AutoTrader Review

G

Guest142

After carefully watching each review numerous times studying each for every detail I could find. I've settled on the AutoTrader review (Roy Reid) as the most informative, unbiased, and accurate projection of what I can expect from the Lotus Emira. Without doubt I am certain the Emira will over deliver after seeing this review in particular. Also, the CarWow (Matt Watson) review further solidified the performance and capabilities of the Emira and really exceeded my expectations. AutoTrader reviews have been around for a long time and I find them very trustworthy, frank, and honest. Congratulations to Lotus and its partners on what I am sure is a great exotic sports car. Can't wait to take delivery later this year. 🥂

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
After carefully watching each review numerous times studying each for every detail I could find. I've settled on the AutoTrader review (Roy Reid) as the most informative, unbiased, and accurate projection of what I can expect from the Lotus Emira. Without doubt I am certain the Emira will over deliver after seeing this review in particular. Also, the CarWow (Matt Watson) review further solidified the performance and capabilities of the Emira and really exceeded my expectations. AutoTrader reviews have been around for a long time and I find them very trustworthy, frank, and honest. Congratulations to Lotus and its partners on what I am sure is a great exotic sports car. Can't wait to take delivery later this year. 🥂
ok, but the carwow, did a 0-60 which took over 5 seconds.... which he was asked not to and maybe there was a reason for it and maybe the final car wil lbe better, but it doesnt gel that performance is exceeded, unless you were expecting 0-60 of 6 seconds.
dont mean to attack your post, and I like the auto trader review also.... but the carwow one does little to encourage us imo... it worries me for the 0-60, which is something that interests me tbh in that it should be at least 4.6 otherwise its not much of a sports car.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ok, but the carwow, did a 0-60 which took over 5 seconds.... which he was asked not to and maybe there was a reason for it and maybe the final car wil lbe better, but it doesnt gel that performance is exceeded, unless you were expecting 0-60 of 6 seconds.
dont mean to attack your post, and I like the auto trader review also.... but the carwow one does little to encourage us imo... it worries me for the 0-60, which is something that interests me tbh in that it should be at least 4.6 otherwise its not much of a sports car.
The 0-60 carwow time wasn’t stellar, was it 5.3 someone said? But, in its defence I’d say that’s not too bad real world in the hands of an average customer? Not sure whether Matt Watson qualifies as one of those or is he known for hitting manufacturers claims?

I always assume these factory figures are done in optimum conditions after many practices! But at least they would be consistent with the manufacturers previous times, and so a fair comparison. For me, it’s the fact that nothing official has emerged from Lotus yet. I assume something will emerge shortly. But then I’m still hoping the wick has been turned up on the production cars!! ;)

OP
G

Guest142

In my configuration I spec'd the automatic trans. 0-60 times are not the end all for me personally. Lotus has stated 4.3 secs and I trust that will be the case plus or minus a fraction or two of a sec which will not impact my buying decision. I think we can all agree the car will have ample quickness. I hear your point, it is valid. It's just not something that gave me pause, concern, or trepidation.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The 0-60 carwow time wasn’t stellar, was it 5.3 someone said? But, in its defence I’d say that’s not too bad real world in the hands of an average customer? Not sure whether Matt Watson qualifies as one of those or is he known for hitting manufacturers claims?

I always assume these factory figures are done in optimum conditions after many practices! But at least they would be consistent with the manufacturers previous times, and so a fair comparison. For me, it’s the fact that nothing official has emerged from Lotus yet. I assume something will emerge shortly. But then I’m still hoping the wick has been turned up on the production cars!! ;)
I hope your right, but this guy does a LOT of 0-6/100 tests all over the place and yes he knows what hes doing..... I dont like him much, but he gets far more views than Evo generally so I am in the minority.My real point was the author was saying the review solidified the performance side, where as I would say it did exactly the opposite. if Lotus say 4.3 and the review shows 5.3, its far from solidifying, its more like melting or smelting it haha.
No one buys a car based on 0-60 of course, but if a car cant easily do it in less than 5 seconds, then I dont class it much as a sports car... if not a GT car, plain and simple. And if I want a gran tourer car, then I will get one with real luggage space... not weekend space.
I believe and hope the car will comfortably beat 5 seconds in our normal hands.... and I will be asking to see a real driver do it in less than that at my track day at hethel next month.. and I will be asking WTHell if its over 5 seconds.. hah

