• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

CarPlay/AndroidAuto connection lost at toll barriers

Logoman

Reaction score
Every time I arrived at a French or Italian toll barriers the connection between car and phone was lost.
Has anyone else encountered this?

EFE

Reaction score
Been home a week from a trip around France, Italy, Germany and Switzerland and passed many Tolls on French motorways without issue.

I was using the "Liber-t tag" for tolls, which fits neatly into the slot in the plastic below the rear view mirror. Car and phone connection via the USB A connection in the arm rest.

Are you using the phone with wired connection or wireless?

I do however lose connection most of the time that I turn off the ignition and restart with the phone connected. I have to unplug it and plug it in again.

Also lost sat nav and Waze a couple of times for no reason and it took between 30mins and an hour. May have been confused with the hairpins! :ROFLMAO:

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was using the "Liber-t tag" for tolls, which fits neatly into the slot in the plastic below the rear view mirror.
Is that inside the plastic shroud behind the mirror? It presumably worked ok?

I was thinking to stick my tag in there as there’s a space where the ADAS camera will go but was wondering if the black paint had anything in it that would block the signal.

Off to France next week so I’ll be testing stuff.

EFE

Reaction score
Is that inside the plastic shroud behind the mirror? It presumably worked ok?

I was thinking to stick my tag in there as there’s a space where the ADAS camera will go but was wondering if the black paint had anything in it that would block the signal.

Off to France next week so I’ll be testing stuff.
Yes I left it half in and half out which gripped the tag well without it every moving despite many a mountain pass.

I was worried about the windscreen or black area blocking the signal so took the first toll steady before the move to 30kph, full speed toll passing.

After that it all worked well

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I put the tag completely out of sight behind the mirror shroud, in the triangle space where the adas camera would go and it worked fine.

IMG_8277.jpeg

But I also had the carplay/waze freezing at toll booths issue.

Only occasionally. When it happened, coming out of carplay to the car menu and back would fix it, but one time the settings and carplay icons disappeared and only a car switch off solved it.

I wonder if its anything to do with the tag transmitting to the tollbooth?
Be interesting to know if anyone not using the tag has issues.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is an issue in Australia. Apple Play shuts off for about two seconds every time we go through a toll booth.
Suspect it's something to do with the radio frequency used for toll transmission.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just came back from Le Mans in France. I was using google maps via apple car play. I don’t have a tag. When I stopped at the barrier to pay with my credit card the route disappeared and I had to restart it. Now I know why. The tag reader must be broadcasting with a strong signal to cause that.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
CarPlay uses Bluetooth and WiFi in combination. RFID blasting under toll booths and possibly modern electronic signs on highways probably wreak havoc with either or both.
Some cars seem to be more sensitive to this. I suspect the Emiras WiFi to not be set up too well. Upon entering the car Bluetooth connects instantly, but CarPlay will have no chance to connect until after 30-40s. I guess that’s the time needed to boot up the internal WiFi network (might be a hidden one).
I'm going to figure out how long the wifi takes to get ready after cold & dark startup too

Last edited:

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I put the tag completely out of sight behind the mirror shroud, in the triangle space where the adas camera would go and it worked fine.

View attachment 28791

But I also had the carplay/waze freezing at toll booths issue.

Only occasionally. When it happened, coming out of carplay to the car menu and back would fix it, but one time the settings and carplay icons disappeared and only a car switch off solved it.

I wonder if its anything to do with the tag transmitting to the tollbooth?
Be interesting to know if anyone not using the tag has issues.
Cool!!!! Great idea!!!! I want to do the same! I hate having things attached to the windscreen of the car.... how did you do that?

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Cool!!!! Great idea!!!! I want to do the same! I hate having things attached to the windscreen of the car.... how did you do that?
Very easy.

Pop off the mirror shroud and just stick the tag holder to the glass in the triangle space.

To get the shroud off, first pull off the small section directly above the mirror by hooking something through the vents and pulling back. Then use a trim tool or similar to lever the main section downwards, front first. It’s only clipped on.

IMG_0161.jpeg

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Very easy.

Pop off the mirror shroud and just stick the tag holder to the glass in the triangle space.

To get the shroud off, first pull off the small section directly above the mirror by hooking something through the vents and pulling back. Then use a trim tool or similar to lever the main section downwards, front first. It’s only clipped on.

View attachment 28970
Great, thenaks! I'll try not to break anything!!!

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Done! Easy Peasy just as you said nevertheless I was terrified to brake anything 😬

it works flawlessly and it is a super neat solution! Thank you very much!!!!!

I’ve also had these instructions for the other bit, it might help and could be used for reference to anyone else who would like to do it

Attachments

• IMG_0525.png
    IMG_0525.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

emirahl

Reaction score
@Logoman
I had the exact same problem at more less the same route you took. Only at the French and Italian toll stations I lost connection.
Leaving the toll booth and it comes on on its own after a couple of second.
My setup
Wireless Android Auto, no tracker or anything else. Samsung S21 Ultra.
I believe either their bluetooth or wifi is interfering. I also believe that a setting on the phone should keep the Emira connection as priority. I did not fiddle around as it did not bother me, but I guess it is the phone "searching" for other networks, not the Emira.
Otherwise wireless Android Auto works all the time without any problem, connects so fast that it is up and running when sitting in the car. It starts connecting when you open the door.
Just did 5.500 km in one run 45 days June/July. Not a problem at all with exception of a flat tire, and one false alarm of the engine warning.
Love to drive it.

OP
Logoman

Logoman

Reaction score
@emirahl
your experience with the toll stations is better than mine. With my Google Pixel we would have to press a few buttons or occasionally restart the phone to get the connection back - probably took a coupe of minutes.
I'm curious about the priority setting on the phone - is it "Automatic driving mode"?

Glad to hear you had a great trip!!!!

emirahl

Reaction score
@Logoman
As I am not in France/Italy anymore I can not test on my own. What I wanted to suggest is to try it exclusively by USB cable with WIFI and Bluetooth switched off.
In an earlier post here it was mentioned the problem was there as well, but it was Apple car play and not mentioned if wifi and bluetooth was switched off while using the USB cable.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I do not have a tag, also no tragger and the problem occured after the payment by credit cards was triggered. As also mentioned no problem for me as it always came back a couple of hundred meters after the toll both.

Jarrad

Reaction score
Every time I arrived at a French or Italian toll barriers the connection between car and phone was lost.
Has anyone else encountered this?
Took the car to Le Mans and had exactly the same thing happen