• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Door seal imperfections

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The trim tools I used were the same ones you could use for radio replacement, just various size and shape plastic things. Just took a flat one under the rubber to unhook it. And yeah the massaging was basically just using a bit of pressure to push it into all the corners like you would with a carpet.
Or readjusting he door rubber ..lets say it wasn't installed perfectly, I would undo a section and flatten it out make it fit better or in corners if it was short,, use hand and hit it into corner for tighter fit. a I'm not too good at explaining in words.. Would take literally 15 seconds to show someone how to finesse everything and get a perfect fitment.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Or readjusting he door rubber ..lets say it wasn't installed perfectly, I would undo a section and flatten it out make it fit better or in corners if it was short,, use hand and hit it into corner for tighter fit. a I'm not too good at explaining in words.. Would take literally 15 seconds to show someone how to finesse everything and get a perfect fitment.
Create a YouTube video and tag lotus in it for them to learn! 😀

Lolub

Reaction score
Wow, such excellent and helpful posts on the tools and techniques, thank you so much everyone! 👏👏🫂

Lolub

Reaction score
This sucks, hope they find a solution
Man, this is making me really nervous, something I've not felt before about getting the Emira... 😟 Should I be worried? Is this the start of many other issues, which could start small but then grow big? Like I'm wondering if the whole seal around the door could unravel at some point... 😳🤷😵

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Man, this is making me really nervous, something I've not felt before about getting the Emira... 😟 Should I be worried? Is this the start of many other issues, which could start small but then grow big? Like I'm wondering if the whole seal around the door could unravel at some point... 😳🤷😵
Ah man? get a life its a rubber seal, what is up with you all! PS pink fluff, really

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Normally those rubber settle in over time by the way. Just fiddle around a bit with them, a bit heat might help as well. Or just try to readjust them. It’s really a non issue, but would be nice if fitted perfect in the first place.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Normally those rubber settle in over time by the way. Just fiddle around a bit with them, a bit heat might help as well. Or just try to readjust them. It’s really a non issue, but would be nice if fitted perfect in the first place.
And that’s the thing, why couldn’t they be fitted first time correctly.

Lolub

Reaction score
Lol seems so 🙏
I totally agree with you, and why shouldn't we? It's not chump change, and a door seal to me is a basic thing to get right. Even the most economic cars on the market, such as Corollas and Civics, have a perfect door seal.👍

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you, and why shouldn't we? It's not chump change, and a door seal to me is a basic thing to get right. Even the most economic cars on the market, such as Corollas and Civics, have a perfect door seal.👍

There will always be seemingly simple things that are a struggle for a smaller "boutique" manufacturer when compared to the multi billion dollar giants like Toyota and Honda. Lotus just doesn't have the resources, experience, suppliers, R&D, or quality control to make everything to the same standards as these bigger companies.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
There will always be seemingly simple things that are a struggle for a smaller "boutique" manufacturer when compared to the multi billion dollar giants like Toyota and Honda. Lotus just doesn't have the resources, experience, suppliers, R&D, or quality control to make everything to the same standards as these bigger companies.
I’m sorry but I don’t buy that excuse. It’s a repetitive job sure but with repetition comes experience and inherent quality. maybe the build time per station has been shortened and therefore there’s more to do and less time to check quality at each station. However we don’t know how many are experiencing problems compared to ones fitted correctly, so don’t have a quality ratio.

Last edited:

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Never happen..

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m sorry but I don’t buy that excuse. It’s a repetitive job sure but with repetition comes experience and inherent quality. maybe the build time per station has been shortened and therefore there’s more to do and less time to check quality at each station. However we don’t know how many are experiencing problems compared to ones fitted correctly, so don’t have a quality ratio.
I agree. Lotus have made big investments in a new factory and said many times that getting quality right is paramount. They’ve said some of the delays are because they didn’t want to let a sub-standard car leave the factory.

Whilst a visibly-wrong door seal may seem a minor (and easily sorted) issue, it is evidence that Lotus haven’t got built quality or quality control right yet.

Fitting a door seal correctly on a largely hand-built car depends on supplier product quality, tools and training. Checking it’s been fitted correctly is a fairly simple QA step, provided someone has identified it as something that should be done to a specific quality standard.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. Lotus have made big investments in a new factory and said many times that getting quality right is paramount. They’ve said some of the delays are because they didn’t want to let a sub-standard car leave the factory.

Whilst a visibly-wrong door seal may seem a minor (and easily sorted) issue, it is evidence that Lotus haven’t got built quality or quality control right yet.

Fitting a door seal correctly on a largely hand-built car depends on supplier product quality, tools and training. Checking it’s been fitted correctly is a fairly simple QA step, provided someone has identified it as something that should be done to a specific quality standard.

It doesn't help these cars are being built by a mostly young and inexperienced crew. The majority of the factory workers are new hires, no?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's not quite right. Yes they've had to hire extra manufacturing staff, to go from 1500-2000 cars per year to 5000+, but they still have most of the previous workforce who are experienced at producing hand-built cars. The new hires include some young and less experienced people but also a lot of experienced hires from other local industries.

I think training (which they've also invested heavily in) and hiring people with a quality mindset will be important factors too. There's certainly a buzz and a positive can-do atmosphere at the factory. We need to see that being translated into fewer issues on the January deliveries.