OP
G

Guest142

I hope your right, but this guy does a LOT of 0-6/100 tests all over the place and yes he knows what hes doing..... I dont like him much, but he gets far more views than Evo generally so I am in the minority.My real point was the author was saying the review solidified the performance side, where as I would say it did exactly the opposite. if Lotus say 4.3 and the review shows 5.3, its far from solidifying, its more like melting or smelting it haha.
No one buys a car based on 0-60 of course, but if a car cant easily do it in less than 5 seconds, then I dont class it much as a sports car... if not a GT car, plain and simple. And if I want a gran tourer car, then I will get one with real luggage space... not weekend space.
I believe and hope the car will comfortably beat 5 seconds in our normal hands.... and I will be asking to see a real driver do it in less than that at my track day at hethel next month.. and I will be asking WTHell if its over 5 seconds.. hah
Do you think Lotus will do an official 0-60 at Goodwood?

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Do you think Lotus will do an official 0-60 at Goodwood?
aha.... would be nice but no, they wont I guess as the conditions will probably not be "perfect" and they will leave themselves open to critics ... which they keep doing time and time again, by not releasing the finished car haha.
Evo will do one though I guess when they get the car on cup tyres this month no doubt.

OP
G

Guest142

aha.... would be nice but no, they wont I guess as the conditions will probably not be "perfect" and they will leave themselves open to critics ... which they keep doing time and time again, by not releasing the finished car haha.
Evo will do one though I guess when they get the car on cup tyres this month no doubt.
I did take notice in the CarWow review of the fact that Lotus did not want Mat Watson to do timed tests for braking and 0-60. I just figured the numbers they gave would bare out plus or minus a tenth of a second or two based on conditions. Hopefully this will get addressed. It's a fair criticism(won't impact my buying decision but a very fair criticism nonetheless). Great reply.

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In my configuration I spec'd the automatic trans. 0-60 times are not the end all for me personally. Lotus has stated 4.3 secs and I trust that will be the case plus or minus a fraction or two of a sec which will not impact my buying decision. I think we can all agree the car will have ample quickness. I hear your point, it is valid. It's just not something that gave me pause, concern, or trepidation.
Auto is the way forward 👌🏽 Half of these guys wing be able to move the stock quick enough to get below the 5 seconds any way 🤣🤣👌🏽

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Rory's review is my favorite as well and also the most positive. Confirmation bias? Possibly...

I've watched it 5 times so far and he's the only one who mentions the brakes! He also doesn't seem to have any problems with the steering wheel, which is comforting since he appears to whip it around the track pretty aggressively attempting to make it slide.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Rory's review is my favorite as well and also the most positive. Confirmation bias? Possibly...

I've watched it 5 times so far and he's the only one who mentions the brakes! He also doesn't seem to have any problems with the steering wheel, which is comforting since he appears to whip it around the track pretty aggressively attempting to make it slide.
I’m a fan of his. I do enjoy his reviews.
Brought something different to the reviews with his context.

SemiF19

Reaction score
Here's the bottom line with the Emira folks, it's not a fast car. It's got 400hp and weighs over 3000 lbs. This seems similar to what my 2016 GT4 could do. Decently quick, but by no means is it going to beat any real performance car in a straight line, period. I have a 2018 ZLE Camaro and I know for a fact the Emira is going to feel slow. Now I personally don't really care about straight line speed. I want a great handling car that looks awesome, is reasonably quick and is unique. I think the Emira is all of those things, but I'm not kidding myself into believing this car could even remotely be considered high performance. I'm on the fence right now, but keeping my deposit in. I need to see it in person before making a final decision. The one feature I really, really wanted was rev match. Highly disappointed that's not a feature on this car.

