• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Car & Driver review

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
We live in a crazy world where the combination of 400 horsepower and a claimed 3152-pound curb weight makes for a power-to-weight ratio well short of the most muscular supercars (the new Ferrari 296GTB has one nearly twice as potent).

Well we knew the power to weight ratio would be brought up..

The Emira's gearshift had a better weight and feel than the loose shifter of the Evora, but the linkage often seemed to snag on changes across the planes of the box, especially the shift from second to third. It also doesn't have any kind of automated rev matching in any of its modes, an omission that indicates how seriously Lotus wants owners to take the business of driving it.

We've got a long thread here about the lack of auto blip.

We need to wait to see how the Emira copes with the real world, but our first impression is overwhelmingly positive.

Ended on a positive note.. I'll take it! Nice to see some new pictures too. As with the Carfection video review, I'm looking forward to the actual production version review.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It has also said the base AMG-powered car will be available in 2023 at a $77,100 starting price.

inflation

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
one of the commenting people said this:

"I sense there was an embargo on the word “Cayman” in exchange for this early drive. I look forward to the comparison. Has this newfound refinement netted a credible Porsche alternative, or diluted the Lotus experience? I think I’m in love either way."

I agree. this is a nice paid off review. No mention of the car it emulates by the very magazine that talks about the 718 Porsche's constantly for the past few years. (I have a subscription, Porsche 718's are really discussed and reviewed A LOT).

Waiting for a real review with no silent gag orders.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
one of the commenting people said this:

"I sense there was an embargo on the word “Cayman” in exchange for this early drive. I look forward to the comparison. Has this newfound refinement netted a credible Porsche alternative, or diluted the Lotus experience? I think I’m in love either way."

I agree. this is a nice paid off review. No mention of the car it emulates by the very magazine that talks about the 718 Porsche's constantly for the past few years. (I have a subscription, Porsche 718's are really discussed and reviewed A LOT).

Waiting for a real review with no silent gag orders.
I agree. I presume the reason for this is it’s a prototype and thus not comparable to other production ready cars - which does make you wonder why it’s fine to review…just not compare.

I guess it’s better than nothing and the prototypes do appear very promising. I just wish the fact these would be track only prototype reviews was better signalled. I don’t think that’s asking too much.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
To be fair to them,and I know I wasn't blown away by Carections review,the interior looks a massive improvement.

Dare I say,almost Porsche quality

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have never and will never buy a car based on any reviewers opinion. We have a saying in Australia an opinion is like an asshole, everybody has one.

I bought the car because I absolutely love the way it looks and will sound. It suits me absolutely perfectly in every way.

The dealer in Sydney Australia is an absolute pleasure to deal with full stop.

As such can’t wait to get it.

Last edited:
OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Top Gear review makes some Porsche comparisons. But also reserves judgement until they get a production car to review next month, which is fair enough. The car probably has another few percentage points of tweaking left to do.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is a validation prototype and its hitting all the right targets , especially dynamic performance.

Lotus have made an effort to share information, keep customers informed of progress. No more, no less. Simples

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is a validation prototype and its hitting all the right targets , especially dynamic performance.

Lotus have made an effort to share information, keep customers informed of progress. No more, no less. Simples
Not so fast on that. The communication has come from alert Forum members if you are referring to the media reviews. We are overdue for a Lotus HQ bulletin that 'keeps customers informed of progress.'
I'm guessing one is in the works.

Reactions: DJS
G

Guest142

The Top Gear review makes some Porsche comparisons. But also reserves judgement until they get a production car to review next month, which is fair enough. The car probably has another few percentage points of tweaking left to do.
This*

Tom, I understood these reviews were highly anticipated and there is a lot of buzz around the Emira (I even fully expected a healthy dose of pessimism and negative feedback due simply to the current Era we are in) but what confuses me is when consumers ask for something, get what they asked for, and then get disappointed because it's not more when everyone knew upfront what they asked for was a bit premature. Not really understanding the lack of patience with Lotus by some. Well within 6 weeks all will be known. What is your take?

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not so fast on that. The communication has come from alert Forum members if you are referring to the media reviews. We are overdue for a Lotus HQ bulletin that 'keeps customers informed of progress.'
I'm guessing one is in the works.
I may not have been complete with my post.

I'm saying Lotus have made the effort to communicate the VP experience, that's all I'm referring to. I have very good communication from Lotus. Can't comment on the experience of others as I simply don't know!

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus has made almost zero effort to share information or keep customers informed of progress.

These reviews are from the media, not Lotus, and contain almost no new information on things like specifications, timing, buying process - we wouldn't expect to see all of those covered in a media review, but maybe some and certainly we'd hope for a parallel update by Lotus. If you saw for example the Top Gear review and went to find out more details on the car and how to order one, what would you find from Lotus?

It's great we get some write ups and video on how the car drives, a shame it's non-production but it looks like it's heading in the right direction and will be brilliant to drive.

Unfortunately some new areas of ambiguity and confusion have been introduced in the reviews at the same time.

I'm saying Lotus have made the effort to communicate the VP experience, that's all I'm referring to. I have very good communication from Lotus. Can't comment on the experience of others as I simply don't know!
I'm curious what you're counting as your good comms from Lotus. I think most people have had: seeing the car at Goodwood and/or a dealer roadshow, website (not updated since last September), configurator, 1-2 calls about choice of engine variant and spec, a handful of emails with limited content. That seems pretty thin in 8 months.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Tom, I understood these reviews were highly anticipated and there is a lot of buzz around the Emira (I even fully expected a healthy dose of pessimism and negative feedback due simply to the current Era we are in) but what confuses me is when consumers ask for something, get what they asked for, and then get disappointed because it's not more when everyone knew upfront what they asked for was a bit premature. Not really understanding the lack of patience with Lotus by some. Well within 6 weeks all will be known. What is your take?

