Cold start stalling

New Owner here, Just picked up my V6 Auto on the 2nd of November and basically from day one I've been having the same cold start issues as everyone else, i.e. wont start on initial start and on the 2nd startup it starts fine. This has happened consistently every single day until yesterday where the car started fine on first go and again today.

It would seem everything is all good now, but as of yesterday afternoon the "check engine" amber light is now fully illuminated. I left the car overnight and on startup again this morning the light was still on. Has anybody else experienced the same issue ie. both cold start issue and check engine light coming on?
Do you have an obd 2 reader? Normally a CEL would trigger a code. Curious to see what codes it is throwing.

An update on this from me. My car was doing the stall start consistently, but it’s stopped since I started being more careful around how I washed it - being more careful with the jet wash around the intakes. Hasn’t done it for a couple of months.

Might also be related to the drop in temps through autumn!

An update on this from me. My car was doing the stall start consistently, but it’s stopped since I started being more careful around how I washed it - being more careful with the jet wash around the intakes. Hasn’t done it for a couple of months.

Might also be related to the drop in temps through autumn!
I ruled this out a long time ago. Wet or dry the car does this. I don’t jet wash my car anyways since it has PPF.

New Owner here, Just picked up my V6 Auto on the 2nd of November and basically from day one I've been having the same cold start issues as everyone else, i.e. wont start on initial start and on the 2nd startup it starts fine. This has happened consistently every single day until yesterday where the car started fine on first go and again today.

It would seem everything is all good now, but as of yesterday afternoon the "check engine" amber light is now fully illuminated. I left the car overnight and on startup again this morning the light was still on. Has anybody else experienced the same issue ie. both cold start issue and check engine light coming on?
Firstly, thank you for your post and update on this issue. Did Lotus come back as to which “module” they were referring to that needed replacing?
They have not yet explained what exactly was being done about it. I only had quick telephone contact with the dealer about this. When I go to pick up my car again, I will find out more about what they did. In any case, the dealer told me that 3 cars with the same problem have now arrived and they have addressed the module. These have been driving around for several weeks now and no further problems have been reported from those owners with cold start problems. I won't be able to get my car back until mid-December because we are waiting for a part for the gearbox. It is only then that I can test whether the cold start problem has finally been solved or not.

They have not yet explained what exactly was being done about it. I only had quick telephone contact with the dealer about this. When I go to pick up my car again, I will find out more about what they did. In any case, the dealer told me that 3 cars with the same problem have now arrived and they have addressed the module. These have been driving around for several weeks now and no further problems have been reported from those owners with cold start problems. I won't be able to get my car back until mid-December because we are waiting for a part for the gearbox. It is only then that I can test whether the cold start problem has finally been solved or not.
Thanks for all the info. I would greatly appreciate it if you could get the details when you pick up your car and share it here. My dealer here has been rather unhelpful in resolving this issue and has been stalling me on it. Would be helpful if I could just tell them what to replace.

Thanks for all the info. I would greatly appreciate it if you could get the details when you pick up your car and share it here. My dealer here has been rather unhelpful in resolving this issue and has been stalling me on it. Would be helpful if I could just tell them what to replace.
Picked it up just a few days ago and Lotus still can’t get it right. What the actual fuck

Picked it up just a few days ago and Lotus still can’t get it right. What the actual fuck
I feel you. I have gone back and forth to the dealership 3 times for this issue. The stalling has actually gotten worse over time. The other day, it took 3 starts to get it up and running (stalled twice) as I hadn't driven the Emira for a week.

We all need to really press Lotus on this issue together. We paid good money for a brand new car that isn't even functioning properly at a basic level.

Update: The last time I posted I had the cold start issue and a check engine light issue.

Lotus sent out a tech with an OBD reader to diagnose the check engine light issue where the tech stated that the warning was triggered due to some sensors not correctly gauging the fuel mix on start-up or something along those lines, so it was a non issue, they cleared the codes but a day or two later the light came back on start-up, this however was temporary and it went away after 50 kms of driving.

The cold-start issue however seems to have gone away entirely, I'm not sure how this has happened, the only change I have made is changing the brand of petrol I fill my 98 up at. I don't know if it is linked or just coincidence but I usually fill up at Shell and and have had cold start issues on those occasions, but I recently filled up a fully empty tank at 7-11 and ever since then I have not had an issue starting up. Could just be a coincidence but ill go back to Shell next time I need to fill up to see if the cold-start issues come back.

Update: The last time I posted I had the cold start issue and a check engine light issue.

Lotus sent out a tech with an OBD reader to diagnose the check engine light issue where the tech stated that the warning was triggered due to some sensors not correctly gauging the fuel mix on start-up or something along those lines, so it was a non issue, they cleared the codes but a day or two later the light came back on start-up, this however was temporary and it went away after 50 kms of driving.

