• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Could Somebody With a Car Please Measure a Dimension for Me?

73JPS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I need to know how low I have to make a cut out in the drywall of my narrow garage. From ground level to the bottom of the door at its rear edge. Thanks to anyone who can supply a measurement!

IMG_1059.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
73JPS

73JPS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
OK then I won’t ask my next question about the tyre pressure!
“Not negligently flat” 😜

Imma fire up the chainsaw as soon as someone can get me a number 😈

OP
73JPS

73JPS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The problem is my garage is only 10 feet wide, and I have a single post lift installed which biases the vehicles close to the outside wall. I put up the drywall years ago to cover up the ugly cinder block wall, and that was fine until I installed the lift.

I just made the black cutout in the wall today in anticipation of my pending delivery. My dimension question pertains to whether or not I should further remove the 2x4 and its drywall at the bottom of the cutout. It seems to me that the bottom of the drivers door protrudes out just as much as the top, so I think I gotta get hacking. The black in the cutout is 1/2” foam to pad the wall and allow the door to swing out about 2” further without damaging it. Still have to be gentle though, of course…

IMG_1060.jpeg

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The top and bottom of the doors aren't that far out. I can't verify now, but if I recall correctly, the "crease" just under the rear air intake protudes the most. The sharp pointed part would hit the black foam before the bottom of the door gets close to the 2x4.

OP
73JPS

73JPS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The top and bottom of the doors aren't that far out. I can't verify now, but if I recall correctly, the "crease" just under the rear air intake protudes the most. The sharp pointed part would hit the black foam before the bottom of the door gets close to the 2x4.
Good point, thanks!

I was contemplating what part of the door is out furthest in relief. It’s very difficult to discern if the outermost portion (as you say it’s the center of this door) would stick out 2” further than the bottom…

IMG_1061.jpeg

Barcino2012

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Good point, thanks!

I was contemplating what part of the door is out furthest in relief. It’s very difficult to discern if the outermost portion (as you say it’s the center of this door) would stick out 2” further than the bottom…

View attachment 38816
Actually the bottom sticks out about 1/2” more, it is the outermost part of the door……the magic of illusion……

OP
73JPS

73JPS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Actually the bottom sticks out about 1/2” more, it is the outermost part of the door……the magic of illusion……
Yeah, light is fascinating stuff! Thanks for that information: time to fire up the chainsaw, then, and get rid of the bottom frame of that cutout!

Vroom vroom… 🥽🛠️🪚

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes the bottom is definitely wider (by about 2-3 cm) as shown in these less than scientific measurements
20240314_115943.jpg

Attachments

• 20240314_120006.jpg
    20240314_120006.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8