I think my take is different to others, partly because I know a lot about what's going on behind the scenes and had conversations with people about what was supposed to be coming. I was expecting a more complete car to be reviewed. I knew it wouldn't be an official production car as they weren't quite available in time for reviews, but I thought it would be closer to final than this. Not having the final ride and handling setup, gear shift, exhaust sound, traction control setup, key interior aspects such as seats - those all seems like gap and a missed opportunity.

I know there will have been timing constraints and I suspect various challenges meant they had to use a VP car rather than a production one, rather than delay the reviews.

It's great to see actual drives and write ups. From a personal perspective I have never been concerned about how it drives, because I know Gavan and his team have been working hard to ensure it is the best Lotus ever from that point of view. For other people, I hope it reassures them the driving experience will be brilliant. We're not quite at the point where I can say "I told you so", but we're getting close to that.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think my take is different to others, partly because I know a lot about what's going on behind the scenes and had conversations with people about what was supposed to be coming. I was expecting a more complete car to be reviewed. I knew it wouldn't be an official production car as they weren't quite available in time for reviews, but I thought it would be closer to final than this. Not having the final ride and handling setup, gear shift, exhaust sound, traction control setup, key interior aspects such as seats - those all seems like gap and a missed opportunity.

I know there will have been timing constraints and I suspect various challenges meant they had to use a VP car rather than a production one, rather than delay the reviews.

It's great to see actual drives and write ups. From a personal perspective I have never been concerned about how it drives, because I know Gavan and his team have been working hard to ensure it is the best Lotus ever from that point of view. For other people, I hope it reassures them the driving experience will be brilliant. We're not quite at the point where I can say "I told you so", but we're getting close to that.
I wonder if we are all a little too close to the product for too long, we analyse every rumour and story and the general feeling I get is fatigue and a little frustration because of the way Lotus disseminates information, I'm especially thinking about the FE colours as an example. As early adopters we take the good with the bad

But taking a step back It won't be long now before we see a production car review.... And It's going to be ACE!

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I wonder if we are all a little too close to the product for too long, we analyse every rumour and story and the general feeling I get is fatigue and a little frustration because of the way Lotus disseminates information, I'm especially thinking about the FE colours as an example. As early adopters we take the good with the bad

But taking a step back It won't be long now before we see a production car review.... And It's going to be ACE!
Have to say I agree. I’ll personally be taking a step back and not frequent the forums as often. I have very high expectations and know from my previous buying experiences what great customer service looks like, I had expected this from lotus but it’s clear now its not their style.

It looks to be a brilliant car at a decent price. Glass half full it is.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Have to say I agree. I’ll personally be taking a step back and not frequent the forums as often. I have very high expectations and know from my previous buying experiences what great customer service looks like, I had expected this from lotus but it’s clear now its not their style.

It looks to be a brilliant car at a decent price. Glass half full it is.
Completely agree about visiting the forum as often. When you think of how many orders have been placed and the limited number of unique posters on Facebook groups or this forum then you understand most must be happy with their deposit.
This isn’t a dig at anyone because I’m a frequent poster here often a dissenting post - perhaps we expect too much, too critical of Lotus, or we observe how the experience could be Improved upon for maximum gain.

And to top it off where did comfort seats get introduced as a topic by Lotus?? 😝

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Lotus has made almost zero effort to share information or keep customers informed of progress.

These reviews are from the media, not Lotus, and contain almost no new information on things like specifications, timing, buying process - we wouldn't expect to see all of those covered in a media review, but maybe some and certainly we'd hope for a parallel update by Lotus. If you saw for example the Top Gear review and went to find out more details on the car and how to order one, what would you find from Lotus?

It's great we get some write ups and video on how the car drives, a shame it's non-production but it looks like it's heading in the right direction and will be brilliant to drive.

Unfortunately some new areas of ambiguity and confusion have been introduced in the reviews at the same time.

I'm curious what you're counting as your good comms from Lotus. I think most people have had: seeing the car at Goodwood and/or a dealer roadshow, website (not updated since last September), configurator, 1-2 calls about choice of engine variant and spec, a handful of emails with limited content. That seems pretty thin in 8 months.
Tom, by my standards Lotus facilitated the press reviews of the VP car and that is communication.

You clearly have made your mind up that " almost zero effort share information or keep customers informed of progress" has been made. So be it.

I have some comparison as I became an 'early adopter' of a 12C Mclaren after seeing a VP under shakedown at Millbrook so experienced Mclaren creating a manufacturing facility and car from ground up. They could predict ,with certainty, very little. But they ran customer clinics with the dealers inviting attendees. This connection between manufacturer and dealer is the traditional form of customer management and that seems to be absent with Lotus. Manufactures do not have end customer skills, that resides in the dealers. But they should do better, always and continuously, no doubt.

So I have sympathy with your angst, communication seems sparse in some areas of interest.

My guess communication will improve as Lotus get the confidence that what they say "sticks". Right now Porsche are closing production of many models because of the Ukraine situation as the wiring looms are sourced their.....one of many chaotic issue impacting on the car industry. Lotus have little sway with their suppliers due to their lack of scale, add the challenge of developing the car and production flow and chaos occurs.