The cold-start issue however seems to have gone away entirely, I'm not sure how this has happened, the only change I have made is changing the brand of petrol I fill my 98 up at. I don't know if it is linked or just coincidence but I usually fill up at Shell and and have had cold start issues on those occasions, but I recently filled up a fully empty tank at 7-11 and ever since then I have not had an issue starting up. Could just be a coincidence but ill go back to Shell next time I need to fill up to see if the cold-start issues come back.
That's great news!

I'm wondering what sensor he is referring to though. From my experience with this engine, I can only think of the MAF sensor that would affect air/fuel ratio.

We only have 98 RON in our city, and I also fill up w/ Shell V-Power. Perhaps, I will try another brand next time.

Auto v6 here, picked mine up late September.

Exactly same cold start issues as everyone else here.. usually fill up at APCO here with 98. First start stall then second perfect. After reading others experiences here I made the issue go away by switching ignition on first then starting after a couple of seconds. Got this down to a routine and hence made the issue less of a problem, so I haven't thought of it much.

Was just in for post-running in service @1700km and had a software update at the same time. I did fill up with V-Power for the first time just before I went into service. When I asked the dealer about the issue he suggested filling up with BP.. he seemed to be aware of the problem and referenced some differences in our fuel vs that of the UK.

Issue is now worse. Ignition on before starting seems not to make a difference now. Before i blame the software update I will fill up on BP next time and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

oddly this issue has stopped occurring for me after the last software update after I took the car in for service... no change with the type of fuel I use.

Ok until now cold starts have been consistently stalling if parked more than a few hours. Just had my first full tank fill of BP Ultimate, and car started perfectly with no stall on my first cold start today. Fingers crossed, but for me at least it may be a fuel issue. I'll keep you guys posted.

Is it possible they are using a hot wire MAF without the needed temp correction on cold start? That type of sensor will read wildly wrong until it heats up, usually between 5 and 10 seconds. Sometimes they have a built in IAT sensor that also needs initialization read time delay.

[edit] After thinking about this a bit more, it's more likely that the car has the correct cold start correction factor, but the logic is being skipped for some reason. Maybe there's another temp sensor in the car that tells the ECM whether the car is already warm? Could be electronically stuck, or defaulted into a fail safe mode. We have way too little information to make real inferences, but the problems that others have had with water ingress into wiring looms makes me question the health and function of every other wired sensor and device on the car.

Last edited:
These cold start / stalling issues are most likely related to sensor / ECU issues. Lotus' software bugs just seems to be plentiful, along with unprotected electrical components from the wet. After 2 years in, you would think they have got a handle on these items.

Now I’ve got this issue as well.

I’ve done nearly 3000km in the car and it never happened for the first 2500km.
Now, every cold start is a stuttering, spluttering affair that sometimes “catches” and continues running but more often stops.
Second start attempt totally normal.

The car has only ever had BP 98 so not likely to be fuel related.

Very weird. Will have to speak to the dealer early in the new year.

I was filling 98 at the local APCO, and the cold start issue was present, although I could get around it by turning the ignition on (hold START for 5 secs) before starting the engine - normal start, no stalling.

On my previous fill, I used Shell V-Power, and ever since I had the cold start issue EVERY time the car was started after not being driven for a few hours. Turning on the ignition before starting the engine did not help at all. The issue was worse.

Then on my last fill this weekend, I used BP 98. The problem has completely gone away. I've had half a dozen cold starts since and perfect every time.

@Steve24 I feel for you because what do you do now? Go to a different BP servo?? I consider this a defect. Doesn't happen to my Merc. Or the Volvo I owned before that. Or the 3 Hondas before that. The Emira roughly cost me the Merc and Volvo put together. It is annoying and Lotus should work on a fix. As long as you're using the correct octane rating the car should start normally no matter what.

I've done 3000mi+ in a Feb '23 delivery and never had this issue...until now. Stopped to fuel up a few days ago, engine was warm having done 30mi or so, but the car wouldn't start when I was ready to set off. Dash lights come on, and I hear a tick as I attempt the start but that's it. A myriad of warning lights and other random warnings coming up as thoughts of an AA rescue flashed through my head trying over and over to get it to start. Finally I exited the car, locked it and waited 5 mins. Fortunately it started up when I tried again. Not fun.

I think it has nothing to do with fuel.
Mine only started doing it after the software update in October.
Dealer said they are expecting a Lotus software update in January .
Sometimes you wait a couple of minutes and it will restart perfectly, other times I had to wait more than 15 minutes, and it is not only on cold start. Totally random, that´s why I believe some programmer screwed up one line in the latest software script.
It never happened to me in the first 8.000 kms or so before the software update. now it´s been 6 or 7 times already and I am in the 11.000 kms.
I hope the find the glitch soon and update the software. It is making me nervous to run the car thinking next time I stop might not restart, so I am not using it much lately.

@Bilbao-Emira @frazzer - I think there are two separate start issues.

1) The cold-start stalling issue - where the engine wants to start then stalls. Possibly fuel or sensor related, but the jury is out.
2) It seems your issue is different - may be software or electrical if the engine doesn't turn at all.

I've only experienced 1)