Drive in procedures-contradiction in messages

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As I'm picking up the car tomorrow,I had the pre collection call yesterday and was told to "keep the car up to half throttle/acceleration" for the first 1000 miles,as expected and I believe as to the manual.

However ,I was also told by other Lotus colleagues and enthusiasts that the occasional "blip" and using the full range of the rpm range is actually beneficial, I believe Harry's garage also mentioned the same.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I don't imagine thrashing or from day one is any good,but I also doubt that constant low revs for the first 1000 miles could be that great for it either.

Covered here:

As I'm picking up the car tomorrow,I had the pre collection call yesterday and was told to "keep the car up to half throttle/acceleration" for the first 1000 miles,as expected and I believe as to the manual.

However ,I was also told by other Lotus colleagues and enthusiasts that the occasional "blip" and using the full range of the rpm range is actually beneficial, I believe Harry's garage also mentioned the same.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I don't imagine thrashing or from day one is any good,but I also doubt that constant low revs for the first 1000 miles could be that great for it either.
Speaking as an old timer, I think it's beneficial to get more aggressive as the car breaks in, say, after a few hundred miles. That doesn't mean redlining it, just gradually applying more power as part of the process.. I know it sounds weird, but I believe the break-in period sets the character of the engine for its service life.

Back