Could I purchase a used Emira from Europe and just have it shipped over to USA?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am sure there is some sort of catch.

But,
As someone in USA: Could I just buy a used Emira from somewhere where the steering wheel is on the left side (ie Germany, France, Italy, and Spain.) and have the car shipped to me?

There has to be a catch, right?

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just wait for them to hit the states.....plenty will be fore sale.

To answer your questions, YES you can! However it will not be allowed on public roads or be able to be registered.

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh, I guess even Tom Cruises character had issues:

"In Los Angeles, Charlie Babbit (Cruise), a driven salesman, learns that a shipment of four Lamborghini sports cars, which are to be delivered to the customers to whom he has sold them, are being held up in port because they do not meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions standards."

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I mean you could.. you'd have to garage it for like 25 years and wait for the import laws to expire... but if you are cool with a 25 year wait.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just wait for them to hit the states.....plenty will be fore sale.

To answer your questions, YES you can! However it will not be allowed on public roads or be able to be registered.
Aaahhhh, maybe. Import it as a race car then “modify it for road use”. They closed the Vermont mail in loophole so you’ll need to know someone with a physical address there. You’ll be able to drive in any state except Vermont.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Aaahhhh, maybe. Import it as a race car then “modify it for road use”. They closed the Vermont mail in loophole so you’ll need to know someone with a physical address there. You’ll be able to drive in any state except Vermont.
That's not a thing. You're talking about a car with a VIN. No state is going to let you pretend it's a kit car (or non road race car) and issue you a "homebuilt" kit VIN for it.

Plus the process to import and federalize/certify a road car involves posting bonds with the EPA and US Customs equal to the full value of the vehicle (usually with each, separately) which they often hold for years, and also prove to the NHTSA that the car meets crash safety. It's a giant pain in the dick.

Not worth it unless you're a billionaire who wants to become a millionaire. Just wait for the car.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That's not a thing. You're talking about a car with a VIN. No state is going to let you pretend it's a kit car (or non road race car) and issue you a "homebuilt" kit VIN for it.

Plus the process to import and federalize/certify a road car involves posting bonds with the EPA and US Customs equal to the full value of the vehicle (usually with each, separately) which they often hold for years, and also prove to the NHTSA that the car meets crash safety. It's a giant pain in the dick.

Not worth it unless you're a billionaire who wants to become a millionaire. Just wait for the car.
Vermont is a wild card. As for me, I’m waiting, but I’d also like a GT4 with an Emira interior