• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone thinking of Matting their Emira ?

AR2

Reaction score
I’ve been really thinking of applying a matte PPF film on my VG with Blackpack, for a real stealthy look. Maybe even tinting it with some slightly reflective window tint, to give that fighter jet look. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I wonder what the VG will look like in matte… anyone else thinking of matting ? I think Nimbus gray would look great in matte too.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was considering it (on the blue)... but I'd really want to see it in person before committing to doing the whole car.
Or I guess I could do it on the cheap, and let the kids wash the car a few times 😬

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Be a shame to cover up all the lovely high metallic paint. But this could look pretty interesting on the FE colours. Would love to see the results

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was/am considering as part of my PPF on the Hethel yellow. It's a flat (non metallic) color anyway and I've seen some super cars in flat yellow that look pretty sweet.

I can't visualize what it would look like with matte VG. I'm thinking it would actually "lighten" the look as it'll have a rough surface to pick up light over the very deep metallic of VG. I could be totally wrong though. As I said I can't really visualize what it would look like.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I was/am considering as part of my PPF on the Hethel yellow. It's a flat (non metallic) color anyway and I've seen some super cars in flat yellow that look pretty sweet.

I can't visualize what it would look like with matte VG. I'm thinking it would actually "lighten" the look as it'll have a rough surface to pick up light over the very deep metallic of VG. I could be totally wrong though. As I said I can't really visualize what it would look like.
“Hold my beer” - @Eagle7
:)

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Matte black lightens up a lot I bet the green would do the same

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
“Hold my beer” - @Eagle7
:)
So funny you posted that.. as the color and trimming requests were raging, I was holding off asking @Eagle7 for matte finishes because I didn't want to overwhelm.. but... eh... ehem.. some matte versions of FE colors would be pretty sweet ;-) Hint hint..

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I plan on belt sanding it and then pouring various acids on it to improve it's look

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Huge “no” for me. I am not a fan of the matt cars I see driving around town. 🤢🤮

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira doesn’t strike me as the vehicle to do a matt finish. Usually, cars with curves and swoops look better with high gloss (and even better, multi-layer lustrous finishes). Flat surfaces with sharp creases and scalloping tend to favor the matt look.

BMW and Mercedes are the kings of scalloping and very sharp crease lines (I believe BWM perfected the sheet metal stamping process). Hence, they look pretty cool with flat finishes.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A matte finish is a very specialized look, and it's success depends on the color and the car it's on. A 40% gloss pearl white on a Z28 was stunning. A 300zx in matte black just looked like it had a primer coat on it, and was waiting to be painted. It doesn't always work. From what I've seen, matte tends to work better on lighter colors than darker ones.

The Emira has such a beautifully sculpted shape though. The gloss finish allows light to play across the surface shapes to illuminate how beautiful they are. It's not a distraction, it's an enhancement.

If you want to go for the stealth fighter look, with the right accents, matte black would work on the Emira, but it's not for everybody. This would be more suitable for the Evija, because you'd need the horsepower to back it up.

Emira stealth.png

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd matte the entire car, but it might look cool.. depending on the color. I have considered "ghost stripes" aka matte stripes that are the same color as the factory paint. I saw it on a balloon white Lambo and thought it looked pretty good.

Last edited:

daveparky84

Reaction score
Love Matt cars when done right but I actually think Emira will benefit from the lovely metallics on offer. I’d love to see one though haha

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A matte finish is a very specialized look, and it's success depends on the color and the car it's on. A 40% gloss pearl white on a Z28 was stunning. A 300zx in matte black just looked like it had a primer coat on it, and was waiting to be painted. It doesn't always work. From what I've seen, matte tends to work better on lighter colors than darker ones.

The Emira has such a beautifully sculpted shape though. The gloss finish allows light to play across the surface shapes to illuminate how beautiful they are. It's not a distraction, it's an enhancement.

If you want to go for the stealth fighter look, with the right accents, matte black would work on the Emira, but it's not for everybody. This would be more suitable for the Evija, because you'd need the horsepower to back it up.

View attachment 3910
Holy Batman! Emira in vantablack. 😲

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira doesn’t strike me as the vehicle to do a matt finish. Usually, cars with curves and swoops look better with high gloss (and even better, multi-layer lustrous finishes). Flat surfaces with sharp creases and scalloping tend to favor the matt look.

BMW and Mercedes are the kings of scalloping and very sharp crease lines (I believe BWM perfected the sheet metal stamping process). Hence, they look pretty cool with flat finishes.
That's a very good point. The yellow matte I have seen is usually like a hurcan or other lambo. Very jagged and sharp indeed.

driv300mph

Reaction score
Scoured IG for some examples... Shadow Gray, Seneca Blue, Dark Verdant & Magma Red. There's another Dark Verdant example out there I came across the other day, but had trouble finding it again.

Strongly considering it for my Seneca!

1711937625441.png
1711937662118.png

1711938216625.png

1711937810948.png

1711937825527.png

1711937974376.png

Attachments

• 1711937796021.png
    1711937796021.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

tnbuilder

Reaction score

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Here is a preview of what mine would look like ( shadow gray) with stealth PPF.
I actually really like it but I do love shadow gray as is for now so I’m going to keep it how it is for a few years and then I’ll do a stealth PPF

Attachments

• IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6137.jpeg
    IMG_6137.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 60

driv300mph

Reaction score
Here is a preview of what mine would look like ( shadow gray) with stealth PPF.
I actually really like it but I do love shadow gray as is for now so I’m going to keep it how it is for a few years and then I’ll do a stealth PPF
Nice - are you going to invest in Gloss PPF now and consider a color change later?