SemiF19

Reaction score
And just so folks know I'm not a hater, when I first saw a picture of the Emira I absolutely fell in love with it. I thought, "This is the one!" I wanted so badly for it to be awesome. My gut tells me it's going to be a good car but not the game changer I thought it would be. Is that going to be good enough to make everyone happy, I'm not sure.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the bottom line with the Emira folks, it's not a fast car. It's got 400hp and weighs over 3000 lbs. This seems similar to what my 2016 GT4 could do. Decently quick, but by no means is it going to beat any real performance car in a straight line, period. I have a 2018 ZLE Camaro and I know for a fact the Emira is going to feel slow. Now I personally don't really care about straight line speed. I want a great handling car that looks awesome, is reasonably quick and is unique. I think the Emira is all of those things, but I'm not kidding myself into believing this car could even remotely be considered high performance. I'm on the fence right now, but keeping my deposit in. I need to see it in person before making a final decision. The one feature I really, really wanted was rev match. Highly disappointed that's not a feature on this car.

Agreed. I know it's not going to blow my socks off, but will it be fun and exciting to drive? Will it be exciting for passengers too? I'm really looking for maximum driver engagement and reliability in an exotic car. Something I can enjoy every single weekend. The basic creature comforts like AC, heated seats, and Android Auto are nice to have.

I just want it to shift and handle well, while hearing that sublime supercharged V6 scream behind my head.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
And just so folks know I'm not a hater, when I first saw a picture of the Emira I absolutely fell in love with it. I thought, "This is the one!" I wanted so badly for it to be awesome. My gut tells me it's going to be a good car but not the game changer I thought it would be. Is that going to be good enough to make everyone happy, I'm not sure.
I’m with you based upon on the numbers and some of the reviews.

But, Lotus cars do feel like they’re going very fast. And, objectively they are going fast, a very short blip on the right pedal and I expect you’ll be way over any speed limits on the road.

My 118hp Elise is plenty fast enough on the road and a heap load more fun than 99% of cars.

But I agree, it’s difficult to convey that if the numbers don’t say it. Let’s face it though, from the traffic lights many mediocre 4 wheel drive EVs are going to out accelerate almost any 2 wheel car. Porsche GT products included.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There's also one other important thing to consider. This is the last concert of the farewell tour of the ICE era. Do you want to go and be a part of it? Or just wish you had...

This changes things. I want this car for what it is, what it represents, and what it's going to do for me. A drop-dead gorgeous car with a supercharged V6, manual transmission, and it's a Lotus.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Unless you step out of an EV or real supercar then this car will still feel fast.
The real smile will be on the corners and the brakes - if performance matters a huge amount.

I will happy enough pootling along at 20 MPH giving people the chance to look at one of the best looking cars ever made. I believe we owe that to the public :D

OP
G

Guest142

There's also one other important thing to consider. This is the last concert of the farewell tour of the ICE era. Do you want to go and be a part of it? Or just wish you had...

This changes things. I want this car for what it is, what it represents, and what it's going to do for me. A drop-dead gorgeous car with a supercharged V6, manual transmission, and it's a Lotus.
This. This part. 🥂

OP
G

Guest142

Unless you step out of an EV or real supercar then this car will still feel fast.
The real smile will be on the corners and the brakes - if performance matters a huge amount.

I will happy enough pootling along at 20 MPH giving people the chance to look at one of the best looking cars ever made. I believe we owe that to the public :D
I tell my kids all the time...I like to drive fast cars slow.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think I also liked this review the best, and it encapsulates my feelings for the car. Pretty soon cars like the Emira will be another of those "they just don't make them like this anymore" things, so I want to make sure I get one before it's gone. Cmon Lotus get the production line running!