s not the fastest, it’s got questionable reliability/dealer network, and it has a subpar interior. However, it’s oddly analog driving dynamic and I think it looks fantastic, even 5 years after it’s release.
How tall are you? Getting a helmet on inside a Cayman is definitely an issue for anyone taller than 6' - is the Emira headroom better?

How tall are you? Getting a helmet on inside a Cayman is definitely an issue for anyone taller than 6' - is the Emira headroom better?
I’m 6’5” with a 36” inseam. I had a few inches in the Emira and I’m not certain the seat was at it’s lowest point. Even if it was, with the preproduction seat being about 1” taller than the production model, I should be ok.

That all sounds awesome. I want the Emira to win so badly. The 570 looks are good for me, the performance is fantastic. I don’t mind the Emira performance, it is not about the numbers with this one, but I don’t like the 718, neither its size. Hopefully I will get another encounter when the first production run starts.

It was great to finally see the Emira in person! This car sure has some serious presence! I was able to sit in the car and it felt very comfortable. I can definitely see where this would make a good fun daily driver.

lotus-emira-austin.jpeg

The exhaust note was incredible!

I was impressed by the exhaust note as well! I was outside when they first started revving it and I thought they had started up a Huracan or something! I'm 6'1 and the interior seemed very spacious compared to other Lotus I've been in. The driver's seat was all the way back and I needed to scoot it forward a good bit just to feel like I was in the right driving position.

Brilliant video! So good to see a tall person get in and out of the car… sets my mind at ease.

Also confirms two things for me:
  • I wish they hadn’t done those bonnet cut-outs. Would look so much smoother without them.
  • You would be nuts *not* to get the manual. That gearshift and the look and feel of rowing through the gears… awesome.