• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION China will have the priority for 2.0 FE Emira

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I remember a video metioned that 2.0 FE will be delivered to China preferentially. Not sure if it is true. :unsure:

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think China will be getting a 400hp version of the I4
So they (Lotus) say. It’s stated in black and white on the specs in China.

Was curious about this point and the power levels stated in different markets. If the Emira was offered as 360bhp everywhere, then it’s possible they were not using the full beans S version of the engine, but rather the lower non S spec version. If they are listed as 400bhp in China it suggests they are using the higher spec version of the engine. I doubt they’d use different hardware in China and rest of the World.

Then again the China version may not be any more powerful at all. Who know….

Nobody outside of Lotus has driven the mythic beast that is the I4 AMG Engined Emira….

0pirates0

Reaction score
Isn’t China also getting the V6 Emira with 430HP and 450Nm? 😉
Yeah, after major delay of the I4 models in China, Lotus had announced the import of V6 manual model as a placebo. However, the model is not that popular in China due to: 1. price is about 30% higher(40000 pounds diff) than the I4 for the same horsepower. 2. REALLY BAD TRAFFIC JAM in China makes the manual looks dumb.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
nah, that factory is built for eletre, the electrical SUV of lotus
The new Lotus factory in Wuhan is for future EV production, apart from the EV sportscar which will be built at Hethel.

The Emira is being built in a different factory in China. I don’t have details about it but know it exists.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The new Lotus factory in Wuhan is for future EV production, apart from the EV sportscar which will be built at Hethel.

The Emira is being built in a different factory in China. I don’t have details about it but know it exists.
Interesting. I wonder if they can get a wiggle on and ship them here??

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting. I thought all Emiras were to be built at Hethel for the global market?

If there's plans to build Emiras in a Chinese factory for the Chinese market, then it's likely to be the existing Polestar2 & Volvo factory.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m a bit dubious about China production for the Emira, but we’ll see. Where exactly is that mentioned/stated?

It would piss off those in China that stumped up the big extra cost for purchasing the imported FE Emira and waited for them, if that does happen a little way down the road.

A locally produced car would result in a big saving compared to the current price point for the Emira and wipe out a chunk of the value of the FE values.

Last edited:

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, after major delay of the I4 models in China, Lotus had announced the import of V6 manual model as a placebo. However, the model is not that popular in China due to: 1. price is about 30% higher(40000 pounds diff) than the I4 for the same horsepower. 2. REALLY BAD TRAFFIC JAM in China makes the manual looks dumb.
3. Most can’t drive a manual.
4. 30% higher price for the 3.5 MT versus the 2.0 and you can’t pick any options. Pick a colour and the rest of the spec is as lotus decides.

If there is firm news that Emira will be produced in China which would mean at a significantly lower price point than the FE, then I’d be waiting for that to come I think.

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interesting. I thought all Emiras were to be built at Hethel for the global market?

If there's plans to build Emiras in a Chinese factory for the Chinese market, then it's likely to be the existing Polestar2 & Volvo factory.
The statements by Lotus have been carefully worded. Sportscar production, both ICE and EV, will continue to take place at Hethel. They didn't say "only at Hethel".

I’m a bit dubious about China production for the Emira, but we’ll see. Where exactly is that mentioned/stated?
I was told by someone senior at Lotus several months ago. I've been waiting to see if it came out in any official communications, but nothing so far that I've seen.

I've been told the cars in the showrooms in China have non-UK VIN factory codes, different to the UK cars.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The statements by Lotus have been carefully worded. Sportscar production, both ICE and EV, will continue to take place at Hethel. They didn't say "only at Hethel".

I was told by someone senior at Lotus several months ago. I've been waiting to see if it came out in any official communications, but nothing so far that I've seen.

I've been told the cars in the showrooms in China have non-UK VIN factory codes, different to the UK cars.
Hmmm. Sneaky if that’s what they are up to. Lotus certainly give the distinct impression from what’s been said that ALL ICE Lotus sports cars will be produced in Hethel.

Do you happen to know where on the Emira the Vin is located and what denotes a UK built Vin code?

Last edited:
OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't care about the place or production, as long as all cars could have the same quality. It will be a good signal if the first 2.0 FE goes off the production line.