Creaking noise

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have had my V6 auto for 2 months now and am just over 2,000 miles. I noticed in the first week that there was a creaking noise when low speed manoeuvring for example parking on my drive, which I reverse onto and is on an upward slope. It is also noticeable at low speeds in car parks, but is drowned out (I assume) by engine and road noise whilst driving. The creaking did seem to improve and seemed to go away, so I put it down to 'bedding in'.

Unfortunately, the creaking is back and is worse (since the hot weather started recently). I don't think it is the steering as moving lock to lock when stationery does not seem to cause it.

It is difficult to identify where the noise is coming from, but it seems to be more from the front of the car I think.

The noise is very disconcerting, it sound like an old boat that has been out at sea for too long, creaking and groaning (a bit like its owner!)

I have spoken to my local service centre and they haven't come across this before and I am waiting to hear back from them to advise when they will be able to have a look.
Has anyone else come across this type of problem?

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There definitely is a sound on full lock, especially if you press it into the lock. Additionally I had something that sounded like a creak from the dash that turned out to be a stone that managed to fit itself nicely into one front tyre and made a sound while slow turning (mostly noticeable in reverse)

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have had my V6 auto for 2 months now and am just over 2,000 miles. I noticed in the first week that there was a creaking noise when low speed manoeuvring for example parking on my drive, which I reverse onto and is on an upward slope. It is also noticeable at low speeds in car parks, but is drowned out (I assume) by engine and road noise whilst driving. The creaking did seem to improve and seemed to go away, so I put it down to 'bedding in'.

Unfortunately, the creaking is back and is worse (since the hot weather started recently). I don't think it is the steering as moving lock to lock when stationery does not seem to cause it.

It is difficult to identify where the noise is coming from, but it seems to be more from the front of the car I think.

The noise is very disconcerting, it sound like an old boat that has been out at sea for too long, creaking and groaning (a bit like its owner!)

I have spoken to my local service centre and they haven't come across this before and I am waiting to hear back from them to advise when they will be able to have a look.
Has anyone else come across this type of problem?
ARB bushes?

Pro-Eng

Reaction score
There was a similar issue reported and eventually traced to the undertray moving relative to the chassis. It was fixed by adding additional rivets, so unlikely to be the same problem again unless the hot weather exacerbates the issue which is a possibility due to higher thermal expansion/ contraction. Certainly the manoeuvre you are describing would put torsional flex into the chassis so it might be worth asking the question of a dealer.

OP
J

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There was a similar issue reported and eventually traced to the undertray moving relative to the chassis. It was fixed by adding additional rivets, so unlikely to be the same problem again unless the hot weather exacerbates the issue which is a possibility due to higher thermal expansion/ contraction. Certainly the manoeuvre you are describing would put torsional flex into the chassis so it might be worth asking the question of a dealer.
I was wondering about this, I remember reading about this on an early car, I am thinking it was one of the European deliveries. Could be that some rivets were missed or not properly installed and it does make sense as an explanation when you hear the sound as it is creaking rather than any type of knocking or rubbing. I am fairly sure it is worse the warmer it is, so this would also perhaps give weight to the undertay theory with expansion.
I did try today pushing down against the front suspension on each side. I was quite surprised how stiff the suspension is (mine is tour) compared to a normal car, but I did hear some creaking when doing this, but not very loud.
I can't determine if there is any creaking whilst driving, I think I have noticed it a bit, but the general road/tyre nosie and the engine make it difficult to determine.
Hopefully will hear back from my local service centre tomorrow to see when they can have a look.
I will keep this topic updated as and when I have more info.

Ftype

Reaction score
Glue and rivets suffering in the hot weather probably

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, I think we have the same issue...not linked to acceleration, braking or suspension, but usually slow speed manouevering. I will get ours checked out at the same time as our EMS warning light.

OP
J

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The earliest that my local Lotus Service Centre can look at my car is mid-August, so my plan is to call Lotus Assistance to get them to come and diagnose what is wrong rather than me be driving it for the next 2 months and causing any unecessary damage whilst I wait for it to be looked at. Will post an update later in the week when I know more.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The earliest that my local Lotus Service Centre can look at my car is mid-August, so my plan is to call Lotus Assistance to get them to come and diagnose what is wrong rather than me be driving it for the next 2 months and causing any unecessary damage whilst I wait for it to be looked at. Will post an update later in the week when I know more.
I wonder why the Service Centre is so busy? Most Lotus owners will be driving them, not servicing them at the moment.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I wonder why the Service Centre is so busy? Most Lotus owners will be driving them, not servicing them at the moment.
Service centres are interested in making money not sitting on the phone to Lotus HQ waiting for parts or fix information.

OP
J

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not enough hands on spanners seems to be the problem. When I had my Evora, it was the same with usually 8 weeks lead time for faults/repairs and servicing in my experience. They are no doubt busy with older Lotus models and the other sports car brands that they sell. It isn't too bad if you have a wait for servicing as you can plan around it, but it is very frustrating when you have to wait so long for fault diagnosis. My Evora was off the road for weeks at a time waiting to be seen.
For whatever reason, they obviously choose to run the business in this way and if Oakmere, Northwich is your local service centre, with no others nearby you have to put up with it. Not great for the brand, but I very much doubt that Lotus will be remotely interested. It is the biggest drawback of Lotus ownership for me.
The people that work there are great, always friendly and as helpful as they can be with what appears to be the limited resources at their disposal.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
John,
Oakmere is my "local" service centre, albeit 40-odd miles away. JCT600 in Bradford is the next nearest. My Elise has been to a dealer service once in all the time I've owned it, from new. It gets serviced by an independent in Accrington and I suspect my Emira will, too! I'm not sure what the warranty conditions state though ...

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Breakdowns, warranty repairs, waiting for parts, software downloads can take upto 8 hours. PDI’s going on new cars as a priority of course. I’ve been waiting for a couple of months for parts to finally arrive. I bet the service centres are not short of any work.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine sounded more metallic on right hand full lock. Sounds like something hitting the under tray.
I get this on full lock in either direction so I usually back off lock a little. I remember reading somewhere on this forum a while back that it is normal, there's even a name for it but I forget, it happens on the Evora too. But maybe this is something else?

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I get this on full lock in either direction so I usually back off lock a little. I remember reading somewhere on this forum a while back that it is normal, there's even a name for it but I forget, it happens on the Evora too. But maybe this is something else?
Definitely something else, it sounds metallic. What you’re describing is called the Ackerman effect. I had it on my previous Porsche, which is normal.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Definitely something else, it sounds metallic. What you’re describing is called the Ackerman effect. I had it on my previous Porsche, which is normal.
thanks, you're right, I'm just getting a Ackerman effect not what you are describing.

Toby L

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
My car also creeks/cracks upon hitting the breaks, going over medium bumps and steering lock in car parks.
Also terrible noise at full lock, diagnosed as failed steering pump.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just to update on my EMS amber light...I rang Caffyns who told me to put it on trickle charger for a day or two to see if it made a difference...it did...no more engine management light!

Last edited: