• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Forum Previous Car History - What automotive brand are you coming from?

Please choose what you are currently driving or replacing with an Emira

• Audi

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Aston Martin

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Porsche

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Corvette

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Ford

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Jaguar/Land Rover

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Alfa Romeo

• Alpine

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Ferrari

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Lamborghini

• VW

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Lotus

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Mclaren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ; specify in thread

• Toyota

• Mazda

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Chrysler (jeep, Dodge)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Tesla

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Renault

• Peugeot

• Honda

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Nissan

• Total voters

James DG

Reaction score
I'll miss this when the time comes to trade it in. End of January I'm told.
ExigeFR2.png

Last edited:

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I am not replacing anything with the Emira. It will be my first "spare" car since I was about 19. I have had company cars since then and never had the spare cas for a plaything. My wifes car was always the fun car, string of Saab Turbo's then BMW 335i M235i. Never had a proper "sports car" but always intended to get a Porsche. Lotus Emira headed me off at the pass.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Buying an Emira because I love the looks. I considered an Evora a few years ago but didnt like the looks and car quite enough. When I saw the Emira announcement/press I wanted it immediately. Probably get 'fun' cars for how they look first.
Have had (what I think) some lovely looking fun cars: 73 Vette, 91 NSX, 93 RX7, 93 MR2, and currently have a 240z and a 911. Dont plan on selling either of those.

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What I have learned from the poll - BMW guys are number 1 converts to Lotus... and Mclaren and Alpine owners are not.

Also rather surprised that there wasn't more US guys coming from corvette's... Different demographic I guess. Would have thought more being no manual in a C8.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I'd say BMW drivers are missing the older M Car feeling. New ones are bigger, heavier and, to my eyes, aesthetically very disappointing . Unless you buy (not so cheap) E46/E36 there are not many BMW options and those bring age and problems with them.

Zardoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'd say BMW drivers are missing the older M Car feeling. New ones are bigger, heavier and, to my eyes, aesthetically very disappointing . Unless you buy (not so cheap) E46/E36 there are not many BMW options and those bring age and problems with them.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
They may be old, but have zero problems. What is really missing in new cars is analog feel, A new Emira should rectify that

Attachments

• C34FE209-1B1E-498B-96BB-6BC6DCD9D105.jpeg
    C34FE209-1B1E-498B-96BB-6BC6DCD9D105.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 50

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Hey, I resemble that remark!
They may be old, but have zero problems. What is really missing in new cars is analog feel, A new Emira should rectify that
Sell me the 1M please

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
What I have learned from the poll - BMW guys are number 1 converts to Lotus... and Mclaren and Alpine owners are not.

Also rather surprised that there wasn't more US guys coming from corvette's... Different demographic I guess. Would have thought more being no manual in a C8.
That's like a Corvette guy switching to Porsche - not more than a trickle, I'd guess. I've owned two Corvettes over a span of 34 years and found that to a vast majority of owners, Corvettes can do no wrong. Fierce loyalty is an understatement.

apos4822

Reaction score
BMW 330e.jpg

BMW435i 01.jpg
BMW435i 21.jpg

My wife and I seem to have become BMW enthusiasts and definitely feel that their golden days are behind them - both in driving dynamics and design. The new M3 6MT feels like a blunt hammer, not to my taste even if it's stupid fast. The 2023 330e we just picked up makes for a lovely daily driver hybrid with very high fuel and electric economy. But it is no longer a sports sedan. If anything, BMW is doing an incredible Lexus impersonation (with some fun opportunities to tune the turbo engine after it breaks in).
I'm right on the fence as of this writing. I spent months finding a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 or Spyder and almost bought one yesterday and somehow remembered that Lotus exists (no social media ads or anything of the sort ever crossed my feed). So I discovered the Emira, started doing mental cartwheels, and got the paperwork to put down my deposit. I must admit though that I still have a craving for power coming from these tuned BMWs and considering a Porsche GT car, so I'm hoping a street-legal Emira GT does show up by the time it's my turn to configure my car for assembly (or aftermarket tuners have figured the platform out). Both the Porsche 718 GT4 and Emira seem to suffer from a not-entirely-perfect mating between engine and 6MT gearbox, though the Porsche appears to win over reviewers in terms of precision and feel, though it benefits greatly from an upgrade to flywheel, clutch and gear ratios (about USD $15k all-in at Shark Werks or DeMan Motorsport).
What compels me to go the Emira route is that the car is absolutely GORGEOUS. Icing on the cake - it has been configured as "correctly" as possible from the get-go with excellent passive components, requiring fewer electronic aids throughout which hopefully means great longevity and cost-efficient servicing as a "lifer" enthusiast car. I have so many other thoughts, but I'll keep it here for now.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
View attachment 21425
View attachment 21427View attachment 21428

