❔ QUESTION Buying used?

SJW

Reaction score
Thinking of getting back into an Emira. Trying to avoid buying a problem car. My conclusions are that
- software problems don't phase me as they can be updated
- bubbling doors and other panels.... Difficult one as doesn't seem to effect many cars but not something you'd want post warranty. Guess it should have showed within a year?
- Electrical faults; this is my main concern with random faults (SOS, parking brake, HVAC etc). From my own experience I think this is due to wiring loom faults and or water ingress. There are quite a few cars having HVAC systems replaced more than once which requires full frontal strip down wings/fenders off job.... Imagine that post warranty!

So to summarise my question is are the electrical issues fixed on newer cars say post September 2023? Does anyone have any inside knowledge or stats to support after which manufacturing date would be safer to buy?

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
Thinking of getting back into an Emira. Trying to avoid buying a problem car. My conclusions are that
- bubbling doors and other panels.... Difficult one as doesn't seem to effect many cars but not something you'd want post warranty. Guess it should have showed within a year?
- Electrical faults; this is my main concern with random faults (SOS, parking brake, HVAC etc). From my own experience I think this is due to wiring loom faults and or water ingress. There are quite a few cars having HVAC systems replaced more than once which requires full frontal strip down wings/fenders off job.... Imagine that post warranty!

So to summarise my question is are the electrical issues fixed on newer cars say post September 2023? Does anyone have any inside knowledge or stats to support after which manufacturing date would be safer to buy?
My newest paint bubbles surfaced after nearly 1.5 years

kennyn

Reaction score
I bought a new Exige in 2018 and it needed the rear painted in 2020 due to blistering, it's an issue that can take some time to appear, but it goes from bad to worse once it starts.

OP
S

SJW

Reaction score
I bought a new Exige in 2018 and it needed the rear painted in 2020 due to blistering, it's an issue that can take some time to appear, but it goes from bad to worse once it starts.
Does anyone know what is the warranty on bodywork/blistering and Lotus' response on a 3-4 year old car?

107US

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My newest paint bubbles surfaced after nearly 1.5 years
Mine is from July 23 and fine so far (exept

Mine is from July 23 and doesn't have the faults you've mentioned ... Only a squeaking driver seat and the sealing of the drivers window needs to be fixed but dealer will have to take care of it

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does anyone know what is the warranty on bodywork/blistering and Lotus' response on a 3-4 year old car?
From what I can tell the blistering would only be covered on the standard (3 year warranty), unlike a metal bodied car there isn't a longer timeframe bodywork warranty, though there is an 8 year corrosion warranty for the chassis tub.

kennyn

Reaction score
If the car is from an approved dealer and they are prepared to fight your corner, you might be lucky...otherwise, it can be a costly fix to get it done properly.

OP
S

SJW

Reaction score
If the car is from an approved dealer and they are prepared to fight your corner, you might be lucky...otherwise, it can be a costly fix to get it done properly.
i see someone from UK has blistering on rear quster panel and Lotus have just sanded and resprayed. I wonder what length of guarantee they will give their remedy? be interesting to know what their "official" response is.

its making me think diving in with Emira ownership again might be foolish

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m trying to do a bit of research on the blistering and spoke to an Evora owner who had some minor blistering in year 4. He had a garage fix it who were experts at working with composite cars and the used a type of hardening layer that he thought was a gelcoat. He said it was definitely a 2 part product but didn’t know if anything else was put on before painting. He owned it for a further 6 years and said it looked immaculate. Just goes to show it can be done so why can’t Lotus provide a fix even if it’s through a network of trusted partners?

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I bought used with 2400 miles on it and apart from a warning light which never came back and the drivers door mechanism getting frozen once it’s not had an issue.

111s

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m trying to do a bit of research on the blistering and spoke to an Evora owner who had some minor blistering in year 4. He had a garage fix it who were experts at working with composite cars and the used a type of hardening layer that he thought was a gelcoat. He said it was definitely a 2 part product but didn’t know if anything else was put on before painting. He owned it for a further 6 years and said it looked immaculate. Just goes to show it can be done so why can’t Lotus provide a fix even if it’s through a network of trusted partners?
Similar experience with my Elise. I did my research when it came to choosing a body shop and never had an issue again. They suggested storage outside during winter with a cover on or even a warm wash during cold weather spells could have brought them out. In reality though the root cause is the manufacturing process. I’m more cautious with the Emira, garaged 99% of the time and any washes during winter are with cold water. 1 year and 3 months on no signs of any bodywork defects, yet.

111s

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On the subject of just buying an Emira rather than concentrating on bodywork defects. My car has had a few niggles, never left me stranded but maybe spent 3 weeks with B&C since purchased. I do seem to worry more about future problems than I have with any other car (probably because of what I read on here) and have at times thought maybe I should have went Porsche as anecdotally they are more reliable. As soon as I open the garage door and take it out for a drive those thoughts completely disappear, what a car. Overall there would be more enjoyment if I did less reading about potential problems!

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On the subject of just buying an Emira rather than concentrating on bodywork defects. My car has had a few niggles, never left me stranded but maybe spent 3 weeks with B&C since purchased. I do seem to worry more about future problems than I have with any other car (probably because of what I read on here) and have at times thought maybe I should have went Porsche as anecdotally they are more reliable. As soon as I open the garage door and take it out for a drive those thoughts completely disappear, what a car. Overall there would be more enjoyment if I did less reading about potential problems!
Forums can be great to chat to owners and gain experience but they can also drive you mad when there are so many negative comments. It’s human nature to bring up the bad things and also who really want hundreds of owners posting to say they have never had a starting issue for example.
Previously when I bought my last Audi if I only took the view of the forum I’d be thinking the leather will be wrinkled, it understeers so bad I’m better off getting a base fiesta and the brakes will screech constantly. In reality I had 6 years of will no issues other than a tyre pressure monitor and my sat nav having a meltdown.
Try searching 918 Cayman faults in drift 12 months. I researched several cars before buying the Emira and felt the best option was to get a skateboard. 😂

zoomdaddy

Reaction score
Mine is from July 23 and fine so far (exept

Mine is from July 23 and doesn't have the faults you've mentioned ... Only a squeaking driver seat and the sealing of the drivers window needs to be fixed but dealer will have to take care of it
Has the dealer told you how they fix the window seal issue? Mine is in the shop now with air leak near the front bottom of window.

Subw00er

Reaction score
As I understand it, the electrical gremlins are mostly solved by two things: a fully charge battery and the ECU update that was released recently. For the paint bubbling, I believe this was just earlier UK cars with the issue.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As I understand it, the electrical gremlins are mostly solved by two things: a fully charge battery and the ECU update that was released recently. For the paint bubbling, I believe this was just earlier UK cars with the issue.
Why do you believe that about the paint? Just a guess?

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ha ok that’s probably not very reliable but hope it’s true. It’s really the only issue giving me pause. Hopefully all the new owners will wash their cars a bunch so the rest of us know if the issue is resolved😁 knowing this is a past issue with previous lotus models is not a good sign though.

OP
S

SJW

Reaction score
Ha ok that’s probably not very reliable but hope it’s true. It’s really the only issue giving me pause. Hopefully all the new owners will wash their cars a bunch so the rest of us know if the issue is resolved😁 knowing this is a past issue with previous lotus models is not a good sign though.
From actual experience the gremlins were definitely NOT due to low battery voltage. Because of the random nature i suspected they were due to water ingress and worryingly there are some reports of recent US deliveries exhibiting the same. There are also paint issues on cars delivered in last 6 months. I really want to get back I to an Emira but my head says it would still be taking a big risk