Changes to "locked in" spec

PhilCP

Reaction score
Does anyone know why relatively minor changes to our order seem to potentially result in a delay of several months.
I imagine it's to do with just-in-time availability of parts that are stocked for the cars going down the assembly line.
However, they must have extra's of all parts to allow for damage/breakages etc and production hasn't even started on customer cars.

An example being a change from privacy glass to none. Surely they have extra glass of each type available. It's got to be more efficient to accommodate changes, rather than remove the entire build from the schedule and fit in further down the line.

Any thoughts, or perhaps insights from people who visited the factory?

g_l9wco

Reaction score
Does anyone know why relatively minor changes to our order seem to potentially result in a delay of several months.
I imagine it's to do with just-in-time availability of parts that are stocked for the cars going down the assembly line.
However, they must have extra's of all parts to allow for damage/breakages etc and production hasn't even started on customer cars.

An example being a change from privacy glass to none. Surely they have extra glass of each type available. It's got to be more efficient to accommodate changes, rather than remove the entire build from the schedule and fit in further down the line.

Any thoughts, or perhaps insights from people who visited the factory?
I went on the tour 2 weeks ago and this question was asked.
Absolutely any change will push your delivery time back by at least 2/3 months.
Not sure why, seems a bit silly if your only changing something minor tbh but this is the answer we got.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Because they want to discourage everyone from changing their specs.
yes i think its more because of this and because they can, more than due to the reality of the model they are using, but either way, we are in their hands. There are a few things I may change if I could, but to be honest, they are so small, privacy glass for example, its far far far from a deal breaker or even important and also I think the car looks good with and without

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hypothetical but let’s say all parts are accounted for and there is a build list of #x,xxx cars already. One “swap” sounds realistic but then car #xxx becomes a parts car to car #xx.

So they have this order and now because all parts are allocated they’d get to some function of limits on production and everything starts going chaotic. If it’s a just-in-time or real-time manufacturing process they don’t have xx,xxx of everything so it’s limited.

Does that make sense? They’re probably getting dozens of items in at a time rather than thousands or even hundreds so they can start building.

Instead of waiting for hundreds of something that will cover thousands of cars they’re asking for dozens to be shipped so they can get a start.

#ForTheEducatedGuessers

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Another perspective on this, look at the situation of several people being called by Lotus and offered earlier delivery slots if they take a slightly different spec from a cancellation.

As customer production hasn't started, surely the obvious thing is to delete that order, put all the allocated parts back into inventory and move everyone else one place up the queue. Or tweak the cancelled spec to exactly match the new person's spec. But no, they're intent on keeping that spec at that place in the schedule, or cancel it out completely.

I imagine it's firstly a parts supply problem in terms of timing/sequencing, and secondly not wanting to have loads of people juggling their specs and giving them a rescheduling headache.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Another perspective on this, look at the situation of several people being called by Lotus and offered earlier delivery slots if they take a slightly different spec from a cancellation.

As customer production hasn't started, surely the obvious thing is to delete that order, put all the allocated parts back into inventory and move everyone else one place up the queue. Or tweak the cancelled spec to exactly match the new person's spec. But no, they're intent on keeping that spec at that place in the schedule, or cancel it out completely.

I imagine it's firstly a parts supply problem in terms of timing/sequencing, and secondly not wanting to have loads of people juggling their specs and giving them a rescheduling headache.
Yup it all makes sense BUT again it's at the expense of the customer journey.
All feels a bit hand to mouth ordering everything in to exactly meet everyone's individual specification. Especially when given zero notice and asked to lock your spec in 7 months before delivery.
I'm adamant Lotus got my final spec wrong when I locked in before Xmas and I feel like a dick now but I did spit my dummy out (predominantly due to it being the icing on the cake of a poor CX) but it got sorted and at that point I was told (wrongly or rightly) that it shouldn't be an issue at all to do a relatively minor spec change with 4+ months to go

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Probably because they don’t have sophisticated automated systems in place to manage such changes.

How spec changes are currently processed.. 🤣
9130927A-AB7E-4F30-8D88-0CCE8B8D4BC4.jpeg

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Agh, nobody mention that there is any risk at all in erroneously specced cars being delivered.
I can't handle that stress.

Order Magma red, black wheels, no black pack, black alcantara with red stictching.
Imagine if a Shadow Grey, with tan leather and silver wheels and black pack turns up.

panic-mainwaring.gif

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agh, nobody mention that there is any risk at all in erroneously specced cars being delivered.
I can't handle that stress.

Order Magma red, black wheels, no black pack, black alcantara with red stictching.
Imagine if a Shadow Grey, with tan leather and silver wheels and black pack turns up.

View attachment 6429
And the problem with a free spec upgrade is? 🤣

OP
P

PhilCP

Reaction score
Last week I asked for a minor change. 6 months delay to my order. I asked for an explanation and await the 'magical factory' for Information
Ouch
I'm awaiting a response from the factory on how a couple of changes will impact mine. I was expecting a few months, not six.
I still don't understand these delays when production hasn't even started.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Last week I asked for a minor change. 6 months delay to my order. I asked for an explanation and await the 'magical factory' for Information
It's basically the default reply now to stop you changing your order firstly and secondly cancelling and reordering

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They need to sort this and the comms to July/Aug/Sept people in the coming week. Otherwise I can see the Lotus stand at Goodwood being crowded with frustrated Emira deposit holders looking for clearer info and explanations from the senior Lotus folks. "Coming soon" and "we're waiting on info from the factory" aren't going to cut it.

ARA

Reaction score
Is the delay only if you have locked in your spec? I've only paid my first deposit but may change my suspension choice ,but only if it doesn't delay my car. I'll contact CS tomorrow to ask, but thought I'd ask if anyone knew here. Thanks

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is the delay only if you have locked in your spec? I've only paid my first deposit but may change my suspension choice ,but only if it doesn't delay my car. I'll contact CS tomorrow to ask, but thought I'd ask if anyone knew here. Thanks
what year are you expecting your car to be delivered if you have not even paid the second fee? Am I missing something

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Only when u pay your 2nd deposit

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you haven't paid second deposit and been given a delivery month then you're fine to change. I think it's worth notifying changes as soon as you've decided though, rather than wait until asked for second deposit - some people only had a few days to pay/confirm spec.

Waiting for a test drive of Touring and Sports would be sensible and you should have time to do that.