My wife and I seem to have become BMW enthusiasts and definitely feel that their golden days are behind them - both in driving dynamics and design. The new M3 6MT feels like a blunt hammer, not to my taste even if it's stupid fast. The 2023 330e we just picked up makes for a lovely daily driver hybrid with very high fuel and electric economy. But it is no longer a sports sedan. If anything, BMW is doing an incredible Lexus impersonation (with some fun opportunities to tune the turbo engine after it breaks in).
I'm right on the fence as of this writing. I spent months finding a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 or Spyder and almost bought one yesterday and somehow remembered that Lotus exists (no social media ads or anything of the sort ever crossed my feed). So I discovered the Emira, started doing mental cartwheels, and got the paperwork to put down my deposit. I must admit though that I still have a craving for power coming from these tuned BMWs and considering a Porsche GT car, so I'm hoping a street-legal Emira GT does show up by the time it's my turn to configure my car for assembly (or aftermarket tuners have figured the platform out). Both the Porsche 718 GT4 and Emira seem to suffer from a not-entirely-perfect mating between engine and 6MT gearbox, though the Porsche appears to win over reviewers in terms of precision and feel, though it benefits greatly from an upgrade to flywheel, clutch and gear ratios (about USD $15k all-in at Shark Werks or DeMan Motorsport).
What compels me to go the Emira route is that the car is absolutely GORGEOUS. Icing on the cake - it has been configured as "correctly" as possible from the get-go with excellent passive components, requiring fewer electronic aids throughout which hopefully means great longevity and cost-efficient servicing as a "lifer" enthusiast car. I have so many other thoughts, but I'll keep it here for now.
Great first post and welcome to the forum! Congratulations for putting down an Emira deposit!

Lineofcontrol

Reaction score
Always been a car guy...a few highlights...

1999 Subaru P1 when I lived in the UK
Moved to Canada: 2006 Subaru STi (Hawkeye), then Time attack prepped 2013 Focus ST (with full Colin McCrae WRC tribute wrap)
Currently: 400 Hp 450lb/ft 2018 Nitrous Blue Focus RS and a 2017 Meteor Gray Miata RF
(barely anything stock on either of them!)

Attachments

• Focus ST.jpg
    Focus ST.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 17
  • Focus Track.jpg
    Focus Track.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Focus RS.jpg
    Focus RS.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 16

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira won't be a direct replacement for any one current car for me. I have had a mixed collection of cars previously, from a Nissan Primera GT (my second ever car, which I bought due to the 90's touring car connection), to a Porsche 911 (996 C2 Cabriolet).

Have had a mix of sensible(ish) family cars - Audi A6, A8, Q7, Cupra Ateca - To stuff on the more fun end of the spectrum - Porsche 996, Mk3 Focus RS (one of the first in the UK, incidentally), Abarth 124 Spider - Plus some stripped-out and fettled fun track cars - Mk2 Toyota MR2, Mazda RX-8 R3 - Plus a few others.

I have had a few forgettable cars along the way too - Qashqai (Couldn't get rid of that car quick enough! So boring, way underpowered, and several annoying design flaws), Fiesta (needed something cheap and small at the time), plus one huge mistake in a Chrysler Grand Voyager (amazingly versatile interior, but terminal engine issues that persisted through the entire time I owned it).

For me the Emira just seems to hit that sweet spot of something that looks incredible, enough tech and luxury so that it won't feel like a commitment to drive every time, and well priced in the market.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I’ve always wanted to drive an Alpine. I hear good things but we don’t get them where I live. Wonder if I can import it in pieces and title it as a custom Kit? Anyone done something like that before?